Author Topic: Back to work  (Read 6242 times)

Jeanlea

Back to work
« on: October 25, 2005, 09:36:17 pm »
Hi all,

I will be going back to work on October 31.  I thought Halloween would be a good day to return especially since I still have facial paralysis.  I will be one day short of 8 weeks post-op.  After reading advice from other people on here I have decided to return to my third grade classroom for half days during the first two weeks.  My superintendent has also decided that he would like the sub to stay with me the first week with an option to do the same the second week if I feel I need it. 

My question is how have people dealt with the people they work with.  I am beginnning to get the feeling that some people don't think I'm mentally where I was before because I look different and they know I've had brain surgery.   Like I should need years to recover from brain surgery because  it must have affected my brain.

On the upside, today I determined that I will keep the one teacher I find most annoying at school on my left side (AN side) which is now totally deaf.  There ought to be some positives to all of this.   ;D 

Can you tell I'm a little nervous about returning to work?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nannettesea

Re: Back to work
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:57:38 pm »
I can relate.  Just started a NEW job, entering 9th week post-op, still terribly dizzy, doing 1/2 time first two weeks then expected to go full time.  I'm VERY nervous about a full-time schedule.

Sorry about the facial paralysis.  At this point I might trade you for the dizziness!

I wish you the very best next week!
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 07:21:01 am »
Nan,

Good luck to you as you head back to work.  What kind of work do you do?  The dizziness must be hard to deal with.  My biggest challenge will be speaking clearly through the half of my mouth that works. 

Do what you can at work and remember to take care of yourself.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Terrie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 08:58:05 am »
Jeanlea,

I don't know if you have children or not, but one of the things that has been real difficult dealing with SSD is that you can't tell where the voices are coming from. My kids LOVE to do this to me. They yell to me from another room or from across the room and I don't recognize which child or where they are calling from ( EXTREMELY frustrating.)
I even have a problem with this at work. Thank God I work in a small office and for the most part they understand and remember!

Might be something you want to discuss with the 3rd Graders. But becareful, you know how kids are...You don't want to add fuel to the fire  :) (I gave my kids WAY to much fuel...they love to annoy me  ::)

Please let me know how you are doing...  Good luck Monday! I know you will do great!
Terrie

wanderer

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 09:12:35 am »
make your life easy and tell them that you had surgery and that the doctors said as long as no one made you angery you'd be just fine otherwise if you did get angry you could go into a rage and start killing anyone around.  ;D

they won't know what to do.  Might work on the other teachers too.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 10:38:42 am »
Hey Wanderer,

I like your idea.  I may try that if things don't go smoothly.  lol  This is going to be an interesting transition.  These students have only had subs so far this year.  I'll be teacher number 5.  Wonder if they've seen the Incredible Hulk.  You don't want to make me angry...You won't like me when I'm angry.     ;D

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

steph

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 11:40:40 am »
You are very smart to take all the support they are offering you. Don't try and be a  hero! You will only punish yourself.
I don't know if you already did this but I made a point of going into work before I started so everyone could see me (I also have facial paralysis) and ask questions so on my first day back it wasn't such a big deal. I still have a hard time walking down the hall without someone stopping and whispering "how are you doing"? not sure why people always feel the need to whisper to people who have had any type of major medical condition but it is especially challenging since I can't hear out of one ear. So I always assume they are asking how I am even if I dont hear them. I am not complaining, my colleagues have been amazing, they even welcomed me back with a 500 dollar gift certificate to a spa!!! I was speechless. Anyway, it is amazing how quickly people adjust and get used to you being back, I think it will be hard initially but as they see you as being "fully functional" they will quickly regain their confidence in you. Good luck I will be sending you lots of positive energy on monday.

nannettesea

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 01:50:56 pm »
Jean,
I do office work, but still requires a lot of up and down, crouching for files, any movement of my head makes me dizzy.

Thanks for the empathy.  You are very brave to go back to work with facial paralysis.  I'd feel brave if I weren't so d.... sick all the time.

Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 05:25:02 pm »
Jean: I can understand your nervousness, I am a nurse and work in the mental health unit. I was very nervous about returning to work. I was concerned how the patient's would respond to me and I was concerned that some of my co-workers may go on a "witch hunt" using this as a way to get rid of me (I wasn't liked by all of my co-workers and there was a group that would pick apart everything you did and report everytime you looked sideways). I returned anyway, held my head high and essentially adapted a "no bones about it" motto, this is the way I am. Interestingly the psychotic patient's were the only one's that presented a problem, they tend to wind me into thier delusional system if the tend to have delusions. Over the years there has been problems because of my hearing but I have learned if someone wants me to hear them they'll make sure I do. I have always made myself very open to educated questions and I would presume new staff ask others what's wrong with me and I know most of my peers would tell them briefly and then tell them to ask me knowing I am very open about it. Only once has there been a big problem with my co-workers, we had this real b*%ch and we got into it one day....in the end she implied I fake my hearing impairment to get out of work....she ended up in the bosses office. When it comes to children, my own have been raised knowing what happened, one of my son'd friends made fun of my to him and this really upset my son. I sat the boy down and told him high up " I look like this because I chose to be alive, I had a choice of going to heaven or looking like this. I am glad I made the choice I did because I have Nicholas and Samantha (mychildren) and because of that I know you.) In the end the boy and his Mom, and myself were in tears, he apologised and said he was happy I made the choice I did.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

