Author Topic: update from cheza  (Read 4434 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
update from cheza
« on: October 27, 2007, 04:44:44 pm »

Hi to all,

Its not much of an update but I said I'd keep you posted:

I went to  the hospital on wednesday for my pre-op it wasn't very exciting really filled in a questionare uknow the usual stuff age, weight, family history, allergy's what kind of house I live in, what my nieghbours cat had for breakfast... just kidding

they took my blood and a wee sample oh and some other samples you really don't need to know about, checking I'm not
carrying anything horrible (as you may know we have some superbug problems in our hospitals, MRSA)

Anyway all that being well I'm still all set for november 9th, 12 days to go.

To say I'm anxious would be an understatement, I'm being very short with everyone as if I don't have time for them, but I do, its just that everything else seems so trivial to me right now, i just want to stand on a big hill  in the middle of nowhere and scream "I've got a brain tumour" but I'm too scared because if i did, the only person I'd be telling is myself, and then I'd know its real, it is really happening.

I know some of you on here have known about you tumour's for a long time I only found out 4 weeks ago, I'm still trying to get my head round it if you'll excuse the very poor pun, I think by the time it hits me it will be gone and I'll be recovering, I guess you might say I'm lucky its happening so fast because I know the wait and watch must be agonising and i really do feel for all of you, your all very brave and very very strong.

so anyway thats the story so far

I'll keep you posted, untill the next time,

Keep smiling  :)

Cheryl  :-* XxX
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: update from cheza
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:09:08 pm »
Big ANA Family HUG going out to you there in England from a Canadian… residing in Oregon USA.

I remember the pre-surgery anxiety all too well. :(

I suggest you round up the entire family (kids and all) and go somewhere just for FUN  ;D and take pictures  :D. We actually went to an amusement park … although I avoided anything that would jar my neck, head and back. I have great photos of sitting with my youngest on a Ferris wheel and the merry-go-round at Oaks Park.
http://www.oakspark.com/
 (Good thing I did it then as "post op" one does not want to do anything like that …for a while) We also went to the beach, for a day, and rented these tricycles and rode off on the sand with the sea breeze. I printed these photos up and had these with me in the hospital.

Then after that …you need to make your “to do� list. If you are a "MUM" (or as Americans say "MOM") you will most likely take care of everyone else’s needs first. I finally remembered to ask an elderly neighbor if she could be “my� caregiver just two days before I headed for hospital. This is a time to get the kids on a “chores chart� – so they know what to do while you are resting. (I.e. train them up now – as you won’t want to be doing this during you recovery time)

Here are a couple of resourceful links:
http://www.supernanny.co.uk/Advice/-/Parenting-Skills/-/Routine-and-Teamwork/Kids-and-chores-How-to-create-some-housework-harmony.aspx

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/061507.htm

Speaking of training the kids up … remember to maintain a sense of humoUr.
I hope you have seen this video by now ...if not I hope it has you giggle and relieve anxiety
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM

Make sure your bedroom is set up as “your sanctuary� to rest in once you are home… and everyone respects this space while you are recovering. If people are offering to drive your kids and bring your family home cooked meals- take them up on their offers! This is a time to ‘let go’ and place trust in your family and community. (Mine pleasantly surprised me!)

Also know that your ANA family is here… however geographically spread out we are that does not keep us apart.

(Currently my kids are asking for striped toe socks for their pirate costumes for Halloween … little did I know Capt Deb could influence little wee pirates here in Oregon State. They are getting all dressed up to visit our friends’ “haunted houseâ€? set up in their garage.)

Take time to have FUN with your kids before the surgery.

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 08:42:47 pm »
Good luck to you and we'll all be thinking about you.

I only knew about my tumor for about a month too, before the surgery, but you're right - if I had to wait much more than that, I would have driven myself crazy worrying about it.  I am a "planner" - I have to have everything organized at all times - so it only gave me a few weeks to drive my husband nuts with my to-do lists and lists of who to call, who to e-mail.  I had outfits laid out for my 4 year old for preschool days and for non-school days (because I knew if I left it up to him or the 4 year old to pick out matching clothes, she would have gone out the door looking like a clown after a rough night), I had cooked dinners in the freezer so no one would starve, etc.  Turns out they all handled things quite well without me here to watch over their shoulder.  And before I knew it, I felt well enough to do all the planning after I got home from the hospital.

I hope things go as well for you as they did for me.  Good advice to enjoy the merry-go-round now - take some time to enjoy yourself and take care of you!

I'm looking forward to hearing all is well!
Lori  ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:05:39 pm »
Good luck, Cheryl.

I, also, had only about 4 weeks between my MRI and my surgery.  I was anxious to have the surgery so I could start recovering; I had an out-of-state business meeting to attend and as you probably know, there's a waiting period before you can fly on a plane after surgery.

Anyway, anxiety and stress are normal feelings.  Just take comfort in knowing that you have made your decision and that it's now in the hands of your very capable surgeons and God.

I'll keep you in my thought and prayers.  I'm confidence you'll do great and soon you'll be a fellow "postie".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:49:04 am »
I know what you mean lori, I too am a very organised person, I've stocked up my freezer with loads of meals I've been cooking extra portons each time we have a meal, just so my husband will eat whilst I'm in hospital, The kids will be staying with thier dad for most of the time as my husband (the kids step dad) works shifts, I've even wrote down notes for their bio dad to follow you know homework timetable, bed times, after school clubs that sort of thing.

