Author Topic: The waiting ...  (Read 2511 times)

Krystine

The waiting ...
« on: June 15, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
Hi All,

Wednesday, I was admitted to a local hospital, given anesthesia and had an MRI ... so fortunate my ENT arranged that for me. So now I am waiting to see how big the bugger is when I see the doctor for the results next Tuesday. It has been 5 weeks since I first saw him, about 2 1/2 years since the dizziness started off and on and 20 years since I experienced single sided hearing loss and tinnitus. Now my "good" ear is not so good anymore and has tinnitus too.

While I see where the deafness could be a problem for some, I think that will be the least of my issues since I rarely talk to anyone. To be truthful, I am going into this with a few mental health issues. I have always been anxious and agoraphobic and cannot imagine how I will handle surgery and the after effects ... have never met a pain medication I could tolerate and all these little worrisome details, along with the blurred vision, face pain and ear ache, pray on my mind day and night.

I am scared and feel very desperate right now. Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to vent. The courage of the people on this forum is my inspiration.

satman

Re: The waiting ...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 05:55:39 pm »
hey krystine,dont sweat it as that will do you no good.
dont worry about the surgery you'll be fine,what ever facial issues, you can and will
deal with,as for balance,it comes back.what i mean is dont worry,go in with a positive attitude.
remember,we are here and have been there.
p.s- you wont feel a thing once it all goes down.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Obita

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:54:31 pm »
Hi Krys:

Try to not worry too much until you know for sure it is an AN.  I know, easier said than done. 

I suspect that I had my AN for at least 15 years before diagnosis.  When I was diagnosed, it was 2.5 cm.  They usually grow very slow.  Some, only 1 mm per year.  If you have one, it could very well be less than the 3 cm which is usually about the max. size that can be treated with radiation. 

Many people find this hard to believe but, the only pain I had from surgery was neck spasms.  I had a hole drilled in my head behind my ear and it did not hurt ever.  The neck spasms lasted about a week and valium took care of them.  The spasms were from my head being cocked for an 8.5 hour surgery.  Insomnia from the steroids and the temporary dry eye were my only gripes about the whole experience.  I never once had a headache.

So, if you have an AN and if you need surgery instead of radiation, it can be a breeze with a little valium!!

Good luck to you Tuesday and I will be watching the forum for your post.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 12:58:22 pm »
Krystine, I too do not tolerate pain meds well. I remember lots of hallucinations from the morphine in the first few days then they switched me to Oxycontin and all I did was throw up and sleep. They finally took me off everything and I was a new girl. Like Obita said, the only real pain was neck spasms from the surgery position and pt helped there. I loved those daily massages I got as in-patient.  However I managed any pain with otc Tylenol.

We're here for you and I'm sorry you have other issues as well. Stay strong, you will survive!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 01:13:12 pm »
Hi again, Krystine:

Well, at least you're past having the MRI.  The results may not be all that dire.  It may be a small enough AN that it can be treated via radiation instead of surgery.  Yes, the waiting can be tough, no question about it.  In the meantime, try not to dwell on it and please don't waste your time on the 'what-ifs'. You don't know the size of the AN so you really have nothing concrete to be desperate about at this point.  Try to approach this issue one step at a time.  Tuesday will bring it's own challenges but for now, let tomorrow worry about itself.  Try to keep busy as a distraction. 

It may seem trite but as the lyrics from 'Cabaret' say: "What good is sitting alone in your room?  Come hear the music play".    I have to agree with that suggestion.  :) 

Please stay connected with us here because we care about you and want to help, in whatever way we can, Krystine.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »
Yep no need worrying about the what ifs! It will be what it will be.
Krystine if you find yourself over anxious ask the doc for something to help calm your nerves. Xanax was my best friend for a while.

I was given ibuprofen for the pain.  I really didn't need anything stronger.

Hang in there and keep us updated!