Author Topic: Home from Hospital!!!!  (Read 5236 times)

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Home from Hospital!!!!
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:45:46 am »
Hello , I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm out of the Hospital.  First two days after surgery terrible headaches but treated quickly with good meds.  Then 3 days witn no problems, walked on my own, no paralysis, very little dizziness.  Day 6 got up felt tired, washed and shaved and then almost passed out, stayed in bed all day with IV's.  Day 7 felt good again but noticed the left side of my mouth didn't come up as high when I grin.  Day 8-12 everyday lowed doses of cortezone and everyday more Paralysis, I can't close my left eye completly and I have to use a straw to drink.  I have very little balance problems, can do most of the very difficult Physical Therapy exercises.  Doctors all say that because I didn't have and problems directly after surgery that it should all come back with time. 
                                                     Wish me Luck
                                                     Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Home from Hospital!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:53:45 am »
Dan,
Glad to hear you are home from the hospital.  Now take it easy.  Don't try to do too much too soon. Keep up the steady progress.  Slow and steady is the way to go.  You are doing great and now you are in the realm of the "posties".  Remeber that your AN didn't occur overnight and recovery doesn't either.  Glad to hear you don't have balance problems..........that is still a biggy with me twenty-six months out!  It was before I had the surgery too though.  Just don't try to drink that great German beer with a straw though.....wait on that one!
As my daughter says everytime I make a new stride, "Yeah! Yeah!  That's Great!!"
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

hendi51

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:07:52 am »
I hope everything goes well for you now Dan and your recovery is fast. I will keep you in my prayers.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:42:13 am »
Dan:  I had the same problems with my eye and mouth.  I'm almost 6 months post surgery and I can close my eye just fine and drink out of a glass or cup without using a straw.  I still have a little bit of facial and tongue numbness, but it slowly subsiding.  However, I do have significant balance problems which I hope will continue to improve.

My best advice is to take it slow.  When you feel tired, rest.  When you feel sleepy, sleep.

Best Wishes

Obita

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:27:25 am »
Hi Dan in Germany!!

I am so glad to see this post of yours!!

The face/eye thing happened to me too.  My surgeons called it late onset weakness/paralysis.  By the time I went
back to work at 8 weeks, my mouth worked again and my eye was almost closing all the way.  I could not stand
the eye patch at night so I used a piece of saran wrap after I lubed up.  It worked like a charm!!

Welcome home Dan,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:39:26 am »
Hi Dan:  wishing you continued healing my friend - as you've already read, those who had facial weakness after surgery usually get back movement, so BE PATIENT - & be patient with EVERYTHING.   Listen to your body, rest often - your body will let you know one way or the other if you don't !!!!   Remember to keep your eye lubricated - drops or lubricant, whatever works for you - you must protect your cornea!!!!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME !!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 04:13:35 pm »
CONGRATS DAN! hang in there bud it will get better.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 05:27:50 pm »
Dan, I had late onset facial weakness that started on Day 10 and lasted for the next 6 or 7 weeks; eye didn't close, smile drooped, cheek hurt, nose wrinkle weak.  I didn't have steroids, just waited it out and treated the dry eye.  Hopefully, your face will fully recover quickly too.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 05:41:14 pm »
Dan,

Glad you are home and back to being a postie.

REST  REST REST WALK rest rest rest Walk , eat and sleep … and plan do only this for a month. IE take it easy and do not do too much. (And don’t lift ANYTHING)

The sooner you can wean off pain meds and go with just Tylenol the better (the meds start to play havoc on the GI system if you are on these a long time- lots of archived posts on that)

If your body says “ouch I hurt and I am SO tired�… listen to your body lay down and sleep.

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 06:01:43 pm »
Hi 4,

I also have that “stick onâ€? eye lid weight.  I personally don’t like it because it doesn’t stay put.  Also……$250…YIKES!  I have the EXACT same product and I paid $82 including shipping to my house.  I would question that.

I also was told that I probably should wait before opting for eye surgery.  It’s not fun dealing with an eye that doesn’t work properly, but as long as I keep it “gooped upâ€? (a technical term by the way) it’s fine.  I just have to wipe it clean before I drive.

Anywho…..good luck with the temp weight.  Hope the eye starts working on its own soon!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

linnilue

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »
Hi Dan,  I'm glad to hear that you are home but sorry that you're having some issues.  Remeber, the brain takes awhile to recover and that is why you need to rest, the brain makes you feel tired so that you have to give in to it.  I know it's difficult but take the time, enjoy the rest, do the necessary exercises to regain your balance and give yourself a break.  You deserve it after all you've been through.  By the way, where are you in Germany, my husband does alot fo business there and is in your country quite often, I have been with him a few times but not lately becasue of this darn AN, but I absolutely love your country.  It's beautiful and the food is fabulous.  Good Luck, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 08:13:30 pm »
Dan,

Re your left eye...

Go here
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5211.0

Adrian and I have another thread happening... this may have some info for you that might be helpful.

Know there are solutions to get you through this.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 08:39:07 pm »
Dan -

so good to hear from you.  Welcome to the "Land of the Posties".  I think it was just yesterday that someone mentioned that we hadn't heard from you; glad you feel well enough to fill us in on your progress.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having, but in reading the comments of the others who've had similar issues, it sounds like they should clear up in time.  Take it easy, don't overdo, and get lots of rest; surgery takes a lot out of you.

Hang in there,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 03:08:18 am »
Just want to say thanks so much for all of the encouragement, prayers and suggestions.  I have been taking it really easy since I have been home, trying to do my facial exercises the Physical therapiest showed me, while I was in the hospital.  Monday I go to a Rehabilitation Center in the Black Forest for 3 weeks, from the information packet I recieved it looks like a very beautiful place to relax and recover ( sounds like a large health club resort with physical therapists as personnel fitness trainers) .  They have 3-4 hrs of therapy a day that you are requiered to attend and you can use the rest of the facilities if you're healthy and fit enough.  The rooms are just like a hotel but they have a buzzer so if you have a problem there is always a nurse available and a Dr on call. 
The last few days I have only been taking pain medicine (like tylenol) in the morning when I get up, slight headache every morning.  Cortezone is down to 7.5mg a day and drops 2.5mg each day until monday and then I am supposed to stay at 2.5mg per day for a while.
Jan you asked where in germany I live, I live in Albisheim a small town west of Worms or south west of Frankfurt, its about a 6 hr car drive from where your parents got married in Bremen. 
I've got to go lube my eye and lay down, can't sit at the computer more than 1/2 hr before it starts bothering me.  I would really like to be able to sit and read for hours, I finally started reading the last Harry Potter book while in the hospital and haven't been able to finish it.

Thanks        Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:11:04 am »
Dan -

the rehab center in the Black Forest sounds fantastic.  See, there are upsides to having AN surgery, afterall  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways