Author Topic: titanium plate  (Read 4228 times)

cally

titanium plate
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:00:17 pm »
I am one year post-surgery (posterior fossa).  I have suffered from chronic headaches which are often triggered by atmospheric pressure and also triggered by coughing or sneezing.  I have been advised  by my neurosurgeon that having a titanium plate fitted over the area of bone loss will help minimize this problem.   Has anyone else had one fitted post-op? Is there anywhere I can find out more details?

becknell

Re: titanium plate
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 07:16:53 am »
This is second-hand information, but I thought I'd mention it since you are asking about the titanium plate. I have a good friend with our AN support group who had a titanium plate put in her head to close the incision when she had her surgery in March. She had a lof of problems, including very severe headaches. The titanium plate had shifted in placement slightly and she felt like it was a problem and she wanted her doctor to remove it. After some back and forth with her doctor, he agreed to remove it in a surgery in late August. And now she said her heaches have completely gone away! I'm not really sure why some doctors close with the titanium plate and some just replace the bone flap.

cally

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:41:14 am »
Thanks for that - but my problem is that I haven't had a titanium plate fitted and I am being advised that having one will hellp with my severe headaches.  I am trying to find someone who has had one fitted post-surgery.

SURI

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 11:15:43 am »
I had the titanium mesh in place, connected to the skull with little screws .
It felt weird but it worked for awhile.  Eventually, it became dislodged,
giving me extreme headaches that made it difficult to turn my head.
A nuerosurgeon and specialized plastic surgeon had to open
the scalp clean out the failed titanium plate and surrounding area.
They replaced the titanium with a fitted piece of resin material,that
makes the skull feel more solid. 

cally

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 01:22:17 am »
Nice to hear fom you - will find out if I can have that instead of the titanium plate!

Kim

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:19 am »
Am 1 yr post-op, have titanium mesh (a very large plate).  Haven't had any problems; how long since surgery, for the person who did?

kristin

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 08:59:42 am »

I had the titanium mesh in place, connected to the skull with little screws .
It felt weird but it worked for awhile. Eventually, it became dislodged,
giving me extreme headaches that made it difficult to turn my head.
A nuerosurgeon and specialized plastic surgeon had to open
the scalp clean out the failed titanium plate and surrounding area.
They replaced the titanium with a fitted piece of resin material,that
makes the skull feel more solid.

suri, do you remember how long after your surgery the titanium plate came dislodged? i have been having some pretty tough headaches lately myself, all on the AN side. they're always a quick shooting pain up the left side of my head. my head is kinda concave in that area and i can feel 3 of the 6 screws.

thanks,
kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mary 117

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 11:32:26 am »
Kristen, hey, I've been thinking of you. Sorry to hear about the headaches. I hope you can find something that helps. Maybe it is the plate. Are you still working full-time? Hang in there,
Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

kristin

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 04:35:57 pm »
hi mary!

i am working full time, but just decreased to 72 hrs instead of 80 per pay period. i didn't do it becuase of health, but because i wanted a morning w/ my 6 year old every other week. today was my first day off and so lovely!

no headaches today, so that was great. but the last few mornings i've felt like i had a hangover when i woke up. i figured if i'm gonna feel like i'm having a hangover anyway i might as well drink! just kiddin'!

thanks for thinkin' of me..how are you doing?
kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33