Author Topic: I would like to know if Baha implant really work than a hearing aid  (Read 3264 times)

moondawn

Hi every one I'm new at this I'll be getting my first Baha hearing
aid by my ENT doctor soon. I would like to know if the Baha works
better then the other hearing aid that other people wear I do wear
a hearing aid now but the Baha work better and can you hear better
with the Baha hearing aid and hear the sound better after I get this done I'm going to feel like a human robot walking around.
I would like to hear your comments on this Issue thank you.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: I would like to know if Baha implant really work than a hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:52:33 am »
I have a BAHA ... I have never had a "regular" hearing aid , so I can't say you hear any better.. but it does work! .. and you dont feel like a robot... if anything I like its not in my ear, and people are left wondering what it is!  ;D .  do you have an AN? why are you thinking of BAHA?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 02:05:12 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:16:41 am »
Like Joe, I have one too. I've never tried any other device but my BAHA really helps. Yesterday my BAHA battery went out at work. I was miserable till I could get home and get another battery in it. The only problem for me is in noisy situations. From what I have read all hearing aids are the same with noise, too much at one time to process.

Good Luck
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

neal r. lyons

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:27:07 pm »
Hi folks I'll be going to the House Ear Clinic for AN surgery(Translab) sometime this month I hope  I think they are quite busy right now as i have not heard from them as yet   I'm considering the BAHA and have been reading what i can about it  My hearing r. side is very poor so i can't imagine this BAHA not helping  I do, however, have a few questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on:  What is it like to transition from very limited hearing to no hearing at all?  It would seem to me that many have adjusted to SSD and have chosen to not deal with hearaing aids.  Am I correct with this assumption?  I do understand  that there is a quality of life issue that may need to be considered as part of the decision.  I can't say that I have had great difficulty in adjusting to limited hearing on one side, although it is most certainly a nuisance at times.  Will it become a much greater nuisance once the limited hearing is gone?  Atleast I'm very comfortable with my decision to have the Translab surgery   This BAHA implant is the 2nd biggest decision  I've ever had to make   Looking forward to your input   Cheers, Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

Lainie181818

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 01:26:50 pm »
Hi Neal
If I am reading this correctly you say that your hearing on your " good " ear is not great. The Baha is only as good as your good ear is. I had Baha fitted 6 months ago at House clinic, Its pretty good not great but it certainly helps. At the moment my eustacian tube in my good ear is blocked, so my total hearing with the Baha is about 20%, I have an infection so I am not worried about the hearing returning. I hope this helps. I know that House clinic fit the "abuttement" at the same time as the initial AN surgery I have no idea what the criteria is for this this proceedure. I am guessing it is when the Dr knows that the outcome is complete hearing loss after AN surgery. Anyway if you want to know more about Baha, bring it on.
Lainie.

neal r. lyons

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:35:26 pm »
Hello Lainie, thanks for your response!  I wasn't clear about my r. side hearing: my r. side is my tumor side so that's where my hearing is bad.  It's actually pretty good on the other side.  Did I understand you to say that due to your infection that you have been unable to experience the full benefit that BAHA can bring you?  Hope you are able to rid yourself of that infection soon! 
     At this point lainie I think Ill wait until after my surgery to make a decision on hearing aids.  Does the position of the BAHA seem to present any problem in so far as bumping it or it being bumped into?   Best wishes to you and thanks again for your thoughts.    Neal
AN 2.6X2.0X2.8 (right side)                                           June 22, 2007
House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's Hospital@ Los Angeles, Ca.

Translabyrinthine(5 1/2 hr.):  Dr.Brackmann-neurotologist    Dr.Schwartz-neurosurgeon    Dr.Kutz-incision@stitches    Dr.Stefan-internist

Lainie181818

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:23:15 pm »
Hi Neal,
I think it is a good idea to wait until after surgery, with a bit of luck you won't need a BAHA. Anyway sorry if I wasn't clear, The hearing you get from a BAHA is only as good as the non AN side [ that still sounds confusing  ]. When I had the infection I could not hear well out of the good ear, so the BAHA didn't work that well. The answer to the second question is, If you touch the BAHA accidentaly or deliberately while it is switched on it starts to whistle. MY husband always teases me when this happens and says " I think you are picking up Rangoon". Also if it is windy it starts to do the same thing. I still get tinnitus but I am used to it now, the BAHA doesn't change that. The unit also comes in 4 different colors, so it blends in well with your hair. Jeez I should be getting a "kick back" from the BAHA guys. Anyway I hope this helps and let me know if you want more info.
Cheers
Lainie.