Author Topic: Just a Little In Recovery Giggle  (Read 2744 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Just a Little In Recovery Giggle
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:09:25 am »
The hospital I had surgery at is a Catholic Hospital... I am not Catholic ... I am not
anything really... have my ideas and beliefs and don't allow myself to be pegged anything

anyhow... when I was in recovery I opened my eyes... to my left I saw a nurse and to
my right the anathesiologist ( Jody)... she was looking at moniters and he was looking at me
smiling... with a tube still down throat and strapped down with sand bag weight on my
belly to prevent that incision from hemorageing again and oxygen in nose I didn't smile
back... I closed my eyes...

he was talking to me and holding my hand... he would ask stuff and I would squeeze or
poke with finger appropriate number of times... my eyelids were so heavy and the lights
made pain shoot through my head ....but he wanted me to open them again... I don't
know how much time had elapsed

I opened them again... Jody is there and nurse is gone but my doctor was there...and at the foot
of the bed smiling was a small black gnome... that's right a gnome... the doctor and Jody
were talking to me and asked if I was OK... all I could do was stare at the gnome...

it was a lady gnome... her chin just over top of foot board... but since the bed was raised and belly
high on the doctor this would make her about 4 feet high...My eyes grew heavy and I closed them...

later they took out tube from throat ....sprayed my throat with stuff to sooth it ... a little later I opened
my eyes and the gnome was gone... I looked around but it is only me . Jody and
the nurse again...

He asked me if I remembered the doctor being there... I said yes... then he asked me my birth date .
where I was , where I lived etc etc ... they did this for the whole time I was there with different
questions... he then asked me what I was staring at earlier... I told him I was seeing things
and a little black gnome was standing at the end of my bed... poor guy almost choked to death
laughing... brought others running to see what was wrong...

When he came back to his senses he told me ...that was not a gnome ...it was a nun ...
Sister Mary something... she had come by to pray for me and was just finishing up when I came
around... her habit was a deep maroon with the wimple lining a cream color... she was just about
the size of my 9 year old ... Jody said she was in her 80's

I wish I saw her again when I had my senses about me ... when I go back up on the 17th I may
go by hospital and see if I can look her up... she was kinda cute for a gnome ...I would like to
thank her for stopping by to see me
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Just a Little In Recovery Giggle
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:19:35 am »
Soundy,

thank you SO much for sharing that with us! Brought a smile to my face for being so early in the morning!  I know of the type of "gnome" you speak and have experienced many myself.  What a sense of inner peace knowing that your Sister-Mary-Gnome (not written out of disrespect) was there for you, helping to watch over you and had you in her heart and prayers.... what a lovely story to share with us.

And for all those getting ready to go through AN treatments..... I have a feeling good gnomes are watching over you too!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 09:50:28 pm »
Oh GIRLS! I am LAUGHING SO LOUD!!!  I am in tears!  THis is a contender for the Giggles Hall of Fame.  Saint Mary- the Gnome! maybe that's the religious order we can start for the AN crowd and heck she can be our patron saint!  As a catholic who has some serious doubts about the church, thanks for reminding me what is good about it, sweet nuns who pray for you to get well. (And yeah, I for the most part had nice nuns in my childhood and yeah, one of my nuns was really short now that I think about it...)

Please let me know how Sr. Gnome is- she sounds really cool.  And thanks again Soundy for making my Sunday night!  Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

lora

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:34 am »
Oh Soundy--That has made me laugh like nothing has in a long time!!!!  The tears that I thought had dried up are pouring down my face! ;D  Are you sure it wasn't my Great aunt Grace????  God love her--she is 96 and prays for me daily--rosaries daily at St Peter's Basilica the whole bit...I think she convinced the Pope to participate--I wonder if he would know Sister Mary Gnome...
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:40:53 pm »
LOL ... it "allmost brought tears to my eye"  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:11:51 pm »
Oh my gosh, that's like something right out of a scene in a movie.  Monty Python maybe, but a movie "nun"-the-less.   ;D

Great story.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:39:21 pm »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH SOUNDY!  Really enjoyed reading this one and those comments that follow--definately one for "the books". 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 06:44:23 pm »
Oh Soundy--That has made me laugh like nothing has in a long time!!!!  The tears that I thought had dried up are pouring down my face! ;D  Are you sure it wasn't my Great aunt Grace????  God love her--she is 96 and prays for me daily--rosaries daily at St Peter's Basilica the whole bit...I think she convinced the Pope to participate--I wonder if he would know Sister Mary Gnome...

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK... I went for post -op today and for most part things are right on target... went
by the hospital and asked for the Good Sister/Gnome... her name is Sister Mary Grace...I almost fell over
as I had read your comment when I was up early this morning unable to sleep...

She was a very sweet little lady... I even told her I had thought I was hallucinating when I opened my eyes
and she was at foot of my bed... she got a good giggle... and told me that in all her years she has been called
a penguin ( when habit was black and white)  and other less desirable things  but gnome was new... I thank
her for thoughts and prayers and she just smiled and kinda bowed to me saying it was all in a days work ...
glad I looked her up
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 02:59:03 pm »
I had to bump this up--it's such a hoot!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW