Author Topic: Driving???  (Read 2718 times)

chica07

Driving???
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:14:55 pm »
Hello!!
         I had AN surgery removal about 6 weeks ago. I want to know, when it is safe to drive a car.  Thanks

lori67

Re: Driving???
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:45:15 pm »
My doctor said it was okay whenever I felt ready.  He did suggest that I don't try it at rush hour on a Friday on a busy highway, but maybe the WalMart parking lot on a Sunday morning!

I guess I was probably about 7 or 8 weeks post op when I started driving again.  I think I could have done it sooner, but I didn't need to and my husband was more nervous than I was about it, so I waited.  I stayed on the backroads at first and then worked my way up to the Interstate.

I've heard some states require you to notify the DMV when you have AN surgery and they'll determine if you're safe to drive again.  I don't know if that's true because, thankfully, I don't live in one of those states.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:01:56 pm »
Well, I think everyone is different.   I started driving 3 weeks after surgery.  The only problem I had was the dizziness when turning my head to look either direction.  I had to start driving that soon out of necessity.  Got on Interstate 95  after going a few miles on the road, the first time out.  It was a little scary at first, but, what can I say?   Gotta do what ya gotta do!  (I drive a stick shift too!).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:59:38 pm »
chica07:

I would consult your doctor for advice that pertains to your specific situation but for what it's worth, my surgeon gave me permission to drive two weeks following my surgery, only because I had a rapid recovery and was anxious to regain my independence by being able to drive, again.  I experienced no problems but am more cautious now than I used to be, which is not really a bad thing at all.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 05:54:40 pm »
Pre op my doctor said that it would be okay to start driving 6 weeks after surgery.  Post op, he told me that 4 weeks would be okay but that I should decide for myself when I was ready.  He said to take the car around the block a few times to begin with instead of attempting a cross-country trip  ;D

Although I probably could have started driving at 4 weeks, I waited until 6.  My mom moved in with my kids and me after surgery, so I had the luxury of having a chauffeur (LOL) and I didn't really have any incentive or any need to drive.  I had enough I was dealing with - fatigue, balance issues, SSD - so I waited a little longer.  If I wouldn't have had anyone available to drive me and my kids, I probably would have started driving earlier.

Everyone is different.  Once your doctor gives you the okay, you should pretty much know if you can reasonably try it or not.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OTO

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:13:36 pm »
I started driving around 5 weeks post-op only during the days and not in heavy fast traffic.  It took until 8 or 9 weeks until I felt comfortable driving at night.   I still have trouble reversing into parking stalls, but I never was too good at that anyway...

matti

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 11:49:19 pm »
I was back 8 weeks after surgery. I acutally felt ready at about 6 weeks,  but I held off because my family was worried. I did sneak out once or twice at 6 weeks  ;)

I am 9 1/2 years post op and still can't drive at night :(  The oncoming headlights cause me to see halos and my pupil dilates to the point that I can't see. It stays dilated for several hours afterward.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50