Author Topic: Dr. John Dornhoffer at UAMS???  (Read 2378 times)

dgrummer

Dr. John Dornhoffer at UAMS???
« on: October 03, 2005, 11:49:30 am »
Well - our search continues for a Dr.  Our insurance has instructed we have to get a 2nd opinion from a Dr. at UAMS before they will consider our out-of-network request to either Dallas or House/LA.  Our PCP picked the 1st neurosurgeon on the covered dr list and put in the referral for a doctor we had not heard of - and according to UAMS website didn't have AN listed as something he treated.  After we searched the website for a Dr who treats AN's specifically -  we found Dr. Dornhoffer was the only one listed.  So we had the referral changed.

I hear wonderful things about him as a doctor - but nothing about AN's specifically.  Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of him or knew anything about him.  Our appointment isn't until 10/17 and the waiting is almost more than I can stand.

We are praying that we'll feel comfortable enough to be able to use Dr. Dornhoffer and not have to travel to LA - but we are keeping our options open.

dana

becknell

Re: Dr. John Dornhoffer at UAMS???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:27:29 pm »
Don't know about the doctor you mentioned, but there is an Ossama Al-Mefty at UAMS who I believe treats Ans and is supposed to be quite renown, I had gotten his name from a friend who had a different kind of benign brain tumor when we were starting our research. She had a large very complicated tumor, wrapped around brain stem with fingers extending and he saved her life. She couldn't say enough good things about him. So I had called Al-Mefty's office and talked with his assistant who said he treats ANs. Then we found a different team at Duke. Hope this helps you some.

dgrummer

Re: Dr. John Dornhoffer at UAMS???
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 08:40:14 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I was aware of Al-Mefty but we weren't able to get in to see him as quickly and thought seeing an ENT might be good.  I'm feeling much better about our options here locally. - Thanks