Author Topic: Questions for the ANA Community-  (Read 4695 times)

xtine

Questions for the ANA Community-
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:08:53 am »
Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this message board so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not.  I'm very anxious to tell you all my symptoms and for you to let me know what you think.

I'm 33 years old and have 2 small kids who I look after full time.  Approx 2.5 months ago I belive I devloped an inner ear infection.  I was dizzy and had ear problems for about a week or so.  On top of all this, it seemed like my right ear was the 'weaker' of the two.  I have already experienced a mild hearing loss from this ear for about 2 years (low tones).  As I got better my left ear didn't give me any trouble but my right ear began to feel full and I heard a lot of rining and whoosing from it.  I have gotten about 3-4 really bad vergito attacks as I was getting better.

After 2.5 months of being sick- I still have a lot of strange symptoms just in the right side  Sometimes it feels like my ear 'flares up' when this happens, I feel numbness, brain confustion, headaches, pain around the ear, jaw pain, anxiety, etc...

Perhaps the strangest symtoms that I 've experienced is like muscle twitching or tremors coming from the bad side of my head as well as a full feeling in my bad ear.  it feels like blood isn't flowing properly as I can hear a swishing noise when i bend over then stand up, strain when lifting something or when i turn my head really fast... like something is blocking it.

I've been to my GP more times that I can count.... just got written off by my ENT and am now waiting for a neurologist as well as balance testing.  I plan to go back to my GP next week and ask her to get me an MRI so I can know for sure what's going on or what isn't...  I did have a CAT scan in ER last week when I went when I was having bad headaches and facial numbness.  Apparently that was normal.

My questions are- do the symtoms i list sound familar?

Also, is it possible to miss an ANA in a CT Scan?

I'm sorry- I would write more but my 2 kids are in the process of ripping the hosue appart and I must go stop them!

Thanks in advance for everyone who responds... I'm really distressed about this and am having a hard time finding support from anyone!

Cheers,
Christine

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Questions for the ANA Community-
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:20:25 am »
Hi Christine:  YES !!!!-ANs can & are missed on CT SCANS - you need to have an MRI with contrast.
                  As far as symptoms, everyone is different, yet the same - my only symptoms were decreased hearing & constant tinnitus on the AN side.  I never had numbness, jaw pain, confusion, vertigo, BUT other's have.
So - get your doc to order an MRI with contrast.
All the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
Hi Christine.  An MRI with contrast is considered the "gold standard" for diagnosing AN's, so I would definitely tell your doctor you need to have that done.  Even if it isn't an AN causing your symptoms, your body is telling you that something isn't right and you need to get to the bottom of that.  Seems to me if the CT scan came back normal and you're still having symptoms, your GP should be looking for the cause.

As far as symptoms, my only one was numbness in the side of my face - like when the novacaine from the dentist starts to wear off.  I never had any of the "traditional" symptoms like hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues.   What can I say - I like to be different.   :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 11:40:17 am »
I would say most people who show up here with classic AN symtoms get a MRI , and its clear of AN's

but Yes.. you have all the classic symtoms ... an MRI/w contrast will show it... (a CT scan can see it but its much harder).. but any ding-a-ling can see a tumor on a MRI with contrast...  :D

I found this on another site:
Contrast-enhanced CT will detect almost all acoustic neuromas > 2.0 cm in diameter and project further than 1.5 cm into the cerebellopontine angle. Those tumors that are smaller may be detected by MRI with gadolinium enhancement. Audiology and vestibular tests should be concurrently evaluated using the Weber's and Rinne's test to assess for sensorineural versus conduction hearing loss.

so I you do have one .. it is more likely a smaller one .. and thats why it was missed on the CT scan ....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:49:03 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:13:04 pm »
Hi Christine and welcome.

As others have noted, a head MRI with constrast is key in determinining many issues that can occur (ie: ANs, vascular issues, etc).  Please discuss with your physician and see if they feel an MRI with contrast will be necessary to help you obtain the answers you seek.

I hope you feel better soon.... hang in there.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mary 117

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:33:34 pm »
Christine-
You should really try and get an MRI with contrast. I had very similiar symptoms and the first MRI (without contrast) didn't show anything. A year later another MRI(with contrast) showed a 2cm AN.

I hope they can figure it out for you. Good Luck

Mary
2cm AN, Middle Fossa, HEI Dr. Brackmann,
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

xtine

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I went to my GP today and requested an MRI and she's speeding up the process for me too (canadians tend to wait for tests).

Thanks all for your support... I'll call Monday to make sure it's one with contrast!

Cheers,
Christine

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 09:45:30 pm »
Christine,

Good for you for being so proactive!

4 :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 11:37:43 am »
I hope your MRI with contrast shows you don't have an AN!  But as a full-time mom with two young kids myself (they were 4 months and 3 years when I was diagnosed, and 1 and 4 years when I had surgery), I just wanted to say that it's not the end of the world if you do have an AN.  My surgery was 13 months ago, and life got back to standard-operating-procedure (relatively) quickly after the recovery period.  It is possible.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

xtine

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 05:26:02 pm »
Thanks Everyone!  Katie- Thanks for the words of encouragement....  My kids are my biggest concern and I worry that I will not be able to take care of them if I'm sick ... it's nice to know that someone else has been through this and has gone back to some normality.

I am really hoping for a clear MRI too!

I'm sure I have a little wait.... I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks again.

Christine

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 05:35:11 pm »
Good luck, Christine, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT