Author Topic: Sudden onset of Dizziness.....  (Read 3537 times)

candtlaw

Sudden onset of Dizziness.....
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:27 pm »
Ug, first, I must say I guess I am just in a sort of pity party mood today. I am trying like heck to stay thankful for all the blessings around me and all that I have to be thankful for. All of that being said, I am soooooooooooooooo freakin dizzy these days. It is worse than before my Cyberknife that ended 04/30/07 for my 1cm AN. I have 3 lovely kiddos and a wonderful dh and I just want to enjoy life............... sigh................  I just recently started Topomax for migranes. Do you all think it could me making it worse? It does make since that it could be with the timing of it all I suppose. It is just so dang difficult anymore to know what is the cause of what and if this is a symptom of that and if this is a symptom of that. I am sooooooo tired of thinking of it all, ya know? I bet you guys know? I swear I just want the old me back.... What do you all think?
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Sudden onset of Dizziness.....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 04:34:23 pm »
Hi, candtlaw:

I'm sorry to learn of your dizziness but, to be on the safe side, I think you need to consult with your physician about this.  However, I do know that one of the noted side effects of Topomax is dizziness, so that could be the culprit in your case.  Some dizziness (post-Cyberknife) is not totally uncommon but, to be honest, it could be a multitude of things causing the dizziness so, again, I would consult your physician.  I agree that the lingering effects of both the AN and the treatment can be frustrating but, post treatment,  most of the annoying symptoms eventually pass, so try to enjoy the holiday, your family and your relative good health on this upcoming designated Day of Thanksgiving.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

candtlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:52:31 pm »
thanks Jim. I have to call the Dr tomorrow, huh? The Topomax wasn't working anyhow....
Cyndi

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:22:23 pm »
Hey there girly...I'm sorry to hear about the dizziness. I hope your feeling better. I have had tolerable but annoying buzzing....ya know. Please keep us informed of what the doctor says and also on how your feeling....HUGS to you and hope you feel better soon.  :)

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:04:37 pm »
Hi Cyndi, you're gonna think I'm crazy but my husband fixed me up better than any drugs I had been taking. He took a wet washcloth, drapped it over a Tupperware bowl about the size of my head, and voila! Frozen Helmet Head invention. Remove the frozen wash cloth from the bowl and wear it as needed. It works great. Keeps a pocket of cold air insulated around your skull. Worked great for post translab!

Best wishes, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:41:16 pm »
I am definitely trying that frozen helmet for my next migraine!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Static

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 04:38:14 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well but I don't know of dizziness being one of topamax's side effects.  Besides which, it takes quite some time before the topamax will start to help you.  Depending on your dosage, it usually takes a pretty high dosage to get any help and you have to start with a small dose and work your way up.  I just don't want you to give up on a good medication for migraines if it is just a coincidence and not really the cause.  I do talk with someone in the PA area who also had cyberknife and who also had a sudden onset of dizziness and is not on topamax so it may just be coincidence.  Check with your doctor before you stop any meds.  Good luck to you.  I hope you find a way to get through this. 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:53:46 pm »
Hi Cyndi
I hope your feeling better.....I have missed your conversations. My MRI showed only my original AN on right side. It has not changed. Nothing found on otherside....phew....so far so good. I still have this tingly sensation on left side of face around my check bone kinda by ear....strange....I get it every now and then. I cant explain why and neither can doctors. Well let me know how you are doing.....I'll be thinking of you.
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 11:27:50 pm »
Cyndi ,

IceWhen I was in hospital, post AN op, I kept requesting ice for my incision (in other surgeries, on my family, ice was prescribed.) It did relieve the pain. The medical staff however had concerns I was using ice on my head (I was too medicated to remember their full explanation) … I would recommend not wearing the ice more than 12 minutes and in spaced intervals … you also want to be careful to not get frost bite on your scalp (which I understand to be more sensitive that regular skin in limbs, etc)

Just a thought…

I still know diddly-do about GK – so I won’t comment there.

Topamax side effects
I think Jim Scott is on to something there worth exploring
One of my favorite websites for looking up drug side effects and interactions (and I have had more than a few) is Canada RX

Have a boo at this one and see if there is something you want to know (or not)
http://www.rxcarecanada.com/Topamax.asp?prodid=2454

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Rc Moser

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 08:04:37 am »
Here are some more site to research drugs.  I haven't explored them to the fullest yet, but I alway research drugs and there side effects, and interaction with other drugs. IMO sometimes if they don't work you may be worse off that not taking them. www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp   
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 10:28:49 am »
RC Moser,

Thanks for that good RX link – I have book marked it. :)

19 hours for a 4cm+ in translab(TL)? Boy you are a trooper. I deliberated over TL and RS …and up until today- I wondered if I had the translab if my surgery would have taken less time due to the access point of entry … until I read this.

This more reiterates that each patient is so different and it is not just about size but location and nature (adhesiveness) of the tumor.

Wow 19 hours  :o  is a long time. Did you have any facial issues post op?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

candtlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 03:18:50 pm »
tytytytytytytytytytyt all. You guys are the best................. recent visit to ENT to get a Topomax replacement resulted in  a apt for Tues with a cardiologist. Full family history of heart problems and i guess lightheadedness and dizziness accompanied by chest and limb pain, are heart symptoms as well as anxiety which to this point is what the drs have written it off as. I will let you all know how it goes.............. reading all the posts I feel soooooooooooo loved. THANKS AGAIN. Im not alone ey??
Cyndi

Rc Moser

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 09:32:07 pm »
Yes,  I had some problems, 8th nerve was very weak for about 8 months. Done the eye weight thing for awhile. Mine tumor was there for a long time and of course it was stuck like glue to surrounding tissue. That's why it took so long. I had a great Dr. he didn't give up till he got it all. I now have very little noticeable droop and have all facial functions except lift. My eye is about 60% watering and I can blink  my eye normally. Still wants to creap open at night. But, all in all I doing OK except for the headaches, fatigue, and some short term memory loose. I have read it may take 10 years to heal and get back to normal if I can remember what normal was.  I'm crossing my fingers. I take little drugs, only over the counter tyn.  for head pain when I can't bear the pain and of course when a migraine hits. Tyn. and ICE bag has been working for me.  Coming up on my 5 year MRI in about 8 months. Seems I got it easy compared to others.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.