Author Topic: High blood pressure since the OP!!!  (Read 5394 times)

Dan

• Dan in Germany
High blood pressure since the OP!!!
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:57:14 am »
Hello from the Black Forest.  The weather has been great here, and the walking trails and forests are beautiful. I just wanted to ask if anyone has had high blood pressure problems since there OP.  Before I found out about the AN my blood pressure was a little bit high, 130-145/75-90, after I found out about AN it went up to 140-150/85-95, since the OP it has been 150-175/95-105.  The Dr. here in the Reha started me on blood pressure meds. last Monday but this morning it was still 172/101.  I have only had one day with headaches, and that was the day that I got here.
I have been riding stationaire bike 30 min at a time 1-2 times a day and walking 2-5 miles per day,  I have Physical therapie, message, or water aerobics 2-3 times a day, so I feel pretty fit.  I notice just about every day that I can raise my eyebrow 1mm higher, and I can close my eye a little bit more, with help (fingers) I can close it all the way but only when my other eye is closed.  I had a scare one morning woke up and my eye was really red (I still use eyelube every 2-3hrs during the day and a patch at night) went to eye doctor and he said there was no damage to the eye, but he gave me another cream for the nights.  The Dr. extended my stay in Reha until 12 Nov. I think by then I will be able to go back to work if there are no other problems, I just have to keep working at closing my eye. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: High blood pressure since the OP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:48:26 am »
Gee maybe we should all go to Germany (  ;D LOL ) …this sounds like you are making a wonderful recovery there in the Black Forest!

My blood pressure was excellent both before and after the AN. So I am not sure the tumor or surgery specifically can affect this.

MMM Stationary biking and hiking - can this increase you blood pressure. You are not pushing to hard are you?

Is there an “increased blood pressure side effect� with any of your medications? Might want to read up on those… “IF� you are taking anything.

Can you send us the web link to this place again?

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 10:35:56 am »
Hi Dan:  My BP had always been normal, but after surgery it skyrocketted:  running around 180/120!  They were giving me Clonidine post op to bring it down, but it stayed that way the entire time.  After discharge I was told to see my PCP - it remained high,  so I too was started on Antihypertensive meds.   It remained high, the doc adjusted the meds.  I bought a blood pressure machine at a drug store.   The 2nd med they tried did the trick.    I now watch my salt intake, etc.   Was it due to the AN or was I pre-programmed for this?  My father had Hypertension, I tend to be a Type A personality (working on changing that too, but it's hard).   In any case, I view the med as 'keeping me normal'.     All the best, Nancy    ps:  Wish I was in the black forest too !....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Dfcman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 09:06:52 pm »
Dan,

hello.  Everybody assumed I was still on medication after my AN but in all reality I was just taking High Blood Pressure Medicine for about 2 months after.  I assumed it was normal after my ordeal and all the pain medicines I was on.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 01:07:06 am »
I haven't  taken any pain meds for the last two weeks, only two things I'm taking now are blood pressure and cholesteral meds.  My blood pressure is measured 1 1/2 hrs after breakfast (when I take blood pressure med.), and I don't do any walking or physical activity until after its measured.  I also try to watch my salt intake and have been eating alot of fruits and veggies since the OP. 

It could be it was just my time, my father has always had high blood pressure and my older and younger brothers have been taking blood pressure meds for years.  I guess I was just hoping it wouldn't get me too.  My father and younger brother are both over weight and my older brother has had alot of stress the last few years, 3 times in Iraq (now retired US Marine). 

This is the internet address for the Reha where I am, there are 3 clinics, I'm in the Waldbronn clinic
http://www.ruland-kliniken.de/

Dan in Germany
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:25 am »
Dan -

sorry to hear about the high blood pressure, but other than that it sounds like you're recovering very nicely.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:03:57 pm »
This is also one of my complaints. I mentioned it to my ENT he didn't know
I had always had good a heart then after surgery blood pressure problems.
I also have to take my asprin and bloodpressure pill daily.
It is so funny none of my family that I know have ever had heart problems.
eve

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:47:09 pm »
BP is easily affected.  Unless you have a 'home' monitor and can take daily readings at the same time under the same conditions, occasional blood pressure readings may not always be entirely accurate.  However, if your numbers consistently soar about the 'normal' BP levels, there is probably something not right.  Many things can affect blood pressure readings and not all of them external.   Stress is always a likely culprit and with an acoustic neuroma, surgery and recuperation, stress is almost a given.   

