Author Topic: Stop Complaining ...  (Read 6082 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Stop Complaining ...
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:36:11 am »
A little blog I wrote on another site ...

Seriously, Stop Complaining.

I think I complain too much. I’m always complaining about stupid things like gas prices, or that I’m too tired, there’s nothing to eat in the refrigerator, the weather sucks, the grass grows too fast and I have to cut it twice a week, homework always sucked, my job sucks, whatever.

3 years ago I was a healthy 28-year old “normal� guy. A freak accident led to the discovery of a large, life threatening brain tumor. All of the sudden, after a day on an operating table, I was in a hospital, unable to speak, walk or even eat without some help. I feared that I wouldn’t survive or ever get back to be the person I once was and that my wife and family would be stuck with some vegetable that they didn’t sign up for. I sat in the hospital bed one day, unable to move and promised myself that If I ever got out of there, I’d prioritize my life and stop sweating the small stuff. All I wanted was my old life back. You know, the one I always complained about.

As I started rehab, my outlook changed. I didn’t complain, I did everything necessary, and more. I got out of the hospital and back to everyday life. As the daily grind started again, so did my complaining. It’s not like I’m always complaining about everything, it’s just that in retrospect, I realize the things I do complain about are stupid.

Last year I had to have another brain surgery. Suddenly, snapped back into that harsh reality, I remembered and realized how fragile life is. At this time my wife was pregnant and all I wanted was to survive another surgery and meet my daughter. Again, nothing else mattered to me except getting back to my family and being there when my daughter was born. Gas prices, food in the fridge, my boss; none of these things ever crossed my mind, because, well, they weren’t important.

I survived another brain surgery, rehabbed more, and was there when my daughter entered the world. That’s all I had wanted. I certainly had nothing to complain about.

Of course the day-to-day complaining returned. How can you not complain when gas is $3.29/gallon? There is always going to be something to complain about, but take the time to realize that there’s a lot more good than there is bad out there.

Recently, I returned for a follow up visit with my Dr. who confirmed that the much smaller, but still significant tumor in my brain is alive and needs to be dealt with. I thought this crap was over, but here we go again. Thank goodness I don’t have to have another brain surgery, but I will be going in for Gamma Knife Radiation. The word “radiation� is just plain scary, especially when it’s on your brain. I’m not worried about the actual treatment this time, I mean, I’ve survived two brain surgeries, this **** shouldn’t even phase me anymore, but I am worried about the long term effects. All I want is to have a long life with my family; nothing else matters.

I’ve had a lot to complain about over the last few years, but when you can’t get out of bed because your legs don’t work, complaining about the weather seems pretty stupid. When you’re in a waiting room for hours wondering if your loved one will survive, standing in line at Target is nothing to complain about. You realize that without your health, you don’t even know how much gas costs. While the things I complain about often change, the one constant wish I have is to be healthy and with my family. It’s easy for me to see what’s important in my life and I wish it didn’t take life threatening health issues every other year to help me realize it. Keep things in perspective, stop *****ing, and enjoy the important things.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Stop Complaining ...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:11:30 am »
Scott... boy, oh, boy, can I relate (as many here can too!).  Great post/rant and you (and everyone here) has every right to share that rant.  Like you, I want my "old" life back... but, I gotta tell you... for me.... I'm actually ok with what is going on with me (my wonderful trifecta with my AN, my Chiari and my pancreatic "C").  I have to commend my physical whoas as, like you, it not only gives a new perspective on life... but it has certainly made me mentally/emotionally stronger so when the small stuff wants to make me sweat, I don't.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have a feeling you and I are not the only ones that feel this way... and you are going to do great with your GK! I just know it :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:25:22 am »
Scott,
  Yep, there's nothing like getting a phone call from a Neurologist, "Um, ..I have the results of your MRI here, and you have a mass..." , to focus one's priorities.  Life is good.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 12:16:33 pm »
Scott,

Great story, so true. As I continue to heal and get thing back to normal (as normal as it can be under the circumstance) I have slipped back into my complaining mode. It's so easy to forget those bad days after surgery. When I look back on my pictures I start to remember me saying if I get my health back I'll never complain again. So easy to forget when things are going good.

I hope everything turns out with your Gamma Knife. The doctor left a sliver of the tumor on my facial nerve to preserve it and he told me if it came back they could use GK. Not what I wanted to hear. The thought of going through this again scares me to death. I can't imagine what you are going through.

Good Luck
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »
Wow....great story and viewpoint!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:57:26 pm »
I agree 100% with you.  Life is wonderful.  Priorities stack up differently after a major health issue. 

From my own experience I learned that prayer and meditation bring peace, but I gained the best help from hearing assistance.  I read a recent post from a retired nurse/AN patient.  She confirms the importance of getting some hearing back at any expense one can manage.  Being able to hear from the deaf side once again has forced me to focus on the thing I missed most...feeling normal amongst important people in my life.  It is too easy to slide into self pity, isolation, and complaining when hearing is lost.

I had found that talking to myself became too strange and lonely.  So, why not complain and draw attention to myself?  I might have been tough and courageous about the tumor, the surgery, and recovery time, but I denied I wanted my hearing back. 

I've felt so much empathy for "hard of hearing" elders who just lose themselves in silence.  I believe Medicare should partially assist the aging with decent hearing aids, too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:14:11 pm by Boppie »

Dealy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:18:05 pm »
Boy can I relate to this topic also. Back in 1988 when I had my first AN and surgery-their was no one too talk too. No internet-I knew only one other person from our town who had one of these and that was it. Two years later I forgot about my AN and Surgery-one sided deafness-but yes was into the old mode again of complaining about   trivial crap. Now that I have another tumor and my hearing is affected in my only hearing ear-no complaining but I want my old life back. Even with a  hearing aid I cannot listen to music on TV-Radio-Phono- nothing. But I stll can hear. I read in the paper the old Ann Landers column-and how some people complain about the most trivial matters. You want to say-please get a life and find what is really important. However- I think we are all human and take for granted until we lose health or whatever-then things take a different perspective. Two weeks ago before I got these newer Hearing Aids-it was a cold dreary rainy day and I was feeling down and out-mainly because I could not hear-period. I finally had a good cry with my wife. She is my rock and salvation. I am the type of person who would not show my emotion and cry-but those days are gone. It releases tension-and I believe it does not make me any less of a person or a man. Sometimes we just have too vent to people-like on this board for those who can relate an understand. Some crosses are bigger than others-but we all have one too carry. God Bless All on the Group-Have a good Evening. Ron.

amylynn

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
my thoughts and prayers are with you, scottie.  You are a great guy!
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 08:20:26 am »
Scottie,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  After much soul searching I am going to as the song says, "go sky-diving and Rocky Mountain climbing" and you know the rest.  I'm going to be more positive and get back as much of the old me as possible and invent a great new me.
Much love and prayers to a great guy!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 08:28:36 am »
You're not going to 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu-Man-Chu?

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 11:30:56 am »
Scottie,

After reading your post I think you are one courageous guy to bare your soul--may you have all blessings of healing, joy and comfort surround you.  I bow to your spirit. 

As I've said to someone who, to this day, will not stop complaining about the small stuff..."Life sucks, then you get a brain tumor!"  This only shut her up for a little while, she's back to her old self--sigh.   

Ron,

It's great to have a partner and moreso when moments like those arise letting us know just how fortunate we are, now let her know!  Guess you could say it's moments like that that you would "count" as blessing number one.  You are so right about the crying thing as our levels of stress does build and soon there's no more room within we must "release" to make more room for more stress!  WEEEEE!  This reminds me of a comedian who while drinking his drink at the bar spilled it down his front and wobbily looking into the eyes of his potential one-night stand and said, "Ooops, I shhorry I must be full!  BRRRP!" :D
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:16 am »
Scotty,  The good that comes to you is well deserved.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:14:32 pm by Boppie »

MLB57

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:03:22 pm »
 ::)Hi Scott--I have a rt AN that was not totally removed in Jan 2001 and it is growing and I will have FSR starting Aug at Mass Gen Boston, MA... I thought it was all behind me, but ya know I think complaining about all the mundane stuff kinda puts the big stuff on the back burner for a while--I don't think we should ever feel guilty for complaining with everyone else, as long a we know what's truly important in our lives...
I do find I don't have alot of patience with people who have nothing to complain about yet DO, but that's life--we all take so much for granted. So for me it's not so much the complaining as it's more the appreciation of all the good things I have and thankful that things are not worse!!!  Now if I can practice what I preach I'll be golden!!  Ha Ha  :o
Best always, Mary from MA
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:18 am »
As I've said before, don't sweat the small stuff, and it's 99.9% small stuff. Now putting that into practice is another story!

Love you Scottie!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 10:26:31 am »
Instead of "Got Pirattitude?" shouldn't it be "Got Arrrrttitude?"   :)