Author Topic: Gold Implant for eyelid  (Read 3573 times)

Lance

Gold Implant for eyelid
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:59:11 pm »
Could anyone provide input on the surgical implant of a gold eyelid weight. Even if you have not had it done what you have heard:

How bad is the surgery?
How bad is the recovery?
Complications?
Does it feel weird?
Other complications - cornea rubbed dwon by the gold weight, appearance, etc.

Thanks.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Gold Implant for eyelid
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 04:20:01 pm »
Hi Lance:  The surgery for the gold implant is not bad at all. It's done out-patient.   The only recovery issue is swelling (expected of course) - so you will be putting the ice pack to your eye for a few days.    Pain (for me) was minor, nothing extra strength Tylenol didn't cure.   I had the implant put in, then, unfortunately had it removed 8 months later as I had an allergic reaction (very, very rare, so don't worry - no one else on this board who had the implant had this reaction, just me) - so they took the implant out (no biggy surgery wise, but I MISS IT - will be getting a platinum weight in a month).    You really don't even notice it.   And the help it gives to blink more is incredible, not to mention you will certainly LOOK much better !!!!  The docs will know what amount of weight to use, so don't worry about your cornea.   My doc did tell me it should be removed & replaced every 5 years as it can 'break thru' the eyelid (he even showed me a picture of a patient this happened to.)   
If your docs recommend the weight, go for it.   So that's that - you WILL LOVE the results !!!!!
All the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 08:15:05 pm »
hi lance,ask me tomorrow,i'm having
that surgery in the morning plus a stitch in
the corner of my eye,sounds like fun !
surgery is scheduled for mon,at 9:45.
they said I will be awake and it should take 1 hr 30 min.
I will post tomorrow as soon as I get home.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

satman

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:09:02 pm »
Hi Lance,I just got home,had the eye weight surgery
today,it's fast and painless.
being that I just had it done Iam swollen.
It is not uncomfortable at all.
As far as I can tell I can not see it or as a matter of fact, I can not even tell it's there,I dont feel it at all.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:13:05 pm »
Super duper trooper Satman... ;D :-X

You are SO awesome. I am still sticking (literally) to my temporary double-side sticky-taped-on eye-weight wondering if and/or  when my eyelid will ever function on its own.

I am terrified to have anymore surgery...

But you seem to have taken the ‘scary’ out of it…

If my eye is not blinking by my 6 month mark (I am at 7+ weeks post surgery)  … I may look at this option too.

My eye weight almost fell into the dishwater the other night – Nancy warned me of losing it … however  so far I still have it and it IS working…

I’ll be sure to post if I do lose it … and the $250 down the drain… (Adrian will not cry as much as he would only loose $80 something...)

“8� you are just too amazing :)

Signed you fan club follower…  ;)

“4�
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:31:13 am »
Glad to hear all went well John.   Keep the ice to your eye.
Bet it LOOKS better even with the swelling!!!! (mine did!).
Take care,  Nancy
ps:  hey 4, keep that gold strapped on !!!!   & yes,  GO FOR THE GOLD (implant)!!!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:54:53 am »

Go ahead and get the eye weight "4cm in Pacific Northwest" .. its almost not surgery .. just a cut on the skin .. position the weight.. stich it up ... quick and painless..  :)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

satman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:07:11 am »
thanks for the support ladies . I would highly reccommend the
 extra jewerly. last night I never had to put in the lube,thank god!
Although  anxiety does present itself,this surgery is nothing to
worry about,I promise.

Lance

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:37:15 pm »
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am going for the surgery in November and feel much less anxious about it now.

Dfcman

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:46:12 pm »
yeah its nothin...they dont even put you to sleep.  They might give you some Novocaine.  But its pretty painless it just feels like someone messin with your eye.  I forget for days and even weeks at a time I even have one.  Its not really noticeable either.  I cant say i've had a single person say what's that bump above your eyelid?
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 01:05:01 pm »
HI EVERYONE.
I HAVE A PLATINUM IMPLANT IN RIGHT NOW BUT I THINK IT IS TOO HEAVY OF A WEIGHT CAUSING PTOSIS OF THE UPPER LID. I AM GOING TO HAVE A REVISION BUT WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHICH LOOKS BETTER. THE PLATINUM IS A HEAVIER METAL THEREFORE A LIGHTER/SMALLER WEIGHT CAN BE PUT IN THAN GOLD.THE PLATINUM IS ALSO A CHAIN WHICH CONFORMS TO THE CURVE OF THE EYE....BUT I'VE NEVER HAD THE GOLD. ALL OF THE DOCTORS HERE IN ARKANSAS DO GOLD. I HAD TO GO TO SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS FOR THE FIRST SURGERY BECAUSE I HAD HEARD SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE PLATINUM. DOES THE GOLD WEIGHT PUT A BIG BUMP ON THE EYELID AND DOES IT GO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE EYELID. MINE IS POSITIONED MORE ON THE INNER ASPECT (TOWARDS THE TEAR DUCT) AND IT CAUSES MY EYE TO SLANT DOWNWARD. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. WHAT WEIGHTS DID MOST OF THE LADIES GET? I HAD A 1.4 GM AND TOO HEAVY.