Dan: glad to read that you're doing well with your recovery.  May you continue to improve.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 05:56:33 am »
Here in Reha they measure my blood pressure everyday at 9:30 am, 2hrs after breakfast and bloodpressure med.  The Drs have changed the dosage twice now and today they want to change me to a Betablocker.  I wonder if it might just be when I have my blood pressure measured I'm always hoping it will be better and stressing myself.

Dan in Germany

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 11:32:20 am »
Dan -

you have a very good point.  The stress and the anticipating might just be adding to the problem.  When I go to the doc, I typically have him take my BP at the end of the visit - rather than at the beginning.  At the beginning, I'm a little nervous about the visit, but by the time I'm just about ready to head out the door, I'm much more relaxed.

Also, when they take your BP, do they always take it on the same side?  Sometimes your BP can be different from your right arm to your left arm.  I've had two completely different readings within minutes of each other just by having the cuff on the opposite arm.  It sometimes makes a difference too if you are standing, sitting, or lying down when they take the BP.

Just some thoughts,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 03:37:23 pm »
Post op I was on four blood pressure meds due to complications from surgery. I was weaned off a few months after to be put back on about six or so months after that. Not sure if it is AN related but know when I am anxious it really shoots up. There is a family history of hypertension and meds in the family. Have also been given the choloesterol talk. I would think part of mine is not being as active as I was due to the balance issues. But as previously mentioned your bp will fluctuate different times during the day and with different machines. In order to get an accurrate reading you should take it at various times during the day.

Dan I would say you are anxious about your BP results. They should vary when they take it to get a more accurate picture.

linnilue

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:06:34 pm »
Here in Reha they measure my blood pressure everyday at 9:30 am, 2hrs after breakfast and bloodpressure med.  The Drs have changed the dosage twice now and today they want to change me to a Betablocker.  I wonder if it might just be when I have my blood pressure measured I'm always hoping it will be better and stressing myself.

Dan in Germany

I just saw your post and I am very interested in what is happening to your BP.  I too had the same situation, sometimes my BP would be 180/120 and my whole life before the radiation it was normal.  I was diagnosed many months later with a condition known as dysautonomia.  Basically the brain isn't regulating the BP properly.  The automic system isn't responding as it should.  I was put on betablockers ( atenolol) by the cardiologist and then he sent me to one of the best experts in the world, Dr. David Robertson at Vanderbilt University.  It is a very strange disese and has only been studied for about 10-15 years by only a few people.  But you sound typical.  Go to the Vanderbilt website and look up dysautonomia.  It's very interesting.  There is no known direct correlation with AN's but I have to wonder because I have seen others on this site develop BP problems post treatment.  I hope the betablockers help.  Betablockers are the drug of choice for this disease, also a diet higher in sodium(which I know sounds counterintuitive but it works) and alot of water.  Extra water has a great influence on this condition if you have it.  I am wondering and curious.  Good Luck, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 06:59:35 pm »
Dan,

My blood pressure has been slighty elevated since my surgery. My Dr. doesn't think that it is high enough to medicate.
You're not the only one, brother.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 05:52:17 am »
Thanks for all the info and suggestions.  I will talk to the dr. tommorow morning and see about taking blood pressure different times of the day and different arms. He said I should try the Bete blockers for at least three days before he makes anymore changes in meds. 

Dan in Germany   

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 06:55:03 pm »
Wow, Now that I read this Perhaps there is a correlation between the two   because my blood Pressure sky rocketed  too. I have had alittle high before but now its like  heart attack  high. My Docter put me on higher
blood Pressure Pills.  Scary :(        Lisinopril  20mg 
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,