Author Topic: Alot of newbies  (Read 4169 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Alot of newbies
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:55:48 am »
I have notice the number of new members climbing. Not that its a good thing. Its not a good thing.
I just wanted to let all the newcombers know that I'm sorry that you have been diagnosed with AN and that I'm very happy to see that you have joined this forum. This place is a great place to ask questions and talk about anything that you want to talk about. I do find it strange that since AN is a rare thing to happen that there are more and more people being diagnosed. My doctor and neurologist have told me that AN is getting to be pretty common.
Well I just wanted to WELCOME the newbies and let them know that we are here for them.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Sam Rush

Re: Alot of newbies
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:17:47 am »
An interesting statistic is that the # of AN's diagnosed corresponds directly to the # of MRI scanners available in a community.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Mark

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:51:57 am »
Sam makes a good observation about the relationship between AN diagnosis and the use / proximity of MRIs in the past 10 years or so. I think there will be a slight increase in the number that are found in coming years as opposed to the past when some % of people went to their graves with AN's undiagnosed becuase they were asymptomatic. That being said, even if the annual number found in the US goes from 2500-3500 up to, say 5000 as a result, it is still statistically insignifcant and rare in a population of roughly 250-300 million people.

Separately, as it relates to the cell phone controversy that pops up in articles and "studies" from time to time. I do not discount or reject there may be a causal relationship, but until the epidemiolgy demonstrates a significant increase in the magnitude of the number of cases nationally, I'm not sure that you can prove that either. I always get a kick out of these headlines that say something horrifying about heavy cell phone users increasing their risk of a tumor- malignant or benign by 30-50%. Does that mean 30-50% will potentially get an AN which would mean huge numbers in the future, or does it mean that it is the increase on their non cell phone use risk, which would be on the order of less than 1%. Well a 50% increase on that level of risk would be 1.5% total risk. Hmmmm  ::)

Again, Not saying there isn't a real issue there, but there is some bad science out there and reporters who take things out of context to make a headline. we all have to read critically.

What's that old adage, "figures can lie and liars can figure"  :o

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Jackie

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:56:22 am »
Welcome also to the "Newbies". I think we can attribute the perfecting of technology to the growing numbers of Aner's, also!  We're here to help and to learn!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:08:39 pm »
I think it also relates to the numbers of people with internet access who are researching their diagnosis and exploring their options. Power to the Patients, Right On!

Capt Deb
Child of the 60s 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 01:11:12 pm »
 Hopefully, with more MRI machines available, the average size of the AN at diagnosis is falling.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:19:31 pm »
I just know that this site was a Godsend for Sam & me!  There are always mixed feelings when welcoming newbies.  I just recently graduated from newbie status :-\ (that's my crooked smile again)  I credit this site for saving my life!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:21:21 pm »
Adrian
Even with your crooked smile your a very handsom man. Sam is a very lucky girl. Keep smilling  ;D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

lori67

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:29:22 pm »
I think crooked smiles are very trendy these days!  It's good to be different, right?   :-\ 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:44:25 pm »
THANKS Mindy  :-\............ ;)
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 04:11:23 pm »
I have no idea how many people are being diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma these days but I'm sure that access to information via the internet may be a factor, as are MRI availability, compared to some years ago, when only big-city hospitals had an MRI facility.  That noted, I very much doubt that AN's have any significant association with MRI scans, much less, the mere presence of magnetic resonance imaging machinary.  Radio waves are used but there is no radiation involved.  Furthermore, acoustic neuroma tumors were known 100 years ago, long before the advent of MRI, cell phones, jet planes or heavy concentration of power lines. 

I freely admit that I have no credible answer as to the cause of AN tumors and this is just my opinion but I have to discount much of the latter-day speculation regarding medical machinery, electronic devices, planes, power lines and excessively loud rock music being the cause when the condition existed long before any of these things were around.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:22:48 pm »
thanks everybody. I have just noticed that the number of memebers keeps climbing. I just found this strange. I do think because MRI's are more available.

Sam Rush

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 12:53:28 am »
Jim

I didn't mean to imply that AN's are CAUSED by MRI scans, but are found more because of more scans being done.

Sam
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

kat

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 06:48:11 am »
Hi Everyone

I wonder how many AN's would stop growing if left alone . I had already accepted the fact that my tinnitus and loss of hearing
were the result of a perforated eardrum which had healed but had reduced my hearing . I somewhat reluctantly had the MRI scan
offered by my GP and which I even cancelled once because of other plans . I absolutely did not expect the result to show a 2.2 cm AN !  If I had not had the MRI I do not think that any of my symptoms to date would have made me seek medical advise since
the fairly  minor problems that I have had may have been the result of my GK treatment.  Once I knew that I had the AN of course I felt that I had to do something about it and started the research which in the end led me to have the GK 31 months ago . Now I am waiting for a date in the next couple of months for my next MRI which should show if the AN is dying . I am getting a bit nervous because a lot depends on the result since my husband and I are looking forward to a very active retirement in the new year.

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 04:19:19 pm »
Jim

I didn't mean to imply that AN's are CAUSED by MRI scans, but are found more because of more scans being done.

Sam

Nothing personal, Sam. 

In my post I mentioned the increased access to MRI technology as a probable factor in any increase of acoustic neuroma diagnosis.  However, I've seen folks speculate on everything from the proximity of power lines to cell phones being the culprit that I suspect a few people still believe that almost anything that may interact with the ear (such as loud music, jet planes, etc) or is even vaguely 'electronic' can cause acoustic neuroma tumors, including the relatively benign MRI equipment.

Jim      
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.