Author Topic: Field Report from House  (Read 2528 times)

mudpuppy

Field Report from House
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:42:46 am »
My wife recently had a 2.5cm AN removed by Drs Schwartz and Luxford from the House Ear Clinic.  I thought I would provide some information about why we chose House, and our experience there.

Since we live within an hour of excellent hospitals such as Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, and George Washington, why travel to the other side of the US for treatment?  While we did consult with many hospitals in our area, our phone consultation with Dr Schwartz pretty much made up our mind.  You see, you can send your MRI to House, and they'll give you a free phone consult.  It was obvious from talking with Dr Schwartz that his level of experience and passion were well above anyone else we talked to.  It was also obvious that removing an AN for doctors at House is very routine, while everyone else we talked to seemed to consider it somewhat exotic and/or special.  By way of comparison, doctors at House removed almost 300 ANs in 2006 (10% of the total number of ANs diagnosed in the US that year), and performed another 100 skullbase surgeries (~400 surgeries total).  Dr. Schwartz performed over 140 of those surgeries - well above the level of experience we found elsewhere.  In addition, whenever we asked other doctors how long the surgery would take, we were always quoted 10 - 12 hours.  At House, we were quoted 4 - 6 hours.  We were also impressed with the lack of bureaucratic red tape we had to deal with in any of our dealings with anyone at House (as compared to most other places we went).

In the end, we realized that it was important to choose a hospital that excelled at treating ANs over and above hospitals that were generally excellent.

Once we made the decision to go with House, I began to make arrangements for my wife with the hospital, St Vincents, where all of the surgeries are performed.  My wife has many allergies, including: chlorine (can't use tap water for anything, must stay away from bleach), soy beans (in almost all american food), and a few others.  St Vincents assigned a very experienced RN to work with me on these issues.  She arranged for the food services people to prepare special menus and order special food, briefed the staff that would be providing care, arranged for special linens, etc.  She and the other staff at St Vincents were more than happy to go out of their way to make this work for us, and they succeeded in doing so.

Let me back up a bit.  Due to my wife's allergies, we were originally very opposed to taking a surgical route, as even staying in a hotel is quite an ordeal.  However, after every doctor we talked to recommended the same course of treatment (surgical resection via retrosigmoid approach), it was obvious to us that going with House/St Vincents was the best option in this respect, because it was obvious from talking to them that they were there to work with us and make this happen.  At other places, it seemed that we would be fighting some sort of bureaucracy to make things happen.

Once we arrived in LA, we set up shop at the Seton Guest Hall, which is on the grounds of St Vincent hospital - a very short walk from the main building.  Each room is spacious, with a queen size bed, a sleeper sofa, a TV (no cable), a small fridge, a bathroom (shower, no tub), and plenty of places to unpack your stuff.  The common kitchen (shared by all) has a full size fridge, microwaves, a sink, and a toaster oven (no cooktop or oven).  In my opinion, the odd numbered rooms are better than the even numbered ones, because they have a nice view.  While there is no WiFi, there is a place to hook up your laptop on the 1st floor (ethernet), as well as on the 9th floor lounge of the hospital.  If you have a car, you can get a 7 day parking pass for $18.  There is parking right behind Seton in a parking garage.  And don't miss the basketball court in the sub-basement (only accessable by elevator).

If you're into excitement and stuff to do, Seton is not the place for you.  However, if you're looking for a very quiet place to stay to recuperate, with lots of supportive folks going through the same thing you're going through, this is the place.

The St Vincent's campus is located in the middle of a Latino, working class neighborhood.  While I have heard it called 'seedy', I would not say it is a bad neighborhood, and I never felt unsafe there.  I have been to bad neighborhoods, where you only seem to see idle young men and boarded up buildings.  This neighborhood is not like that.  You see plenty of women, including moms with kids, walking around.  I never saw any idle young men looking for trouble.

For food, there is the cafeteria in the hospital.  If you're into fixing it yourself, going west on 3rd street a couple of miles gets you to Vons and Ralphs.  Vons is a truly great grocery store.  If you go further, you'll hit Trader Joes and Whole Foods (on the outskirts of Beverly Hills - about 5 miles).  There's also a very nice mall across from Whole Foods.  The most convenient pharmacy is on the 6th floor of the professional office building (right next to Seton), but it's only open 9-5, M-F.  Buses run all the time on 3rd street, but we always used our car.

Seton is also very convient to get to emergency post-operative care.  St Vincents has an emergency room that is mostly used for after hours care of patients under the care of St Vincents physicians.  When my wife needed to go in late at night a week after the surgery, I just put her in a wheel chair and wheeled her over - she was taken care of immediately, and a doctor from House was there to work with the ER personnel.  This is NOT your typical ER with hours of waiting in a noisy waiting room.

Our first full day in LA was taken up with testing at House, which is just across the street from St Vincents.  Since more than half of the patients at House come from outside of LA, they are very much set up to handle travelers.  All I have to say about testing at House is that it runs like a machine - effective and efficient.  The coordination between St Vincents and House is nearly seamless.  We went through all of the testing in 7 hours, which culminated in seeing Dr Stefan.  Dr Stefan is an internist, and is the one who generally takes over from the surgeons to get you back on your feet.  He's also the gatekeeper - if there's any doubt about your fitness to undergo surgery - he'll keep it from happening.  He's very thorough, competent, and experienced.  Of course, you also see the surgeons who will be operating on you.  It's obvious that they know what they're about, and what needs to be done.

On the next day, they do the surgery, which normally takes 4-6 hours.  Following surgery, you will be in the ICU for 24 hours.  In the ICU, there is a nursing assistant assigned to watch each patient (they sit right next to the bed), and visitation is limited.  The nurses that were in the ICU while my wife was there had 17 - 25 years of experience, all at St Vincents.  They like what they are doing and are good at it.

In our case, the surgery took 8 hours, as the doctors had a very tedious time getting the tumor off my wifes facial nerve, which had been flattened by the tumor.

After the ICU, you will be in a private room in the hospital for 1 - 5 days.  Without exception, all of the nurses and nursing assistants were above average, if not excellent.  However, the thing that impressed us even more than their competence was their compassion and kindness.  While they have visiting hours, it is not unusual for a spouse to spend a night or two with a patient.  Of the patients that were staying at Seton, most were released from the hospital after 2 days, although you should plan on 5.  Of all the hospitals I have been to, this hospital was the quietest.  However, it is still a hospital, and you will get woken up periodically as the staff cares for you.

Going back to Seton was great for my wife, as it is very quiet and peaceful.  We never heard any noise from any of the adjoining rooms.  Its a place where you can focus on getting well.  Since Seton is on the hospital grounds, a hospital transporter will wheel you from your hospital room to your room at Seton.

Immediately following surgery, it is best to avoid doing things with your eyes, especially reading (even computer or TV can be bad).  Surgery cuts the vestibular nerve, which plays a part in controlling your eye..  Audio books are your friend.

Once you leave the hospital, you will be on some strong steroids.  These steriods can make you feel like YOU MUST DO SOMETHING.  It is important that you don't.  Many people at Seton had the experience of overdoing it, then having to not do anything for a couple of days as they recovered.  Do the exercises that they tell you to, and keep other activities to a minimum.  The steroids can make you feel normal, and you may be tempted to not draw all of the medicine that is prescribed - draw all of the medicine as soon as you can.  You may find that you suddenly need those strong pain killers a few days later.

While it is generally safe to get back on the plane 10 days following the surgery, I would recommend that you schedule your return flight for 14 days after.  If you need the extra days (we did) it's much better.  If you don't, there are plenty of things to see in the area (we went to Malibu on the last day - very nice).

The surgery was very successful for my wife.  Prior to the surgery, she was dizzy, and had facial weakness/numbness.  All of these symptoms went away following the surgery.  This would not have happened with radiosurgery, as the tumor would have still been there.  While she had perfect hearing prior to the surgery, she lost all hearing on the right side, despite the heroic attempt by the surgeons.

Many others had the exact opposite happen.  Since my wife's vestibular nerve was gone prior to the surgery, the surgery stopped bad signals from getting to her brain, which eliminated her dizziness.  Most people still have at least some vestibular function, and have a period of dizziness after the surgery.  Likewise, removing the tumor removed pressure on her nerves, which removed the numbness and other symptoms.  Most people have the opposite effect, as the surgery disturbs the nerves and causes a temporary period of facial numbness.

This was exactly the prognosis offered by Dr Schwartz when we first talked to him (although he stated that there was a 50% chance of retaining usable hearing in my wife's case).

We are very happy with the care we received at House / St Vincents.

1wareagle

Re: Field Report from House
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 08:37:27 am »
Mudpuppy,

So glad to hear that your wife's surgery went so well. Your experience at House was much like mine. The only difference was that my wife does not drive well in heavy traffic. So we ended up hostages in Seton Hall for 2 weeks. If we had had a car it would have made our stay much better. The Hospital food was OK but after a week we wanted something else. The last day I mustered the strenght to board a trans bus to take us up the road to The Grove and Farmers Market. The bus ride like to killed me. We stopped at every intersection to let on more people and we were packed in like sardines. We should have taken a cab but the nurses at House told us that the place was right up the road and to take the bus out front.

