Author Topic: Bodies  (Read 3427 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Bodies
« on: March 23, 2007, 11:59:13 am »
Hey I just got back from the exhibit in Miami called Bodies.  The amazing thing about this exhibit is the beauty of the human body, literally!  A technique was developed in Germany to replace the water in muscle tissue, arteries, viens, and organs so as to display the human body without the skin for all to see.  I could not believe the beauty in seeing the different muscle groups or bones, the arteries and veins alone (they took away the bones, muscles and enhanced only the veins & arteries) made me look at the human species with new wonderment.  Some exhibits inside our bodies looked much like coral found on a reef.  I highly recommend all see this exhibit when and if it comes to your town.  Too bad they didn't have a brain on display with an AN, but seeing where mine was I can now appreciate the size of the compartment the surgeons deal with in removal of AN's--WOW!  Teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy microscopic--guess that's why they call it micro surgery! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Bodies
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:16:51 pm »
Hi Karen,

It just came through Boston. I didn't get to see it but heard from friends that it is a truly amazing exhibit. I heard the "pregnant woman" was a bit difficult to view, but the remaining exhibits were great.  I'm sorry I missed it while it was here.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:32:43 pm »
Okay, there must be different exhibits as "the pregnant" woman was not on display.  Heard about the Mutter Museum in Philly and am going to see this while at the Symposium.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:12:14 pm »
sounds like the exact same exhibit, karen... hmmmmmmmm... there was the ballerina as well.. does that ring a bell? Has to be the same. Didn't know it would be in Philly at time of symposium... good to know :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:29:58 pm »
There are a couple of competitors.  The original, and the one that was recently in Boston, is "Body Worlds."  Other companies have since used the same techniques to make their own shows - including "BODIES... The Exhibition" that is currently in FL.  The guy who invented the technique and originated "Body Worlds" is suing some of the other companies for copyright infringement, but it isn't clear that he has a good case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds

Katie

P.S.  Why I know this, I have no idea.  You'd think my brain would be too full of actual useful information to keep this tidbit around!   ;)
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

matti

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 04:18:42 pm »
I saw something similar in San Francisco last year, I found it fascinating and highly recommend it. Amazing to see the innerworkings of the human body.  I don't remember a ballerina, but do recall a bike rider and tennis player. The only exhibit that I found hard to look at was one where the body was totally skinned and he was holding a clothes hangar that held his skin. Interesting, but eeeewww!

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:28:30 pm »
  I believe the process is called plastination, where they replace body structures with latex.  The surprising part, to me, was that these folks have more people who want to donate their bodies (to science?) after their death than they can use.
  It is facinating to see the inner workings of the body.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 02:35:09 am »
I remember seeing a live TV programme where the german artist performed the transformation in a disection lab at an university. Fascinating. Can't remember his name now of course... never managed to see the exhibition though.
Lorenzo

Desilu

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:30:01 pm »
Hi All,

Body Worlds 2 exhibit is at the Museum of Science of Industry in Chicago. It runs through April 29th.

From my AAA magazine it says:  The specimens are real people, after all, who chose to donate their bodies to science and be plastinated (i.e., have their fluids and soluble fat sucked out, replaced with resins and elastomers, and then undergo curing with light, heat and gases).  The process retains the bodies' natural color and structure, so what results in an unflinchingly realistic look inside ourselves-red veins, white-gray bones, blackened lungs and all.

I knew subscribing to AAA magazine would be good for something, someday! I haven't seen the exhibit yet but plan to before it leaves Chicago.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger