Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 10408 times)

lifeisgood

Tinnitus
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:53:19 pm »
I was blessed to not have much loudness/ringing post surgery but have noticed over the past week that it seems louder.  My surgery was last March.
I used to describe it as the sound of the ocean when you listen into a seashell or a hush sound.  It now sounds like more of a static sound.
Has anyone experienced "shifts" in tinnitus and does anyone know why it maybe happening?
Can shifts in weather, pressure changes etc cause this?
:)
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

ajhunsicker

Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:38:59 am »
I have noticed myself that some days the tinnitus is worse than others. Some days  I am not bothered by it at all and some days it is like you said "listening to a shell with the ocean" and really loud too.  I am not sure what makes it worse some days than others.  I would like to know myself.   

Shadow

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:22:53 am »
which surgery did you have?  Did it destroy your hearing, or did it preserve it??
I will lose all of my hearing...not impressed I a huge music fan....and was hoping I 'd lose the static/hum/buzz/hiss noises that are my entertainment for now.

Shadow

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 07:40:38 am »
Hi Shadow,

With a 1.7cm tumor you have options for three types of surgery.  One is translab and in that case hearing is lost.  The other two try to retain hearing with varying success rates. One is middle fossa and the other is retrosigmoid.

I had 100% going in with a tumor similar in size to yours.  Mine was 1.5 cm.  I had middle fossa surgery and I've retained 80% high frequency, 50% low frequency and have 84% speech discrimination. The speech discrimination score is important as sometimes hearing retained is not audible.

The other thing I was told is that the symptoms like tinnutus that you have prior to surgery most likely stay.  They may be reduced, but symptom may stay. 

Please check that out with your doctor.  What part of the country do you live in?

Kindest regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

lifeisgood

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:34:46 am »
I had the translab approach b/c of the size of the tumor.  So, no hearing in that ear.
You would think that I wouldn't hear anything in that ear, right? If I can try to explain what I was told by my doc about tinnitus, the brainstem and cochlear are involved with the level of tinnitus.  If the nerve fibers are stimulated, you have tinnitus.
It can also be aggravated by caffeine, alcohol, and salt consumption.
Regarding losing your hearing, there is a device called the BAHA which can be implanted at the time of surgery which will give you hearing in that ear.  It's much more involved than that so I would suggest that you speak with your doc, your insurance co to see if it's covered and there is also a website you can check out.  www.entific.com
That's about all they could tell me about the tinnitus.  As far as levels and fluctuations, no explanation except for possible aggravation by the above.
Take care,
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

Becky

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:42:33 pm »
I have heard that caffeine and also aspirin make tinnitus worse -- the two things I take every day.  sigh ...

Becky

Joy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 06:35:47 am »
Kate,
I have had tinnitis practically all my life and was able to adjust to it my making "music" out of it, as silly as it sounds.  But, since my AN surgery in 2003, the tinnitis has magnified many times more and nearly drives me crazy.  Sometimes it is so loud that head feels like it is going explode from the noise and sometimes it even wakes me up from my sleep. Sometimes it drowns out people's voices while they are talking to me and they accuse me of not "listening".  I have sounds of tea kettles whistling, train roaring, wind blowing, doors slamming, etc. I hear so many sounds and it does get rough. There are times I just sit and cry.  I wish there was a way to turn the sound down or even turn it off.  :'(
Smile, God loves you!

Becky

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 02:06:28 pm »
Joy, me too.  I have ringing in both ears now (like a tea kettle whistle).  Sometimes all I can do is sit and cry. 

It's not depression either, for those of us with all these vestibular, sensory, facial and other distractions.  In between the coping and laughter (yes, it still happens) sometimes the distractions just take over and crying helps somehow.

My left deaf ear is always the same pitch and is usually louder than the right.  Today my only hearing ear, which usually rings at a higher pitch, was loud and low.  Shook me up quite a bit. 

Becky

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 01:26:28 pm »
I can relate to your stories.  I have spent the majority of my life working around aircraft (helicopters), and everyone I know has some form of tinitus...pilots too!  Mine is in my left ear and basically I deal with it by "making friends with it."  Since I can't get rid of it, I just try to ignore it and that works the majority of the time...loke tuning out noise (or the kids) when your busy doing stuff.  Some days it seems a bit higher, but fortuanately if I'm distracted it doesn't bother me much.  I have read postings from the old site (I was around during the old site), where people found that reduced caffine and nicotine helped as well as some natural herbs.  But, just wanted to let you know that I can relate to your tinitus stories  :)
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

kristin

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 11:00:55 pm »
my question is: does everyone who has surgery end up w/ tinnitis? is there any possible chance i won't have it? so far i think everyone i've come in contact w/ has had some form or another of tinnitis post-surgery...if you have had surgery and DO NOT experience this phenom..please let me know!!

thanks,
kristin

8 mm AN, Middle Fossa scheduled 4-14-05 House Ear Clinic
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Becky

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 05:31:11 am »
I think many of us had tinnitus pre-op.  The ringing in my AN ear (like a constant tea kettle whistle) was present pre-op.  It remained after the surgery but is louder. 

Anyone with no tinnitus pre-op?  Still no tinnitus after treatment?  Is there anyone whose treatment cured the tinnitus?

Becky

bluestar

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 01:14:12 pm »
I had no tinnitis pre op and have no tinnitis now. I have no hearing in my AN ear post op. I had a 3.2cm tumour removed June 2003.

Bluestar
bluestar

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 01:47:31 pm »
i did have tinnitis before my surgery. my treatment did cure the tinitis. but for my dad the surgery only made a little of it go away

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 09:45:29 pm »
My tinitus was pre-radiosurgery (Gamma Knife)....
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Shadow

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 04:43:31 pm »
I've got he soft static sound and for variety my ear tunes in to the dolphin channel.  I get pops and clicks and squeeks.  If only I spoke dolphin it might be fun! ;D