Author Topic: Something to Celebrate  (Read 4587 times)

Jeanlea

Something to Celebrate
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:28:24 am »
Well, it was time for the 5K race again. My goal was to run the whole distance. My husband Michael joined me. Together we were able to run the course in 34:27. Michael got 3rd place for his age division. I got first for my age division. There were three other people behind me. Two of them were even running. lol Maybe next year I can do it under 30 minutes. My son, Adam, also got an award for third place in his age group. The ironic part is that our son, Andrew, didn't get an award. He was running as part of his team group. He valued that more than placing. There were 6 of them crossing the finish line together. Great teamwork!

This is a special race to me because I walked/ran it three days before my surgery two years ago.  I won in my age bracket then too, but I didn't have any competition.  Last year I tried to run the whole thing.  I ran most of it and did some walking.  To be able to run the whole thing this year was great.  Right now I feel like I can do nearly anything, even if I operate on one balance nerve, am deaf on the left, have a strange smile, and can't blink my eye. 

Feeling really good right now.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

reneeairya

Re: Something to Celebrate
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 12:22:19 pm »
WOW

Congratulations on your victory. This is a big accomplishment! Enjoy the feeling :)

Love Renee

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 12:42:03 pm »
WOOO HOO!!!! Way to go Jeanlea!!!!!!!!
Be well and sail on!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:36:44 pm »
Jean,

How is your running in different types of weather?  (pressure changes)

That is wonderful about your success and mental attitude.  You among others here are an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing good news to balance all of our sovereign posts on this forum. 

Your post will be up-lifting for new-comers.

Regards,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 01:41:28 pm »
Hi, Jean:

From someone who gets tired just thinking about running over 3 miles (5 k) I sincerely congratulate you, your husband and your son.  The First Place award is also an achievement.  Your indomitable spirit is an inspiration to us all.  Again, my congratulations.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 04:54:55 pm »
Hi Palace,

I live in the north country.  I only run in the summer.  Later in the evenings on the really hot days since it stays light for so long.  I do run a treadmill in the winter, but I prefer to be outside.  Weather doesn't seem to bother any differently than before my AN surgery.

I want the newbies to know that even if you should end up with facial paralysis you can still do things that are physically challenging.  Even though everyone is different, it is a possibility.  This afternoon my son convinced me to go out kayaking with him so he could go fishing in the kayak.  No fish, but it was still fun. 

Thanks everyone for cheering me on!

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:03:09 pm »
Jean -

congratulations on being able to participate in the 5k race and - to top it off - coming in first in your age division!  What an outstanding accomplishment.

Bravo!!!!!!!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:06:16 pm »
Congratulations!  Thank you for sharing - it's inspirational.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 09:33:56 pm »
Way to go!!! Congratulations, celebrate and enjoy this rush of emotions. You deserve it.
Take care and God bless you,
Lynn

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 05:17:00 am »
Hey Jean:   I vote YOU into the AN HALL OF FAME !!!!!   (I, on the other hand, go into the AN HALL OF SHAME for NOT getting off my couch......).
                So, next week I have an extra day off - the question is:  does she get off the couch & once again get into an exercise routine ???
   Always good thoughts Jean!!!     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 05:34:41 am »
Congrats Jean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GREAT job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm jealous that I can no longer do so but thrilled you accomplished this goal!  Kudos to you!!!!!!! 8)

Congrats, Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 07:52:20 am »
Yeah!!  ;D its great to get our lives back in order... I too have been out kayaking! .. did a 6 hour tour thing a couple of weeks ago and had a blast... and spending most of my free time looking the ad's over for a used one!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 07:54:11 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

satman

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 09:32:27 am »
CONGRATS !! i'll be glad when i start driving again,so i can run to the beer store.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 06:11:28 pm »
YEAH JEAN!
I am proud of how far you've come. My son laughs at my running ability. (so do I am sure I'm very comical) First place even....WOW!

Hugs M

TP

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 07:13:24 pm »
Jean: I am very proud of you! I know you have worked hard and have a good attitude! You are an inspiration. I find physically I can do anything that I did before my surgery except hear and smile like I use too. I don't really need those assets to help me get out and sweat and get the heart beat pumping!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision