Author Topic: FSR and Cyberknife  (Read 2478 times)

becknell

FSR and Cyberknife
« on: September 19, 2005, 09:36:30 am »
I'm trying to educate myself about radiosurgery. I think I understand about Gamma knife, I have read the most about that. Beyond that I have found it to be very confusing. Is there a difference between FSR and Cyberknife? Or are these just different terms for what is essentially the same treatment — a way to deliver radiation in fractionated doses to preserve healthy tissue. ? Thanks for helping me understand.

jamie

Re: FSR and Cyberknife
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:32:24 pm »
FSR and CyberKnife are different treatments, using different machines. FSR is usually done over 5 or more sessions using lower doses, where CyberKnife is usually done over 3 using higher doses, and Gamma Knife is 1 session using the highest dose. The CyberKnife system is also more accurate than FSR and even Gamma Knife. I think a good way to explain CyberKnife, is as a cross between Gamma Knife and FSR.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: FSR and Cyberknife
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 05:45:20 pm »
I have a recurrence of an AN from 3 years ago and am now seeking out a treatment called stereotactic radiation. I believe that it is similar to Gamma knife. Once i find out more about it - in 2 days, i will write more.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz