Author Topic: Grippy shoes or socks and the hospital  (Read 5255 times)

Boppie

Grippy shoes or socks and the hospital
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:34:06 am »
Thinking back on my first days in the hospital.  I had read excellent lists and tips on what to take to the hospital,  But one thing I heard about from another An patient that wasn't on a list...grippy socks.

When I got out of bed the first time, my feet in plain socks slid right out from under me.  I sent my husband scurrying to the suitcase for my grippy socks.  Without those I couldn't have walked those first few days.  If you don't mind cold surfaces going barefoot might work if it's allowed.  Tennis shoes work, too!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Grippy shoes or socks and the hospital
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 12:48:59 pm »
Good idea, Boppie.

The hospital in which I had my surgery performed gave all bed patients 'grippy' socks, along with an attractive and spacious johnnycoat.  ;)  For over $3,000. per day ($5,000. + in the ICU) they should give us a measly $1.00 pair of ugly socks.  I suspect that the hospital's insurance risk assessment manager probably mandated the grippy socks for bed patients to fend off a possible accident and subsequent lawsuit.   Still, unless you know for sure that the hospital will supply grippy socks, it might be best to pack your own...just in case.  Thanks for the useful suggestion.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:08:05 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:54:06 pm »
Good idea Boppie. I too was gifted a pair by the hospital and I remember my hubby bringing in my boot type slippers...which I'm sure looked lovely in June?!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »
Great idea!  I also had my Crocs, since hospital floors are generally disgusting petrie dishes of germs.  Crocs can just get thrown in the washing machine when you get home, and I could slip them on/off easily by myself.  I wasn't going to expend the energy to get socks on/off by myself, and I didn't really want grimy socks that had been picking up floor germs in bed with me.

But that's my own personal issue...   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Static

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:44 pm »
My hospital  gave me grippy socks too but I had an issue with walking around the grimy floors of the hospital then getting in the bed in them also.   I didn't know Crocs could be thrown in the washing machine!  I don't have a pair because well, I just haven't gotten them yet.  I do have the thong style, but not the clog style.  I just used a pair of slippers to walk around in the hospital.  I too had an issue with walking around in those grippy socks and getting into the bed, so you're not alone in that one Katie LOL!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

1wareagle

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 08:27:57 pm »
Katie I used the crocs in the hospital too! I tried the grippy sock for one day and like you said too much energy getting them on & off.  For the past 5 1/2 months I have been wearing them to work, my balance is so much better in a pair crocs than a regular shoe. It doesn't make since but they work. Don't ever leave them out in the sun, they will shrink up too little, I NOW KNOW!

Ellis
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:30:18 pm by 1wareagle »
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:14:32 pm »
Funny I was so out of it didn't think about the germs but now that you mention it..EWWW
I can see where croc would be easy, comfortable and give you better support than flip flops or slippers.
I didn't know you can wash those.  My little niece wears them and they are looking quite stanky  LOL

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 06:49:18 am »
My mom (who has been a hospital-based RN in her career) suggested the Crocs.  I'm glad she did!  And mine have been through the washing machine many, many times.  No problem.  Just don't put them in the dryer!   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:54:40 am »
Good thing I had me leoard print rubber-soled slippers which matched (kinda) me leopard print robe and jammies!!!
The nurses called me jungle girl.  Here's a pic of Ed and me--we had surgery within hours of each other!

Note the lovely leg warmers left over from the 80's

Capt Deb 8)

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

zjane

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 08:10:08 pm »
Thanks for the posting ladies.  I'll remember to bring along my Crocs.  I got the Mary Jane style this year. :)
right side AN found Nov 04 1.0x0.7
FSR Cabrini - Dr. Lederman 5 sessions Nov 05 1.4x1.0
Translab Hinsdale Hospital - Dr. Wiet / Dr. Kazan Jun 07 2.3x1.2 (CSF leak, lumbar drain)

2yr Post-Op MRI Apr 09 Clean

Shrnwldr

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:28:30 am »
Deb,
Weren't those calf massagers just heavenly? I tried oh so hard to convince the nurses I needed to take mine home with me. But alas they just didn't understand. 

I was all gun ho to bringing some slippers with me. I am glad I didn't. Although I had no clue about germs and such I wore their little grippy socks until they were shreds of material (even at home!).  I loved them.  I felt so much more secure with those on my feet than with regular slippers.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007