luv2teachsped

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 07:47:32 pm »
Hi Jeanlea:  You'll do fine, I'm sure.  Actually my students all do quite well.  I just have to remind them to come closer or speak louder because I can't hear them.  As for the teachers, well you've got it right.  Everyone(most everyone) all asked me how I was when i returned, and soon everything was pretty much forgotten.  During meetings , most teachers are all very considerate, the ones who don't seem to care whether I hear them or not, I've decided I don't care to hear them either.( yes, I have a few of those too)I've learned to laugh at myself and that seems to break the ice with the staff I work with evryday as well as my students.  The other day, in the girls bathroom(with many stalls) one of my little ones needed help.  I made the mistake of asking"Where are you?" to which she replied"right here".  We laughed together as I had to go down each stall looking for her feet, as I could not localize her voice.  We actually have lots of fun.  This is the same little girl who I couldn't hear, asked her to come closser, and she preceded to throw up on me.  !  Don't be too hard on yourself, but be prepared for some frustration!Take Care and I'll be thinking of you!  luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

jw

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 08:42:01 pm »
Is it just me, or are most of the people here teachers?  I think I recall someone mentioning it before, but there really are a lot of teachers here.    Listening to all of those little ones all day makes your ear grow its own little one?  I wonder if other professions have "their own" medical problems?  It makes me feel sad for being so hard on all of my teachers when I was younger!  :(  Actually, I was always the teacher's pet.  Perfect student.  Role model.

Good luck going back to work, JeanLee.  Any time you're away from work, it's always a bit nerve-wracking to head back to work.  In your case, I'm sure it's even more so.  Just remember the friends that you have there.  And, it sounds like they're considering you when working you back in gradually and with the sub.  You can always tell the students you were away getting an implant put in and that now you have special powers.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

kimmy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 02:52:24 pm »
Hi all.  I am starting back to work on 31st too but I have been into the office this week 3 times, doing just 3 hours each time,  to get back into the swing. (1.5cm AN. Trans-lab surgery Manchester, UK, 13 August 2005). Most of my co-workers said how well I look and I feel I have been extremely lucky as my face is getting back to normal pretty quickly although I'm still drinking through a straw.
The problem I have now is that my vision seems to have changed and I am having an eyetest next week to find out what's happened.   Has anyone else had this problem?

This is a great forum and I thank you all for the information and support you give to others. 
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

cookiesecond

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 06:36:41 pm »
Hi Kimmy,
My vision has changed too.About 1 month post-op I noticed something in my vision. It looked like an ink spot.The opthomalogist said I had blood vessels that were hemrhaging and swollen optic nerves. I thought it was from the meningitis I developed about two weeks after surgery.
Now that the nerves are better I still can tell a difference in my vision. She says wait until my 6 month visit before I make changes to my prescription.

Did you notice this immediately after surgery?

I had translab 8-2-05 to remove a 3cm AN.

I hope things go good for you as you go back to work. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Lynn

Jeanlea

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 06:21:31 pm »
My first two days back at work have gone well.  They were supposed to be half days, but I decided to stay all day.  Having my sub in the classroom with me is working out nicely.  I'm getting up to speed quicky as to where the students are.  Today I even did all of the teaching, even introduced some new routines. 
Yesterday I spent some time explaining to my students about my surgery and how I am deaf in one ear.  They are helping me remember to put my eye drops in every two hours.  Great work for elapsed time which we are learning.  I explained about my face being half paralyzed.  One of the students wanted to know if both sides of my nose smelled things!  I think it does, but not as strongly.  lol
I've been amazed that my days have not made me tired so far.  Must be because of all the rest I've gotten since the surgery.
My balance has been fairly good with very little wobbling.  My greatest challenge is moving with people next to me moving, but I feel that will improve with time.  My hearing has been okay in the classroom.  It's the worst in the lunchroom, but then do I really want to hear all of that noise anyway?
It's good to know that I can still teach.  My students are handling this very well.  I feel so lucky.

Kimmy, how is your job going now that you are back full time?

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 12:55:39 pm »
Jeanlea i'm happy to hear your transition back is going well for you. Doesnt it amaze you how incredible our bodies are...I remember feeling like I would never be able to bath myself alone much less resume my life fully.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.