Author Topic: HOORAY !  (Read 4481 times)

satman

HOORAY !
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:33:05 pm »
As most of my A N family members know , I had a 17 1/2 hr surgery to remove 8 cm tumor and I was in I.C.U. for 6 days ,3 of those were in a induced coma,with a hospital stay of 15 days. From there I was transferred to a in patient re-hab, for close to a month,I had in-home re-hab for 2 or 3 weeks ,sorry i dont remember exactly. All of this started on april 1 2007. I was then scheduled for the 7-12 nerve jump [to get facial movement back], this surgery was supposed to be 2 hrs ,turned into 8. i have been going to out patient since june,i had a lot of things to work on, i have went from wheelchair to walker to cane,to nothing. After25 1/2 hrs of surgery in a 4 month period I noticed my hair was falling out.[that has stopped].
I still have facial paralysis , some balance issues, deaf in left ear ,left eye that will not blink, eating is a mess ,and a few other issues.
Well today was my last day of therapy and I thought that  day would never come.I'm still stiff legged and walking like OZZY,but I
get to where I'm going ,now I just have to do the exercises on my own. I still have a very long road ahead ,but at least I have
reached some sort of sign.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:35:27 pm by satman »
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

aardvark

Re: HOORAY !
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:37:20 pm »
And the sign is TWO THUMBS UP!!!!

Congrats!

Adrienne
1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:51:41 pm »
John:  I think it's amazing how much the body/soul can endure - you are an example of that.  I wish you great results with the 7/12, once again, patience is needed for that; but after all you've gone thru, you know all about it.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:00:01 pm »
Thanks gals , as I always say ,everyone on this forum is my inspiration.
I expect everybody to make a toast at 8:30 eastern[7:30 my time]
I wiill raise my glass to each and everyone of you at that time.
Please join me in the celebration . [world wide]

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:05:13 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  You have much to be proud of and much to celebrate.  Know that you also are an inspiration to many......you have overcome a lot.  Keep up the good work and getter better each and every day.  Our thought are with you.....CHEERS! (Champagne glasses clinking)

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »
Hi, John:

Congratulations!   :)

Your optimism and determination in the face of what must have seemed like overwhelming obstacles remain an encouragement for all AN patients.  You may not realize it but you are admired and respected by lots of folks you've never met.  I wish you continued recovery and reason to celebrate in the near future.  You've earned it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Clifton

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:08:54 pm »
Hi, John:

Congratulations!   :)

Your optimism and determination in the face of what must have seemed like overwhelming obstacles remain an encouragement for all AN patients.  You may not realize it but you are admired and respected by lots of folks you've never met.  I wish you continued recovery and reason to celebrate in the near future.  You've earned it.

Jim

i agree. congratulations.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

Denisex2boys

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 02:40:11 pm »
That is awesome news!  CONGRATS!!!!  Here's 'toasting' to a continued recovery!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 05:27:08 pm »

Hooray! ... I know the feeling !  ;D I still have the walker out in the garage ... and now I've been taking my new Kayak out for trips ... its slow.. but your on the road now!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 05:31:05 pm »
Excellent news, Satman!!!

You definitely are an inspiration to all  ;D

Cheers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 05:51:09 pm »
Satman,

You have reached the translunary goal to integrate rising above a niche status!  Do something special!

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

linnilue

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 08:24:50 pm »
Mazol Tov !!  I am so happy for you.  One step at a time and it seems to be working quite well for you.  This summer I got to donate my walker to a Vet form WWII and he was the happiest guy in the world but I was happier because I felt resurrected form that part of my life.  Rather than have it languish in my basement and be a constant reminder, I put it to continued good use.  good for you.  Now, enjoy the coming weekend off, you deserve it.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

robynabc

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:46:25 pm »
GOOD FOR YOU!  I am really happy for you!!   You are an inspiration.

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

satman

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 08:01:38 am »
Thanks for all the replies and very kind words.
just  to think ,all  the xmas presents i have to buy now,ha,ha.
I am going to walk around the State Fair of Texas today ,I hope I can
get a corny dog in my mouth .

Ellenmn

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 08:40:18 am »
Congrats on the progress that you've made and I know with your determination that you will continue to make further strides and amaze us all. ;D