Author Topic: Proton Radiation  (Read 2125 times)

Connie

Proton Radiation
« on: September 09, 2005, 06:28:40 am »
I'm new to this board and was diagnosed with a 2mm intercanicular AN. Symptoms are fullness in the left side, headaches.  I am wondering if anyone went the proton route and how it went.
I have no hearing loss and wondering if seek treatment now I could hold onto that. I am 48 yrs alo .
Thanks in advance. Connie

wanderer

Re: Proton Radiation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:04:59 am »
It has been awhile now,  but at one point I read the statistics between the different radiation routes and proton was the worst of them.    In another article I read that proton approach had been a disappointment.   

I had microsurgery for mine so I don't have any experience with any of them.  This is just information I came across when I was searching out my options a year ago.

Mark

Re: Proton Radiation
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 09:31:38 am »
Connie,

I would echo what wanderer has said regarding proton treatments. I had cyberknife for mine, but in my research there were only a few medical centers employing this type of technology and the results did not appear very good especially in terms of post treatment reactions. I was exchanging e-mails with another AN patient a few years ago who had been treated at Loma Linda with the proton method and experienced a variety of problems.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001