Author Topic: Trying to understand the MRI report  (Read 3436 times)

tdworkin

Trying to understand the MRI report
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:33:04 am »
Until I see the neurosurgeons, can anyone tell me what all this means (other than I have an AN that's 20mm x15mm x18mm on the left) ?

"There is a heterogeneously enhancing mass in the left cerebellar pontine angle cistern, with enhancement extending and expanding the left porus acusticus. There are several prominent cyctic components associated with this left cerebral pontine angle cictern mass, with imaging features most compatible with a vestibular schwannoma. The mass measures approximately 20 mm in maximal craniocaudad dimension by approximately 15 mm in maximal transverse dimension.  If the prominent posterior cystic component is included in the measurement maximal AP dimension is approximately 18 mm. The right cranial nerve VII and VIII complex is normal. No other abnormal intracranial enhancement is identified."

Thanks for any light any one can shed on this for me.
Terry (trying not to be a nervous Nellie)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Trying to understand the MRI report
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 02:01:32 pm »
Caveat: I am not a doctor!

Basically, you've got a left AN (vestibular schwannoma is another name of ANs) measuring 2.0x1.5x1.8 cm, which is medium-sized.  It's got some cysts (fluid pockets) in it, which is pretty common, and is starting to expand the inner ear canal (the porus acusticus is the opening out of the bony ear canal - your AN is exerting pressure on that opening).  "Heterogeneously enhancing" just means the contrast from the MRI lit up the thing evenly, making it easy to see.

There's nothing on the right side.  And nothing else wrong was noticed.   ;D

Sounds like a pretty typical report for an AN.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:35:35 pm »
I use this thing alot--
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mplusdictionary.html
It's a Universal Medspeak Translator

Good translation Katie!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

krbonner

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 03:13:41 pm »
Thank you!  Is it sick that I find all the med-speak interesting??? ;)

I still harbor dreams of going back to school to become an RN...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:27:11 pm »
Katie

I think you'd make a fantastic RN.  If at all possible start checking into it.  In our area there's a waiting list to enter the nursing program.    Your knowlwedge, compassion, and understanding gained from your AN journey I can see you as not only as an RN, but an RN making a difference.

Go for it, you don't want to look back years from now and say "if only i"

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Obita

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:31:50 pm »
If it is sick, you are not the only one that is. 

Yesterday, at my nephew's birthday party, his grandpa had his latest MRI report laying on the table.  He had back surgery a year ago and is having more trouble now than before surgery.  Anyway, I had to ask if I could read it.  Most of it I understood and what I did not, I looked up on the pc then and there.  It was a fun party.  The rest had cake and I got my medical terms fix.

Kathy

ps:  the term I like best is:  postcontrast images demonstrate no pathologic enhancement to suggest recurrent schwannoma 

pss:  Terry, your MRI report sounds exactly like mine did........except mine was bigger!!
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:46:11 pm »
Katie, I wanted to ask you if your left elbow cleared up totally? forgive me but i saw something about it and i wondered if that one is also on your An side or the other side, plus i noticed you had mentioned it a long time ago....and  right now this last week i have a bad elbow and mine is the An side lol    ::) only thing i do with it is lean on it when i read on my side horizantally but I can't figure out why it is the bother it has been this last week..... simply curious, nothing more...... thanks....
W.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 03:55:14 pm »
Katie -

you definitely aren't sick.

My MRI was ordered by my ENT so he was the one who called me with the results.  I asked him how large the AN was and he claimed he didn't know.  I thought that was a very interesting response from a man I've known for 28 years.  I decided at that point that it was up to me to educate myself on my condition.  I got a copy of my MRI films.  I also got a copy of my MRI report, and I was hooked the first time I read it.  

I find this medical stuff fascinating reading.  I know very little about biology and anatomy - never my strong points in school - but since I was diagnosed, I've read every piece of paper written about my AN whether it contains medical jargon or not.

I initially didn't understand a lot of the terms, but I looked them up through a medical dictionary online.  I requested a copy of my operative report a couple of weeks ago and found it riveting.  It was just so incredible the things they did in my head while I was asleep.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

krbonner

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:58 am »
Katie

I think you'd make a fantastic RN.  If at all possible start checking into it.  In our area there's a waiting list to enter the nursing program.    Your knowlwedge, compassion, and understanding gained from your AN journey I can see you as not only as an RN, but an RN making a difference.

Go for it, you don't want to look back years from now and say "if only i"

Hugs
Raydean

Thank you, Raydean!  It may have to wait a few years yet (young children take up a lot of time!), but I'm not completely giving up yet.  My dream would be to work in labor and delivery...

I have done a little investigating.  Because I already have a Master's degree (in a completely unrelated field) people tell me I'd be okay just doing a 2 year program to get all the science courses.  My other degrees already show that I can learn, write, etc so I may just need to make up the basics.

;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

krbonner

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:35:41 am »
Katie, I wanted to ask you if your left elbow cleared up totally? forgive me but i saw something about it and i wondered if that one is also on your An side or the other side, plus i noticed you had mentioned it a long time ago....and  right now this last week i have a bad elbow and mine is the An side lol    ::) only thing i do with it is lean on it when i read on my side horizantally but I can't figure out why it is the bother it has been this last week..... simply curious, nothing more...... thanks....
W.

Thank you for remembering!

The numbness in my left hand (base of palm to fingertips on the left part of my hand) was a direct result of a pressure bruise sustained because of poor positioning during my 12 hour AN surgery.  It killed my ulnar nerve going down to my fingers.  At almost 11 months post-op, I can say that the only numbness left is in the tips of my ring and pinky fingers.  And I expect that to improve still since the improvement hasn't leveled off yet.  I've also had two EMGs of that nerve that show it's improving. 

If you're being bothered by your elbow, it's likely you somehow got a minor pinch or bruise on one of the nerves there (they run very close to the surface of the skin over the elbow) and it just takes a long time to heal.  I hope it feels better soon!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005