Author Topic: I'm going in  (Read 1893 times)

Raven

I'm going in
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:27:28 am »
For surgery on Nov. 7th............. This day can't come soon enough, I'm not scared or nervous, I'm actually looking forward to getting this done so I can start feeling better, mainly the balance issues. I'm a little more upbeat knowing the date now. This will happen at the University of Maryland Medical Center and be performed by Dr. Eisenman and Dr. Eisenberg. Since I'm bilateral, preservation of the hearing nerve in my left ear is a priority, the out come of this will determine what steps we take to deal with the one on the right side. The only problem I see is that I will miss the Ravens game that Sunday, darn it, some things are more important then going to Ravens games (I can't believe I said that). I can actually see the hospital from my seats at Ravens stadium, maybe they will put me in a room with a view of the stadium.........LOL

Seriously, as this date gets closer, any advice on things to do to prepare myself.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

satman

Re: I'm going in
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:09:39 am »
hi john,
you already have this thing whooped !
KEEP THAT ATTITUDE !
That was how I approached it ,what else can you do ?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Dealy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:23 am »
Raven- I will be thinking of you and praying that day for a sucessful operation. Hope everything turns out for you. As far as the game is concerned-I have not looked at my schedule. The Ravens are a good team-no doubt. Now I am going to ruin your day. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned that I wore my Pittsburgh Steeler Hat to Johns Hopkins when I had my radiation. All the Doctor's in the Oncology Ward where I had my radiation gave me the thumbs up. Only one patient said to me "How dare you wear that in Baltimore". My loyality has no bounds. So anyway The Best too you from another Nf2. Thanks-Ron. You are right though-Their are more important things in life than football-but I still enjoy it-my favorite passtime. Hey you have to enjoy something in life-Right?

satman

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 11:20:46 am »
being from Dallas ,all i can say is,
"HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS" !!!
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 12:01:49 pm »
Hi, John:

Congratulations on having a definite surgery date and actually looking forward to it! 

I was ambivalent about my surgery, which was scheduled fairly quickly following my AN diagnosis (3 weeks).  Like you, I wanted to get past it and heal but I had the usual concerns going in.  Fortunately, all went relatively well and its just a distant but quite distinct memory, now, 16 months later.  I wish you a similar experience. 

On a practical level, take care of as much of your personal business as you reasonably can before going into the hospital.  I refer to financial matters (bill-paying) and anything that may 'have' to be done while you're in the hospital or just coming home and recuperating.  You'll want an advocate while you're in the hospital and someone to help you out when you first get back home, as you'll be tired, weak and distracted - in no mood for doing or worrying about mundane chores.  You'll also be housebound for a bit and likely not able to drive for at least two weeks, even with a rapid post-op recovery. 

The recovery process requires some patience - you won't be '100%' for a long time - and reasonable expectations about the time-frame and extent of your recovery are crucial to avoiding disappointment, later.  If you haven't already done so, try to discuss these issues with your doctor, beforehand.

On a practical level, you'll want the same items you might pack for a trip: underware, pajamas, slippers, a 'toiletries' kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving necessities, comb, etc.)  Some reading material can't hurt but keep it easy reading.  For instance, Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' would be too much.  'People', Sports Illustrated' or even a Tom Clancy novel would be fine.  Prepare to be dizzy immediately following surgery and possibly experiencing some level of nausea caused by the combination of being under strong anesthesia for quite a few hours and the trauma of having skull surgery.  You're likely to be thirsty, too.  Ask for ice chips.

You'll sleep a lot the first 48 hours post-op but if you have no real complications, you should be feeling better by the third day.  I was bored out of my mind by day four in the ICU.  Daytime TV is really awful.  I convinced my doctor and the PT nurses  - by demonstrating my ability to walk up and down stairs unaided - to discharge me by Day 5 of my hospital stay.  Some folks go home even sooner.  Some have post-op problems and can be in the hospital for weeks.  I was fortunate to come through my surgery without many complications and I healed quickly.  I was highly motivated to recover rapidly as I had been well all my life and hadn't been hospitalized since I was nine years old.  My wife complained that I came home so fast that she wasn't quite 'ready' for me and that I was grouchy the first few weeks.  I was, but only because I was impatient to be done with this AN thing.  Now, I am.  Although all of the ramifications of having an AN tumor never totally disappear, the healing does occur, albeit slowly, and for most of us, life gets back to normal, eventually.  You'll see.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.