Author Topic: GOING TO HEI  (Read 6556 times)

Mel

GOING TO HEI
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:08:18 am »
Finally have date for surgery with Dr. Brackmann!! September 25th.
Although I feel extremely comfortable with my decision, I sometimes get ALOT of anxiety
and for some reason think that this is not really happening!  But it is.  Insurance is not covering
Dr. Brackmann(paying 70%) so am trying to deal with ins. co.  My S/O had a hard time understanding
why I wanted to go to HEI, mainly because of the cost, but I believe he finally gets it.
Got to get to work, will get back later.

Mel
Diagnosed November 2006
8mm Small

Mary 117

Re: GOING TO HEI
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:51 pm »
Hi Mel. Remember there are the immediate expenses and the long term costs. I really believe by getting the best up front, you save in the long run. At HEI I was in surgery tuesday, and discharged by saturday morning. I have read on this site about people staying in much longer and that has to add up. I know that everyone's results are different but besides my rechecks and a few headaches, I haven't had any AN medical costs or issues since returning to Montana from HEI. I battled the insurance issues and they did cover me. I wish they understood how much they can save by spending a little more on the sugeron.

Good luck!  Mary

2cm AN middle fossa, Dr. Brackmann  May24,2005
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:58:08 pm »
Hi Mel,
You are in the best hands in the world at Hei if you are like me and can't stand the thought of having that lil bugger in me noggin' fer another second!  Give my regards to Doc Hollywood (Dr Stefan, the internist) and remember to go over your bill with a fine toothe comb when you can see straight again. It's not HEI that will bugger it up, but the Ins Co.  I saved myself about $2000 by arguing about a few minor denied bits.

Be Well and be nice to the nurses--they are very sweet there at St Vincents and there's a whole floor of nuns at Seton House praying fer ya around the clock! If you want to chat about what to expect, message me and I'll send ya me land-line number.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

OTO

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:27:32 pm »
Mel
I'm sure House Clinic will do their best to work with the Insurance Company.   They have worked with them all.  I'm 10-weeks post-op, and I feel like I'm well on the road to recovery.  aloha, OTO

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »
Hi Mel,

I'm with OTO on this one. House Ear Clinic will work with your insurance co. talk to Rita or Pat(from HEI) about it, maybe they can help. If you need any personal info about House or St. Vincent's send me an Email. You are in great hands with Dr. Brackmann.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

MGengo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:50:42 am »
Hi Mel, 

I just received my surgery date with Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwarz too, September 26th.  We'll be there at the same time.  I'm dealing with the same issues you are.  I'm having some difficulty coming to terms with the fact that I'm preparing for major surgery when I'm feeling so healthy, except for some hearing loss.

Good Luck,
Mary Ann

bpham

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:40:18 pm »
Mel,

May I ask what is the cost without insurance paying for it?  Don't answer if you don't want to.  I'm in the process of getting my insurance to approve it too.  However, I'm seeing Dr. Friedman.  My ENT refers me to either Dr. Brackmann or Friedman and I've gotten Friedman.

Did you specifically ask for Dr. Brackmann?

Which option that you've selected?  Translab or ...?

Thanks.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Mel

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 09:27:07 pm »
Mary Ann

My surgery was on 9/25 but Rita called and asked if I would mind rescheduling for the 26th.  We will be in at the same time.  Will see you there. 
We will be in Ca on 9/21 from Michigan and Mother is coming in on 9/23 from Lake Conroe, Texas, check in to Seton, test on 9/24 and then Tues. check the area out. When will you be checking in?

I have not been on the the site for awhile, busy with work and I think that I did not want to deal with this thing, but now it is time.
I have been very depressed, unknowingling to myself until lately, had a bad anxiety attack and thought I was having a heart attack so had an EKG
came out great but still had to wear a monitor Thursday.

My S/O has not dealt with my decision to go to HEI well at all.  I think he is afraid that I will not make it thru this eventhough I try to assure him that I will.

I feel very comfortable with Dr. Brackmann and Rita is great!  We have talked many times, I hope I get to meet her.

To: bpham

I really am not sure what the insurance is going to pay but I have a contact at work that said that he would help me get the insurance to pay, he works with
insurance companies and says that we have a right to the best care for our medical problems.  Also, my ENT said that I should contact Dr. Brackmann, I think
that all of the Drs at HEI are competant and would have been comfortable with any of them.

Captain Deb:

I hope that I have Dr. Stefan and I will give him your regards.
Do you like Sailing?  Was my passion!!! in my other life.

Maryann, see you in LA!!

This site helped me in making my decision and feeling comfortable that I am not alone and Thanks to All.

Mel

Diagnosed November 2006
8mm Small

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:28:12 am »
Mel & Mary Ann -

you will both be fine.  Dealing with an AN isn't something I would have chosen to do in my lifetime, but sometimes you don't have a choice.  I had retrosigmoid surgery on 5/31/07 and except for SSD am doing great.  Waiting for your surgery date is a time of anxiety, but it will be here before you know it.  Recovery takes a while, but you'll get through it.  In the meantime, try to relax and destress - it's not easy I know, but try.

Insurance issues can be surmounted and these days the docs are so used to dealing with insurance issues that their offices know just how to handle them.  You can fight your insurance company and win - just look at the case of Sam & Adrian  ;D

Mel, I know that many say that HEI is the best place to have your AN surgery, and it's true they are excellent, but you say you're in Michigan.  Didn't anyone tell you that there are excellent docs who treat ANs as close to you as Chicago?  In fact, from what I understand, one of the docs in the practice I go to operated on Brackmann's granddaughter not too long ago.  I'm not in any way trying to change your mind or question your decision, I just want others on this forum who can't go to HEI to realize that there are also other excellent doctors out there.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

amaguarda

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 03:48:41 pm »
ok, i am reading this but i am not sure what HEI is, can someone fill me in?
had 4.5 cmAN tumor removed on september 11, 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 04:18:18 pm »
I believe it stands for House Ear Institute, which is somewhere in California.  Los Angeles, maybe? 

They have an excellent reputation for treating ANs; the doctors there are top-notch.  But I think it's important for people, especially "newbies", to know that there are other outstanding places and doctors in other areas of the United States - and Canada, Germany, etc.  To that end, I just started a topic entitled "Places other than HEI" on this website.  I'm hoping my topic will provide a good reference point for members of this forum.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mel

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 06:03:43 pm »
Hello Jan

I am sure that there are some competent doctors other that at HEI but being ME, I chose Ca.

I talked with Dr. Brackmann a few times and I really liked what he said to me and how comfortable he was
to talk with.  It is hard to change now, I did read of other doctors that worked at HEI but still felt that
this was where I should go.

There are also great doctors in Michigan but felt they did not have enough AN surgeries under their belt.
Could have gone to Houston, family lives there but all doctors do not do Mid Fossa.

Thanks for the advise and for starting the new topic.  I will check it out.

Mary Ann and I will be great!!

Thanks again

Mel
Diagnosed November 2006
8mm Small

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:39:34 am »
Mel,
I was a professional sailor/charterboat captain in the Virgin Islands for many years in MY other life! If you would like, I'd be glad to let my S/O talk to your S/O about HEI and the decision to go there. You are in good hands and are going to be fine.  Eric was pretty terrified as well, but it may be comforting if the two of them could have a phone conversation--I'll message you our phone #--we'll be home this evening if you want to call.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »
Mel & Mary Ann -

best wishes for 2 successful surgeries.  Hope it all goes well for both of you.

Jan

Mel

Re: GOING TO HEI UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 09:04:31 am »
To All

This is a copy of an email to my family and friends.  I am improving every day.

How has the week progressed?

This really has has not been good.  These heavy steriods suck!!!!!!  I am down to 2 pills 4 times a day for two days and then the last day guess I just down the balance.  My Attitude
is horrible, no patience and PLEASE DO NOT SAY something STUPID which could be anything!!!!!.

I can move more of my mouth today, maybe as much food won't drop out when I eat? HaHa
It is not cute.The main problem with walking is that the spinal fluid that has drained to the bottom of my back is pressing on the cyatic nerves and the shooting pain is horrible and when I walk all of a sudden I look like a drunken sailor, off to the right-left or just go down. I really need something to hold on to I guess. Seems when I walk fast my brain doesn't
comprehend what I am doing as quickly and I seem to stay on balance a little better.  A couple of the other women have expressed this also. 

Poor Mother and David, yes we know that David can be a pest but he has tried, doesn't really know how. He is used to being taken care of and I believe for men it is harder to reverse the rolls.  Mother probably wants to drown her oldest daughter but I AM HER
daughter, right Cindi?  I think what we want as patients here is moral support, alot of it, do not try to fix it for us, that will come in time.

A minister here said,  this is not cancerous but as cancer goes when remission or cure one goes on with there lives as they looked before(under the best of circumstances) but this is one usually BENIGN(and yes we are all gratfule for this because if it were cancer, I would have already said my goodbyes, no cure!) tumor that a patient comes for a cure and looks like a everyday normal person and wakes up looking like Daddy's Mack truck ran over their face!! Some worse, some better.  I feel fortunate, mine is not as bad as some of the woman but when I look in the mirror, it is not me.  Everyday I feel a twitch here and there so there is alot of hope for me and then of course there is DR. STEPHANIE(not Stephan)!!!

Clint, bottle of gooood wine and cheese please!!! Wednesday nite date!!

Karen, update John, Gayle and Reed, talk to you later.

Carman, see you Tuesday.

Matt, Tom and Jon Love you.

Have meet so many wonderful people, Mother will be with me for a couple more weeks and we are going to put a little booklet
together, will see if I will be able to post it somewhere.  I also have some other thoughts.
Diagnosed November 2006
8mm Small