Author Topic: Symptoms and Altitude  (Read 3005 times)

leharner

Symptoms and Altitude
« on: November 29, 2007, 04:56:17 pm »
Does anyone have a change of symptoms at higher altitudes?

I have a small an in my right ear, and I live at 7,000 feet (at the Grand Canyon). When I go to Phoenix or Las Vegas I am actually less dizzy than at home. I still walk with a cane to keep level, but not as many problems turning around. Once I come back, the first couple of days are really bad, and then things level out a bit. Just wondering if any one has problems with this. I know altitude is usually a middle ear thing, but it happens consistently for me.

Laura

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Symptoms and Altitude
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:13:41 pm »
Hi Laura and welcome.

I know there are some folks here from the Colorado area, so hoping they can chime in with their thoughts (and others at, above and below sea level).

I ran into this with airplane flight, with a quick dip in altitude and cabin air pressure, but I know it's not the same as what you note.  We know the air is "thinner" at higher altitudes and curious (if any) that it has in playing a role with what you note.

Hoping someone can respond to your question better than I can, but did want to say welcome.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:15:27 pm »
I live at sea level, and have travelled twice and stayed for a few days at 6 + thousand feet, then flown home.  Didn't notice a difference at all.  I never got winded or anything before at altitude, so I may just be one of the lucky ones that altitude doesn't affect.  At the lower level you're getting more oxygen from the air and that could be helping your brain function better, so it's entirely possible.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:22:41 pm »
I traveled to Denver about 8 1/2 weeks post op and didn't have any issues with altitude.  I kind of expected to, but thankfully it never happened.  I even took the cog train up to Pike's Peak and everything was okay.  I might not be a good comparison to you though, because my AN was surgically removed.  I think what Gennysmom said, about more oxygen at a lower level enabling your brain to function better, makes a lot of sense.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Static

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:25:06 am »
I live close to sea level.  I've noticed when travelling in mountainous areas of PA the pressure in my head makes me so dizzy I have much difficulty if I am the one driving so I try not to be.  Once I get over that initial change, I'm usually ok except when I try to take pictures.  I do most of this travelling with my daughter's marching band (she's in color guard) and I do alot of picture taking and when I try to stand still to take the pictures I usually sway all over the place unless I'm leaning against something.  Guess I need a tripod!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

goinbatty

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:13:26 pm »
Looking back, I should have known something was up a few years back.  I live near the beach but was raised in the foothills.  A few years back while driving in the mountains, I got very dizzy to the point of nausea.  When we stopped, it took about 20 minutes for my head to settle down.  Who knows.  Maybe this AN was dropping hints all along that I just ignored or attempted to anyway. 
Recently on the flight home from DC (consults at Georgetown), I had trouble mainly due to a cold.  In early summer, I flew out west (visited Vegas and Grand Canyon) and only intermittently noticed a mild odd feeling in my head but no outright dizziness or pressure.  Then sometimes I wonder if I'm just not being paranoid and notice it more. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change