Author Topic: ces-Mastoiditis  (Read 2152 times)

ces

ces-Mastoiditis
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:03:39 am »
The ENT's office just phoned and told me that I have mastoiditis. The report specifically says no indication of an acoustic neuroma. I start antibiotics today -

I'd like to remain a "friend" of this forum. Your immediate responses when I was scared were wonderful and I will always be grateful for your calm advice.

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 10:19:26 am by ces »

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: ces-Mastoiditis
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:54 am »
What is mastoiditis? I'm glad to hear you dont have AN ;D
Yes continue to be our friend here. We are happy to hear your comments.
Thanks for being a friend ;)
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

ces

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:20:29 am »
Mastoiditis is usually a consequence of a middle ear infection ( acute otitis media ). The infection may spread from the ear to the mastoid bone of the skull. The mastoid bone fills with infected materials and its honeycomb-like structure may deteriorate.

Mastoiditis most commonly affects children. Before antibiotics, mastoiditis was one of the leading causes of death in children. Now it is a relatively uncommon and much less dangerous disorder.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:55:05 am »
 ces,
  Excellent news that you don't have accoustic neuroma.  Hopefully antibiotics will have you feling better soon.  Even though you don't have AN, stop  in a "talk" to us every once in a while.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:22:56 am »
You can never have too many friends!

I'm glad things worked out well and you got good news!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 01:14:02 pm »
I hope the antibiotics work and you're feeling better soon!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 03:26:35 pm »
Hi, ces:

Mastoiditis can be nasty and, from what I've read, difficult to treat effectively -  but it beats an acoustic neuroma, so I'm glad for you, in that respect.  Now, let me add my hopes, wishes and prayers for your speedy recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ces

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 04:35:18 pm »
To: mindyandy, Rob, Lori, Katie, Jim -

Thank you for your good wishes! And yes Jim, I've been doing some reading on it today and it sounds like it could take awhile for this to resolve, if it's been caught in time. I'm 57 and thought the hearing loss was just another sign of getting older.

I repeat - this is by far the most responsible forum I've ever been a member of and I am so very appreciative of your support. I will continue to check in and say hi.

Colleen
http://nhstuff.blogspot.com/