Author Topic: Difficulty hearing  (Read 11432 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Difficulty hearing
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 11:34:52 am »
hearing is still fairly intact post treatment but the tinnitus is driving me crazy!  When outside, I'm finding noises such as sirens, motorcycles, etc are the killers. Restaurant crowds as well. Been shoving cotton in my ears during times like that. Last night, PapaPearl (my dad) was over... was running into "muffled" hearing as well. I know it's still too soon post-treatment but REALLY hoping some of this alieviates soon.. and if not, I'm going to monitor this thread for remedies/suggestions. At this point, I truly believe I'm going to have to muster mental strength and learn to "deal" with it now.... thanks all for sharing here as you have.

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

luv2teachsped

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 07:26:29 pm »
Phyl:
       Although my "good"hearing is not hypersensitive, many here have said their hearing is very sensitive post AN.  Hopefully someone will have some suggestions.  Glad to hear things are going well so far.  Although I don't post very often anymore, I do read every night and keep up on everyone.  Even if you"wenches" are a little too loopy for me!!!  Glad you can have fun!!!Take Care-luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 09:00:17 pm »
Us wenches loopy?  Surely you jest  ;) :-*

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 10:28:11 pm »
luv2teach, thank you for sharing that with me....definately still sensitive post treatment but actually, so far, so good! :)  I know we are a little loopy sometimes, but our hearts are in the right place... I'll take some loopy anyday, in light of what we all are enduring. Sending you hugs and wishes for a terrific holiday weekend!

yeah, you too, batty! :)
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jeanlea

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 09:47:15 am »
My students have djusted to my being deaf in one ear.  They usually remember which ear to talk into.  We also have the joke about the kids I can hear even if I do hear with only one ear.  LOL. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

luv2teachsped

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 07:11:39 pm »
Hi JeanLea!
  The big joke in our room is to call out somewhere in the room and watch Mrs. J turn circles trying to find the person.!!   We all get a big laugh! Yesterday, as we were walking the class down the hall for bathroom break I turn around and "shushed" the kids behind me, only to have the kids and my assistants laugh and point to the kids in front of me.   Hey, if you don't have fun with it?  I have pretty much gotten used to my SSD and goofy walk at times, everyone close to me just laughs with me.  We just try and keep the kids with Cerebal Palsy from hanging on to me, as we both usually end up bumping into the wall or falling on the floor.Have a great Easter everyone!!   I think(I know!) , I talk more with people on the board than I do with my own children anymore.  You know how that is, ages 20 and 22, they have their own lives!!Luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan

cookiesecond

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 06:22:56 am »
I am adjusting to ssd also as I had lost most of my right side hearing before surgery. My husband and children have adjusted to sitting on my "good" side.Actually, it's kinda funny, my daughter said she and my husband have a heck of a time walking in the mall etc... because both are used to walking on the left side!!!
Loud noises still bother me and I still don't like the TV or radio too loud but life is good as I am continually improving!!
Have a blessed Easter,
Lynn

Static

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 09:24:05 am »
2 yrs post op and still having a very difficult time.  I end up just having to tell people I am deaf in one ear so they don't think I'm being ignorant, because they do sometimes.  I don't want sympathy, just understanding.  When I hear the "well you can still hear in the other ear" it pisses me off because SSD makes hearing in general so difficult, but I don't have to tell any of you that!  I am not a candidate for a baha and can't afford a cros right not (from what I've heard, not sure it would work for me either).  Hopefully the "static" in my head will lessen with time.  As for the loopyness, omg, I stumble for no reason and I never know when I will, so yes, I'm loopy, very!  My kids and dh can attest to that one.  Should we start a loopy club? LOL
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 04:25:11 pm »
I just tell people I'm "partially deaf" and leave it at that.  The worst are service people who ask you questions while you're looking thru your wallet or something and you have no idea you've even been spoken to.  When you look up they stare at you like you're being rude!  I just say, "I'm sorry did you speak to me--I'm partially deaf" and most of them will speak up.  My hubby is the worse!  He thinks he can yell something to me from another room and I'll actually hear it with the TV or radioMargaritaville on!  I quit saying WHAT? WHAT? and just ignore him.  Trying to train him to get at least within eyeshot before he says any thing to me!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 07:41:53 pm »
I think we should be the "wonky-headed crew"  loopy sounds like we're crazy and that we are not  lol 

luv2teachsped

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 08:01:41 pm »
"wonky headed crew" ummm I guess that is better than "loopy".  I agree with Deb the worst are the service people.  Just happened again today.  I look up and the cashier is just looking at me!  I too say"sorry, I'm partially deaf" and they usually just repeat"paper or plastic?"  I don't however assume anything anymore.  The last time I just said "plastic please", and I got I very dumbfounded look from both the cashier and the bagger.  I forget what they asked now, but it had nothing to do with "plastic or paper"!  luv2teach :o
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan

Battyp

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 11:10:50 pm »
I stopped at the 7-11 to get a lottery ticket..figured I can't win if I don't buy one  LOL  the guy said something about what the man in front of me said..I told him I'm sorry I didn't hear him I'm deaf in my left ear (the other customer was standing on my left side) and the guy said..HUH What'd ya say poking fun of me.  Needless to say I'm not in poking fun of mood and had to bite my tongue to leave without lashing as the guy was trying to be funny.  I had just come from church where I cried and paniced the entire time I was there.  UGH!  :'(

luv2teachsped

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2006, 03:13:52 pm »
Batty: I'm am so sorry.  Unfortuantely there are always those who have  nothing better to do than to poke fun of others.  After 25 long ,miserable years in a marriage ,I now understand that those people cut others down to puff themselves up.Ironically, one of the worse people for making fun of me, is an uncle who himself has a cleft palate and is hard of hearing!(unfortunately, he is also married to my mother, don't even go there!)  But he is a miserable person who thinks life has "stuck it to him", and lives to get back at others for the pain he felt his whole life, growing up.Pay no attention to them girl!   Hope you had a nice, relaxing Easter!luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan

Battyp

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2006, 08:17:53 pm »
Hey teach your'e in Michigan not arkansas! 

Have you ever heard that diddy I'm married to my grandma? 
I ignored him and bit my tongue as I was already down enough with out that.  Should have just gone home instead of trying to win the lottery  LOL  I only got two numbers to add insult to injury!

Jeff

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2006, 10:13:31 pm »
I currently have SSD (right side) due to NF2.  My sister was born deaf on her right. The first time I saw her after losing my hearing, we had a heck of a time walking together. We both naturally tried to walk to the right of each other. When walking down the hall of a hospital where my Dad was having AN surgery, we nearly crashed into the wall, as we both veered to the right so we could hear the other. We just stopped and laughed.

I too am a teacher (middle school), and not being able to locate the source of a sound has been frustrating. I have informed my students that if they ask a question without also raising their hand, they will be ignored. This works most of the time. The faculty and staff that I work with have been great. Many of them try to orient themselves so that I can hear them. Noisy situations are frustrating, but I try to concentrate on imroving my speech reading skills in these situations. During my last year of teaching middle school band, while in a room with 150 students warming up their instruments before a concert, I noticed a girl who was chewing gum, which was a big no-no with me. I got her attention from across the room and motioned for her to spit the gum out. She looked at me and said "Bite me," assuming that since I couldn't hear her that I wouldn't know what she said. She was quite embarassed when I walked over to her and said "no, I will not bite you." At least sometimes there is humor in all of this!

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08