Also not having cable at Seton Hall got to be a little boring at times.  But all in all it was the best place for me to have my surgery and recover before the long plane ride back home.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:53:29 pm »
Hi, mudpuppy:

Thanks for the detailed and informative description of your wife's surgical experience at the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.  Its obvious why this facility and the House surgeons are so popular with AN patients.  This kind of glowing reference based on experience simply adds to the clinic's well-deserved good reputation.  Those seeking and/or considering AN surgery and concerned about the doctors and/or hospitals in their immediate area (for any reason) should certainly consider 'House', in L.A. for their surgery, even if it means a plane trip and a short hospital stay out-of-state and out of range for visits from friends and family. Your wife's experience makes it sound worthwhile, even if House is not the only facility in the country with AN-experienced surgeons and a qualified, caring nursing staff, they sound like a safe bet for most AN surgical patients.  This is probably why they are usually the number one choice for AN surgery.

Had I not discovered a locally-based, very experienced neurosurgeon (with four decades of AN surgical experience) and a hospital that may not be famous or five-star but is staffed with competent, caring nurses, I would have made the three-thousand mile trip to Los Angeles and had my AN surgery performed under the auspices of the House Ear Clinic.   Your experience validates that opinion.  Thanks again.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:52:00 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:02:28 pm »
Mudpuppy -

it sounds like you and your wife had a great experience at House; thanks for sharing it in detail; it will be very helpful for others trying to decide where to have their AN surgery.  It's very fortunate that your wife was able to have her surgery at House - especially in light of the other "lesser" options available closer to your home.

I'm happy to say that I was also fortunate to find a great place, and thankfully, in my case, I didn't have to travel far.  I had no desire to travel for my surgery and recovery period, nor could I have afforded to be away from my home and my children - both financially and emotionally.

My surgery was done is Illinois and I couldn't have asked for a better surgical team or a better outcome.  I also had a 2.5+ cm AN and my surgery was only 7 1/2 hours, not 10-12.  The original estimate of surgery time was 4-6 hours, but during the surgery it was discovered that the hearing nerve was wrapped around my AN.  Like your wife I now have SSD; I have no facial nerve issues.  My surgeons were highly experienced and highly qualified - they don't do as many AN surgeries a year as House, but they are right up there with them; AN surgeries are routine to them; not at all exotic or foreign.  There was no red tape involved with either my doctors' offices or with the hospital where I had the surgery.  In fact, every insurance glitch that came along was handled immediately - before I even had a chance to call my insurance company my neurotologist's staff had already handled it. 

It sounds like your wife is doing wonderfully.  I'm thrilled to say that I am, too.  Looks like we both made excellent choices.

Jan   

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mudpuppy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:32:37 am »
Leapyrtwins,

We were very apprehensive about all of the travel involved, too.  One unexpected benefit to leaving the area was that it isolated us from any of our responsibilities at home.  Before we left, we had to make sure that there were people who would take care of everything for us, and once we were in LA, we could focus on the surgery and getting better with very few distractions.  It was amazing how tempting it was, once we were back home, to be involved in all of the day-to-day things - even though friends and family were taking care of things.

If you do decide to travel, and are traveling by air, keep the following things in mind:

1) If possible, get a direct flight with no stops.
2) Get the earliest in the day flights you can (less susceptible to weather and other delays)
3) Avoid flying during the last few days of a month.  Many airlines have cut back on personnel, and pilots have been known to run out of hours, grounding planes.  (This happened to a friend who visited us in LA - she was stranded in Charlotte)
4) Arrange to have a wheel chair at the airports (call ahead, have it marked on your tickets) - even if you are mobile and/or think it is silly.  Just bite the bullet and do it.  When you arrive at the airport, talk to the skycaps and explain that you require a wheel chair and are signed up for one.  It takes a lot of energy to get through airports - you need this energy for your surgery and recovery.  And don't forget to tip the people (skycaps) who wheel you around the airports - they work for tips.
5) Buy ear plugs.  We found that my wife needed ear plugs in her ear after the surgery, as the jet noise caused lots of ringing.

OTO

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 06:21:16 pm »
Mudpuppy,
I agree 100% with your comments about House Clinic/St. Vincent.  For my plane ride howm, we were very lucky.  It was an early flight (I think 9:00 am).   Another patient made arrangements for a car service to pick my father and I up at Seton (nice guy).   We made the pickup earlier at 6:30 am.   Since it was so early (and a sunday morning), there was no traffic.  For whatever reason, the line at the airport check-in was short, and the line at the metal detectors even shorter.  I walked to the gate, even though I could have asked for a wheelchair.   I felt I needed the walking.   We used up every last one of our airline miles to get first class tickets (to LA and back home).    First class is the way to go!!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:56:45 am »
Mudpuppy,

It sounds to me like your wife has a very loving and caring husband.  She is a very lucky woman!  ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

FlyersFan68

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:42:48 am »
Hi Mudpuppy,
   I was diagnosed with AN in 2003 and doing very well today (surgery 04). It seems that most (if not all) the experiences I read about at House are wonderful. I wasn't familiar with House in '03 as I am today. I'm glad you guys made a decision that you're comfortable with and utilized this forum to find the perfect place for your treatment. House performs these surgeries everyday and their experience shows. Best Of Luck!