Author Topic: Difficulty hearing  (Read 11431 times)

luv2teachsped

Difficulty hearing
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:33:24 pm »
Hi everyone!  I am not complaining, but I think my biggest hurdle has been not being able to hear, especially in large groups.  People can be very rude, even if they know you have a hearing loss.  Any suggestions on how to cope?  I am returning to teaching in a few weeks, and I think this is my biggest worry.  I attended a class a few weeks ago with these samew teachers, and came away very frustrated.  Help!!  Thanks luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Goldineye

Re: Difficulty hearing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 09:33:23 pm »
Love2teachsped, I am having the same problem.  I heard the cross hearing aids help but I haven't gone to get them yet. I hope sometime in the next 2 weeks I will get a chance to go out and find someone here on the Island that has them.All I can tell you is I wish you luck with the noise in school.It will be hard for you if one of the children are calling for you. You will have to figure out which one it is if your not looking at them when they call your name. But if your like me your already use to that. Funny story , I was in the bank and the teller said" Hi can I help you" so I went up to her and started to tell her that I didn't have my account number with me ,and asked if I can give her my liscence so that I can make a deposit. she said" oh sorry honey I did't call you she did" pointing to the teller next to her. Everyone was laughing so I proceeded to tell her I was deaf and was having a hard time figuring out where the sounds are coming from. So if any thing you will all have a nice little chuckle.But God willing , you will do fine.Look into the cros hearing aids . Keep in touch  Glodineye.
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

heyyouconnie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 07:09:10 am »
Oh my, I have such a hard time understanding people. I have learned to focus on hearing with the good ear. I sit at a table with the good ear the closest, walk beside someone with the good ear side. It just makes life so much easiler. I don't understand what someone is saying and lots of times, just agree with whatever they say. I know it would be hard for me to be in a room full of small children and try to understand them. When I am in a loud enviroment for too long, I can get such a headache too. Good luck to you and I hope it doesn't drive you crazy.

Kim

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:48:57 am »
Yes, all of the above for me, too!  I think the pin available for purchase on the ANA website is a good idea.  My kids are in the process of making me some that match my wardrobe.  At first I didn't want one, because I felt like I was "advertising" my problem, or a need for sympathy or something.  Now, 10 months later, I see it's just a very helpful tool.  Even my family and coworkers forget about my hearing sometimes.

On the upside, if there's noise at night (and with 4 teenagers, there always is) I just turn onto my good side and sleep like a baby!

Static

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 04:12:36 pm »
Oh my!  Everything everyone said I can definitiely relate to.  I think what bothers me most is that people think that because you can hear on one side it doesn't make much of a difference but it most definitely does.   Also, it is very true that many people can be very rude about it when you try to "remind" them that you cannot hear them.  I think with my family it's just frustration on their part but I don't think they realize how frustrated I am all the time and I don't say anything because they just don't get it.  Just trying to hang in there and use whatever tricks or means necessary to get by!   :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

matti

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 05:17:23 pm »
Ditto to everything!!!  I get frustrated and hurt when I ask someone to repeat themselves and they say "just forget it". Makes me feel like I have done something wrong.  Majority of the time, I just nod my head like I understand what they are saying, even though I don't. The only positive note regarding my hearing loss, is the ability to tune out my snoring husband and dog. Other than that it has been a daily struggle for 7 years.

When I am out, the first thing I do is locate the best hearing postion possible, I will ask for a table next to a wall or furthest away from the middle of the room. I try to avoid places that have loud back ground music. My local newspaper prints restraunt reviews and I asked them to also add noise levels in their review. They happily obliged and each review contains noise levels and if they have background music as well.

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

thecakes

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 05:49:11 am »
  Oh Matti, I hate that "just forget it " thing  I'v had that said to me alot before and it makes me feell very belittled.  I feel like a bother to be around other than a fun person.  I always get lost in a conversation, thats no picnic.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:33:17 am »
Hey luvs jealr is back in the classroom maybe she can give you some pointers.  I've not been back due to my speech problem but realize the few times I've visited that I won't be able to handle it hearing wise so am looking for a new career path!

I get a crick in my neck constantly turning my head so my good ear is closest to the speaker.  I keep having to remind family and friends  they are on the wrong side.  I think with some family memebers they forget which side is my bad side because my grandma's is the opposite side.  We drive my  mom nuts when we're all together.  She calls us bookends  lol 

FRUSTRATING! >:(

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 11:00:57 am »
Get a Baha!!! My biggest hurdle also was the hearing loss. The day I was in the car with my 9yo and asked him 3 times to repeat himself and he said "oh forget it" (I heard that), I was heartbroken. I've found the car to be a great place to get my kids to talk!  I investigated the Baha, applied to insurance and was approved. The surgery was SCARY because of all the memories it brought up from last time BUT it was easy. I was home by lunch! There was hardly any pain. I did have a massive headache the day of surgery but Tylenol took care of it. I had a dull headache for a few weeks after, nothing too bad. And that's it. When I got the sound processor I was excited to "hear" my kids in the car again. I don't have to play the an shuffle anymore and I can follow conversations in groups again.  Now, it's not perfect and I still get frustrated sometimes but when I forget to put it on I really regret it. 

I was 9 mo post op when I first considered the Baha and 15 mo post op when I had the implant.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:28:43 pm »
Pembo do you have tinnitus?  I was told I wasn't a candidate due to the tinnitus in both ears..still trying to get clarification on that

Pembo

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 10:00:06 am »
Batty, I do have some in the "deaf" ear. It doesn't make it go away though.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 11:52:03 am »
Then I'll just have to resign myself to this darn noise for the next 40 years or so! 

I laugh at the tv ads that say will "cure" tinnitus...could you imagine the industry they'd have it was true? 

Pembo

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 06:10:31 pm »
I wish there was a cure! Sometimes it is louder for me, other times I don't even notice it. I was having trouble with my Baha and it was causing white noise too! They replaced it and it's gone.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 06:37:20 pm »
Hey BP!
      You mentioned your "crick" in your neck.  Would you believe I have a herniated disc in my neck?  It makes me wonder if its from all that turning!!!   Just kidding!  As I go back and read past posts, it's good to see how far we've all come!   I am coming upon one year(whew, doesn't seem like it was that long ago!) and can say that I'm finally learning to speak up and advocate for myself!  My students are the least of my worries.  I guess they're probaly used to being told I can't understand you, so I can't hear you isn't any different.   We are all very patient with each other!  I've thought of a BAHA, but frankly I can't seem to imagine another brain surgery!  Take Care-luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:58:23 am »
I have bulging disc in C3-C7 and a herniated disc in T11-12.  From being hit by a drunk driver!  I know that makes my "crick" worse.  My neck is stiff just about every morning when I wake up.  UGH!
I have thought about the baha but was told it wouldn't help :(