Author Topic: Scar tissue?  (Read 3757 times)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Scar tissue?
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:54:29 am »

I've been thinking ...  :o ..... I still have scar tissue on my belly from the fat harvest .. so I must have scar tissue in my head from the AN surgery

when I had my PT, they told me to rub the scar tissue to help it go away ... but how I am to do that in my head !!!  I bet all this scar tissue is slowing my facial nerve growth .. (but I will say , I've always been a slow healer .. simple cuts seem to take a long time)

whats everyone thought on promoting healing ?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Re: Scar tissue?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:00:52 am »
Josef,

My doctor did say that scar tissue was fairly common. Has scar tissue shown up on your MRI? I have a 4mm x 5mm enhanced area on my MRI and was told it could be scar tissue. (or possible residual or regrowth). 

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:07:38 pm »
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor!   ;D

I thought scar tissue only forms on skin or organ tissue.  The belly incision would certainly create scar tissue at the site; and I know you can get it on the skin where they cut into your head.  But is it possible to form scar tissue on nerves, or other structures deep inside?  My guess would be no, but I'd be interested in learning.  Maybe I'll have to look into it more...  You've piqued my curiosity...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:48:05 am »
I'm not a doctor either, but I like to pretend to be one!  :D

Ok, I was told that scar tissue will form around the AN at some stage post treatment with CK. Hence the tumour going black on the MRIs at first from necrosis, and then turning white again from the scar tissue. Scars I think will form anywhere in and on our bodies.

Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 09:47:35 pm »
I think I've read other posts about possible regrowth or scar tissue at the AN site when an enhanced area is seen. Time will usually give more clues to what it is. I had surgery in 2004. I will have another MRI in 6 months. No growth would indicate scar tissue or a tumor that is not presently growing. Growth would be tumor.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:29:53 am »
As far as the incision goes, so long as it is fully CLOSED now, I suggest trying arnica gel or better yet ointment for the incision scar.  (Head and belly.)
It helps in that is is a lubricant, making it easier to rub the spot.  Arnica has been shown to help bruising very much, and healing in general.

*This was told to me by 3 different Chiropractics, and one PT. :)

I've used it with success.  Hope this helps!

p.s.  Just did a quick Google search to be sure, and you can get the scar tissure in your brain.  UGH. 

I think eating a healthful diet is a good start on helping scar tissue go away.

I also have my interest now piqed.  I wonder if there is a supplement recommended for scars and healing...

Off to look for us both!  ;) 

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:44:30 am »
i passed out months after my surgery and they did a cat scan and some something on the cat scan...it was an er doctor and when i took the cat scan to my ent...he said scar tissue was built up...is anyone else out there so frustrated with lack of movement in their face....i have been strong but have broken down lately...this sucks !!
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

lori67

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:22:02 pm »
Yes, I'm frustrated too about the facial issues.  Most days it's not a big deal, but I went to the grocery store the other night and felt like everyone was staring at me.  They probably weren't, but it feels that way sometimes.  I came home very frustrated and feeling pretty bad.  Fortunately, I had just bought some ice cream - so I was able to drown my self-pity in a nice bowl of Ben and Jerry's.

I asked my doctor for a copy of my surgical report last time I saw him.  Now any time I start feeling bad for myself, I look at that and see what I went through and realize I'm actually pretty lucky.  I think when my facial function comes back, I'm going to walk around all day smiling and blinking at everyone.
Lori
 :-\ - this must be the AN smiley - with the crooked smile.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:53:01 pm »
that lopsided smile makes me smile....sadly mine looks like that  :-\ no one can understand what we are going through....it is the hardest thing...we need to be lucky we are alive and here but sometimes i need that icecream :)  my ent is starting a clinic to deal with depression and all the side effects...sounds pretty cool...maybe they will give me a job
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:47 am »
Meagan,
   BIG KUDOS to your ENT.  It's about time some of these doc's that deal with AN start apying attention to the after effects it has on us. Most  seem to  deny the depression and cognitive issues were a result of the surgery.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:04:00 am »

I've been thinking ...  :o ..... I still have scar tissue on my belly from the fat harvest .. so I must have scar tissue in my head from the AN surgery

when I had my PT, they told me to rub the scar tissue to help it go away ... but how I am to do that in my head !!!  I bet all this scar tissue is slowing my facial nerve growth .. (but I will say , I've always been a slow healer .. simple cuts seem to take a long time)

whats everyone thought on promoting healing ?

I took massage therapy classes and was told to minimize scar tissue one can "cross fiber friction" the scar (lotions/creams don't work).  I applied this technique to my head and hip (where they took the fat) area.  One needs to know how the grain of the underlying muscle tissue runs and after figuring that out just use gentle pressure with fingers and go across the grain.  My scar in both places is soft and pliable (can manouvre or pick up skin).  It's more difficult on the scalp area to pick up the skin, but when I squeeze the skin I can pinch a little of it.  This is good indication the skin is not "stuck" ridgidly to underlying tissue.  This helped reduce the scar, but on my hip even though it's soft it is wide and discolored.  The closure was not sutures, but rather glue.  Maybe that's why it doesn't look so good.  Hope this helps. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear