Author Topic: Another Stupid Question (3) - Driver's License after Surgery  (Read 6412 times)

OTO

Another Stupid Question (3) - Driver's License after Surgery
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:34:13 pm »
I know that it takes awhile for you to be able to drive after surgery, but does the State actually take away your license?  (I don't know where I heard that somewhere...).  I wonder if it depends on what State you live in?   

ceeceek

Re: Another Stupid Question (3) - Driver's License after Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:12:00 pm »
Depends in Fl at least what your surgeon files..but generally no.....if you have traditional surgery, it is common place to be placed on antiseizure meds and while on those you cannot drive..but less often are Dr.s using this technique..so generally speaking it is advised that you do not drive but very few Drs will notify drivers license bereau.....In Fl..technically you are not allowed to drive after brain surgery, but I do not know of anyone whom the Dr. filed the paperwork..and even then, all you need is a note from your Dr. saying you can drive so I would not sweat it.
Ceecee

Post op endo....still waiting furture CK for you will love this...part fibrous tissue that they know nothing about and part vidian nerve schwanomma...leave it to me to really be odd.....
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:55:44 am »
OTO:

To my knowledge the only way the state might suspend your driver's license is if your doctor notified the motor vehicle department and stated that due to your medications or other reason associated with your AN you were unfit to drive.  I seriously doubt that would happen.  The MVD only knows what you tell them. 

However, it's common sense not to drive while on strong medications or if you have dizzy spells, vertigo or anything else that would affect your ability to drive, whether pre or post surgery.  Besides, if you drove while medicated or with impaired functions and had an accident, your insurance company might try to decline covering you and you would almost certainly be sued by anyone the accident injured.

I stopped driving about 6 weeks before my AN diagnosis because I felt I my balance issues impaired my ability to drive.  I just didn't know why my balance was 'off'.  After surgery, I was driving within 2 weeks but it took over 2 months to regain my former confidence behind the wheel, and I've been driving for 46 years.  Driving a car today is a big responsibility as well as a near-necessity so as long as you feel confident and your doctor approves, driving after surgery should not be an issue and no one is going take away your license just because you had an acoustic neuroma tumor removed.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 02:20:54 pm »
Hi OTO:  I never even thought about this pre op !   I live in Florida,  didn't start driving again until a little under 3 weeks post op.  My license doesn't expire until 2/09.
I didn't have to go on antiseizure meds, so there was no problem.   Jim Scott says it all (love you Jim !!)  I always follow his advice - so there you go.  Stay safe road warrior !!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:22:25 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

er

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 12:56:45 am »
Hello Oto

I was back to driving 2 weeks after surgery. I had and still have dry eyes. When my husband told my ENT I was driving, he said great..
eve

redgrl

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 06:26:16 pm »
I waited about 4 weeks before i started driving. Never heard of the suspended license thing. When you are ready you will know.  :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

amymeri

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 05:24:41 pm »
If you have a brain tumor that causes seizures, OR have seizures post-op, the doctor is supposed to notify the DMV and you cannot drive until your seizures are controlled for 6 months.  At least that is how it was in the state where I last practiced. 

Since ANs are not located in the frontal cortex or any site that is prone to seizures, you are probably not at much risk.

Obviously, if you have double vision, vertigo or other post op complications, you should not drive until they are resolved.

I had double vision for 3 months and did not drive until it was well controlled...about 8 weeks post op.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:44:40 pm »
In my case, my license states that I cannot drive after dark, without side mirrors or without a hearing aide!  I have panic attacks at night as my doctors noted when they sent the report to the state because I do take anti seizure meds, two of them...to control migraines and help with depression.  The hearing aide cracks me up because even with a "hearing aide" I couldn't hear.  I do drive with a radar detector so that I will know when emergency vehicles are coming I know to pull off the road.  I never know where they are coming from so it is the safest practice I have found.  Good luck and safe driving.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 07:54:21 pm »
OTO, I drove very short distances at two weeks post surgery; I feel more confident driving at 17 months post op than I do serving on a jury panel!  I asked to be taken off the list for panels.

My right side balance and hearing were taken from me well before surgery anyway.  So I had compensated mostly.  I think anyone having surgery would plan to wait 4 to 6 weeks before returning to long distance driving. 

tony

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 01:49:31 am »
In terms of driving post surgery - it may not be the license that is the issue
- but the insurance
Basically if you were to have a series of, even small, mishaps - and then claim
the company may well then start to ramp up the premiums
I had an older car - and had 2-3 silly dings in 12 mths
 (inc a stationary skip ! - clearly the other guys  fault here !)
anyhow I did not claim - I didnt want to wake the insurance up
Now a year later (hopefully) its all settled down now
and the insurance is none the wiser
So maybe drive an older car for a while and fix it yourself ?
- or better yet dont crash it ?
best regards
Tony

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:24:15 am »
I was told and I do live in FL. that the hospital would do a driving evaluation and let me know if I was ok to drive and if not they would not report me but if I went to a driving school for eval and I was not cleared they would pull my license.  I'm sure legally the doctors are suppose to notify and probably do in some instances.  I wasn't able to drive untill around 6 mos after surgery, after testing it was determined I could drive on lightly travelled roads, short distances, and not in the rain.  I've progressed since then but still watch distance and fatigue levels.

I think we should all be given chauffered limosine service post AN ..I hate to drive  LOL

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 06:28:50 am »
I agree Batty........limo drivers for all of us!!  My license says I have to have either a hearing aide (what good would that do?) or a side mirror.  I can't drive after dark or in bad weather.  I have found that I have a really hard time parking.  I can't get the truck between the lines anymore and my husband always has to move the truck before he can drive into the driveway.  It is probably a good thing that the garage is still too full of boxes from our move to be able to pull in there.  Either the truck or the garage wouldn't have a side!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT