Author Topic: proton beam therapy  (Read 3140 times)

SuzeAN

proton beam therapy
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:23:16 am »
Is anyone familiar with proton beam treatment?   I haven't seen anything mentioned about that in the radiosurgery section and was curious if anyone had any experience or information about this? javascript:void(0);
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

Mark

Re: proton beam therapy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:32:48 pm »
Hi SuzeAN,

You've probably already seen Dr. Medberry's response to your proton beam question from the CPSG board, but just for those who may be curious here it is

----------------------------------
Dr. Medberry

Probably the best proton series is that from the Massachusetts General Hospital. THey reported 5 year control rate of 94%, probably slightly inferior to Gamma Knife and CyberKnife. They also reported a disturbingly high rate of complications:
3.4% required a shunt for hydrocephalus
Serviceable hearing was retained in only 33% of those with hearing prior to treatment
about 10% had facial nerve dysfunction
about 10% had facial numbness or other trigeminal nerve dysfunction

Protons probably give more inhomogeneous treatment, possibly relating to the higher complicatioin rate. We would not expect to see those sorts of problems with GK or CK. MGH commented that complication rates would be lower with a lower dose, but did not report any real data, and they already have a marginal control rate.

I would get CyberKnife or Gamma Knife, and would favor the former.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

-------------------------

Personally, I don't know much about this technology but I am aware that Loma Linda also utilizes it. I have seen a couple of people who had it post results over the last couple of years and unfortunately seemed to have simiilar complications to what Dr. Medberry references. At a minimum, I don't get the sense it is very proven in the treatment of AN's

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

SuzeAN

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:47:49 am »
Thanks for the info, just checking out all of the options, the information from the general questions forum was awesome!  I am now in contact with Dr Daspit at Barrows to see if CK is an option for me. 

much appreciation,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

russ

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:37:57 pm »
Is anyone familiar with proton beam treatment?   I haven't seen anything mentioned about that in the radiosurgery section and was curious if anyone had any experience or information about this? javascript:void(0);

Hi SuzeAN!
  I believe also with the high percentage of adverse outcomes, the treatment is quite expensive and 'may' pose a problem for some insurances, Medicare or state Medicaid. Seems maybe a bit experimental yet.
  On another forum I did read of quite high facial parylysis %s as reported by a Dr on the forum. Not the cyber group.
  Best wishes to you!!
  Russ