Author Topic: Photo of Gamma Knife GK headframe "rack" on a real person  (Read 3880 times)

Dana

• Hi!
Photo of Gamma Knife GK headframe "rack" on a real person
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:06:37 pm »
Hi,
I thought someone might want to see a photograph of a actual GK headframe (or "rack" as I call it) on a real person (me).  I just made up this webpage; the photo is at the bottom.
http://homepage.mac.com/dbear3/PhotoAlbum1.html

Actually, the first picture on the page is me just three days later.
Dana
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:08:17 pm by Dana »
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Richey

Re: Photo of Gamma Knife GK headframe "rack" on a real person
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:07:29 am »
Dana, Good you thought to take a picture. I wished later that I had thought about doing that. I'm about two and a half years out from GK for a small AN, Swelled a little after treatment and has remained the same since. I'm told that's good as long as it's not growing but would be nice to see it shrink a little. Get my next look in Feb.

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:55:16 am »
Richey,
I'm curious ... what were your symptoms before GK, and what are they now?  I'll be very happy if my medium hearing loss and slight tinnitus stay the same long term.
Thanks.
Take care,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Betsy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:55 am »
Thanks for sharing Dana!  I like your pictures!   Did get get the "happy pill"?  I can't imagine having the headframe attached without it.  It looks like it fits pretty close to your face....I'm wondering if I'll be able to get my glasses back on afterward.  Of course, with the "happy pill" maybe I won't care about seeing things clearly!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:31:42 pm »
Yes, I had the "happy" IV.... didn't realize it at the time, but the picture sure shows it !! 

I don't think I could've put my glasses on, but there wasn't much need -- I didn't care (!), there were folks to talk to, and the whole process went pretty quickly once the rack was on ... they take exact measurements, then you go get an MRI, then a period when they're figuring out the exact angles to set the GK machine to (I guess that's the part where I "didn't care", cuz I certainly don't remember being restless or fidgety).   I got to hospital/Harborview Gamma Knife Center about 6:30 am.  I know they didn't put rack on until about 8 or 8:30 am, and we were out of there by 1 pm.

Oh, the funniest part was that after the rack was in place and I'd had MRI, I got to eat a nice breakfast they provided.... the funny part was getting the food in my mouth around the contraption!  When you asked about your glasses, that's what I thought of -- figuring out what angle I had to have the fork or spoon so the food would go up and over the part of the rack in front of my mouth!

Take care,
Dana

Sefra22

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:05:01 pm »
Hi Dana,
You sure looked a lot better than I did! The nurse covered my head with antiseptic shampoo which hardened my hair in the slicked back 'do she gave me. I found the hardest part of the day was not being able to wear my glasses. My eyesight is really bad, but I was kind of relieved that I couldn't see the looks on the faces of people who saw me being wheeled around the hospital! My husband took a picture, and until I saw it I had no idea how funny I looked.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:06:06 pm »
Lisa,
I'm glad you related your experience and feelings during the day, so people know that it's not the same for everyone.  I was  just instructed to wash my hair the night before, or that morning, without using any styling products.  So I guess procedures are diffferent at different facilities. 

And we're each unique -- I don't know why it didn't bother me not being able to see.  I'm extremely nearsighted, so I can always see things very clearly about 4 inches from my eyes.  Don't know.  Again, glad you gave another side of the story.  I just wanted to post a real pix so people could see a real device on a real person.

How did your symptoms evolve after your GK?  I just noticed this evening ( 4 weeks post GK) that my tinnitus is getting louDER.  But I'm trying to stay calm, and not get in a habit of focussing on it.  We'll see....
Take care,
Dana

Betsy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:19:09 pm »
Hi again,

Dana, it looks like you were able to wear your own clothes too.   It seems like such a small thing, but I think I'd be more comfortable in my own pj's than in a flappy hospital gown.

In one of the older posts, Boppie had a great suggestion for folks who couldn't get their glasses on immediately after microsurgery...to remove the bow on the surgical side.  I think this is a great idea and I've already packed my old glasses and tiny screwdriver.  Maybe by taking off both bows I could balance them on my nose.  I just don't want to miss any excitement!

My sister will be with me for my treatment and I'm sure she'll be trying to take as many embarrassing pictures as possible....another reason to avoid the hospital gowns!

Lisa and Dana, thanks for sharing the "personal" side of your treatment!

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:54:31 pm »
Here's mine.

http://www.savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

1-year post-GK MRI will be coming up soon!

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:14:13 am »
Here's mine ...