I'm going to take the advice of 4 and have some fun before surgery, we too are going to a halloween party fancy dress all the way, our halloween is nothing compared to you guys in the U.S but it should still be alot of fun, and I just bought myself a new digi camera so will take loads of pics.

I think next weekend will be about me and the kids and just spending some quality time together.

Once again I can't thank you all enough for your kind words and poitive thoughts.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:13:17 am »
Hi Cheryl,

It looks like me and you are riding on the same train..............I went in for my pre op last Thursday and I'm having surgery on Nov. 7th. I'll be thinking of you on the 9th, heck I don't have anything else planned for that day...........LOL. My pre op nurse / techninician knew an awful lot about acoustic neuroma and NF2 as well, we had a lenghty conversation and she made me feel really comfortable about the upcoming surgery, she was alot more then a "blood taker". I don't remember reading it anywhere, but what kind of procedure are you having?

Good luck!!!

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:13:17 am »

hi John (raven)

I'm having translab, I'll be thinking of you on the 7th I hope all goes well for you! this is an anxious time for us both and I'm glad your pre-op was imformative, my pre-op nurse was a bit bla se' about it all and made it sound like I was just going in to have a wort removed, "if only"  ::)

I will send positve thoughts your way on the 7th where in this small world are you?

and keep in touch it will be good to speak with someone who is going through the same as me at the same time, we can compare notes on the other side, What surgery are you having?

oHIo

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 01:31:39 pm »
Good luck to you Cheza and Raven.  We'll be thinking about you. 

I am looking for a December or January surgery date as the waiting and watching is getting old.  The last episode of vertigo was the deciding factor, although looking at a definitive date is making this whole thing more "real".  I am also a planner and a control freak.  Having an AN certainly is not conducive to either.   

Keep us posted.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 05:00:22 pm »
Cheryl,

I'm having the middle fossa on the left side, don't know if you know it or not, but I'm bilateral. Both ANs are about 1cm. Lost just about all of my hearing on the left side, OVERNIGHT, no kidding. So preserving what is remaining on the left side is paramount for possibly a cochlear implant. The outcome of this surgery will determine what we do with the right side. I'm 45 minutes from Baltimore, Md. I'm having this done at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

oHIo, I think I know what you are talking about in regards to waiting. I was diagnosed in July, I had no balance issues. Now I'm limping to the finish line as they have really increased in their intensity, don't know how much longer I could have waited., no change in the left side hearing as it was / is almost toast.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

Charlotte Lady

two things I wish someone had told me at home
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 07:35:51 am »
Hi
I'm new here.  I'm five weeks post op of a 1.5 cm AN.  I'll add the two things I wish someone had told me to have at home post op.  A bag of frozen peas and the softest pillow I could find.

A bag of peas makes a perfect ice pack.  No crushing of ice, no big lumps of ice cubes.  My NS recommended it to me for post op pain.  I don't eat peas so I had to go buy them.  I think it may be the first time I've ever had a bag of frozen peas in my freezer.

As for the pillow, I like a firm pillow.  After surgery, though, I felt like I had been hit pretty hard on the back of my head.  Even my pillow hurt.  I ended up shopping at Kohl's five days after getting out of the hospital.  So not fun.

I did think to have prune juice at home.  After that much codeine in the hospital...well, you get the picture.

Good luck with the surgery.  Remember you get to sleep through it.

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:55:41 am »
Icing caution

I used ice to – it helps with the pain on the incision area.

Do not have the ice on for more that 12 minutes at a time. Otherwise this can cause frostbite to the skin, tissues, and surrounding muscles… inhibiting the healing process. It is very important to have a little timer so you can time this.

I can relate to having to go to the store after surgery. We stayed in a temporary apartment in Mountain View CA (i.e. I went out-of-state)… I had no idea what stores were where. We found a WAL- MART (A store I cannot stand to go into even before surgery and the best-of-times)… so I could buy some of those funky wrap-around-sunglasses that would fit over my eye-bubble-bandage.

To that list I would add
   a hand held shower nozzle
   a non-skid stool for the shower/tub
   Carnation Instant Breakfast powder to add to milk (same nutritional value but half the price of  the “ensureâ€? or “boostâ€? drinks)

If Bell’s palsy is an issue
   q-tips and Vaseline for the dry nose
   nasal strips
   blitex overnight ointment for the lips and nostrils
   lip balm
   preservative free dry-eye drops

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »

Hi Donna & 4

Thanks for those tips I'll get to it and hopefully there'll be no need for me to go running, I mean carefully walking to the shops for any last minute aids, I always have frozen peas in the freezer I love pettie pois, and now i like them even more now I know they have a medical advantage, ha ha!

its a week today for me and it seems to be getting more real the closer it gets, this time next week it will be all over and I'll be recovering  ;D

cheryl XxX

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:39:02 pm »
Cheza,

I am rooting for you!

Know that we are here at the touch of you key board and mouse pad.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 04:08:57 pm »
Cheza
Wanted to wish you luck and let you know we will be thinking of you. Keep us informed during recovery. HUGS!!!!

Mindy :)
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lori67

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 05:19:11 pm »
A couple more practical tips for you - eye wash to get the gunk out of eye that tends to build up.  I use the Baush and Lomb sensitive kind.  Works good to rinse stuff out.  And oil free eye makeup remover works great at getting the build up of nighttime lubricant off your eyelashes without burning the heck out of your eye.

Oh, and straws.  I don't know if everyone has this problem, but I haven't been able to drink from a glass without liquid leaking out of the bad side, so I have to drink everything with a straw.

Hopefully, you won't need to use these pearls of wisdom, but if you do, I hope they help.  Good luck to you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.