Author Topic: Vancouver BC radiation ?  (Read 3926 times)

Mikey

Vancouver BC radiation ?
« on: December 23, 2007, 06:38:44 pm »
   Hi  Everyone , I would like to hear from anyone that has been through the radiation treatment in Vancouver  Canada . I have an 8mm  left side AN. Some hearing loss,  am recovering my balance . I hope to have a second mri this spring to see if things have changed. It sounds like the cancer clinic in Vancouver has current equipement . Would like to hear about anyones experience with this facility.   As a side note,  If this little  #@%*&#   is figuring on setting up house in my head and feeding off of my brain he is going to starve to death !

sgerrard

Re: Vancouver BC radiation ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 03:45:15 pm »
Hi Mikey,

I can't say I have even been to Vancouver, Canada, let alone been to the clinic there. But I have heard that the variation in treatment quality for radiation facilities is not as broad as it can be for surgery. If the teams have a reasonable amount of experience in radiation treatment, and know how to use the equipment correctly, the results are very similar from one clinic to another. Do you know what kind of radiation treatment they do at that clinic?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Mikey

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 12:12:18 am »
 Hi Steve ,the BC  Cancer  site says they use  SRT  , stereotactic radiation therapy . Either in a single high dose or multiple smaller doses .I did read that they have a new mask rather than frame as restraint during treatment ?  I will email / phone them and ask for more specifics. The questions and answers on this site will give me a start .  Thanks , Mikey

candtlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
Mikey, that sounds like CyberKnife surgery. I may be wrong but I had a mask with my radiation therapy and it was ck. I have been told that ANs are a fairly "easy" procedure for the docs. I agree if they have been trained properly which I am assuming that they are.... you shoule be fine there :)  There is a CK board as well and the docs there are great. I bet they know of the faclitly that you are speaking of.... GL
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

okiesandy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:50:31 pm »
Dr. Clinton Medbery will be going to Vancouver BC soon to give a talk. Usually this is followed by the announcement that city will be getting CK or has just gotten it. By all means go on the CK forum and ask or look at the list. Medbery is my doctor and he is the easiest person in the world to talk to. Besides he is named repetedly as one of the nations top 100 doctors.
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

elise

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 03:54:22 pm »
think very SERIOUSLY about the FACT that GK treatment limits you to a surgical option only if the graoth continues some time in the future ( mine did ) and that GK treatment complicates later surgery tremendously

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:02:50 pm »
think very SERIOUSLY about the FACT that GK treatment limits you to a surgical option only if the graoth continues some time in the future ( mine did ) and that GK treatment complicates later surgery tremendously

Hi elise,

for the most part, you are correct. I do know of discussions from Dr. Noren in Providence of re-GK, if needed... yet, the success rate of most radio-treatments is over 95%, thus, the need really hasn't been there.  Unfortunately, you have had to endure and I'm sorry to hear that..... You are correct that there can be complications, as with any surgery, even if post radio-treatments.... there does seem to be discussions, however, even as recent as last summer's ANA Symposium in Philly of retreat by radio-treatments.  One reason many choose CK is due to the fact that it can be redone if needed.   Lightly touched upon, but yes, re-treat by radio- is not ruled out.

Please hang in there... I know you've had a tough time, but sending you wellness huggles....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:13:52 am »
I poked around a little and found that the San Diego Gamma Knife Center may also offer a retreatment option.  Here's a direct quote from their website:
"Reports of re-operation on individuals treated by Gamma Knife being more difficult or dangerous are unsubstantiated. Re-operation is quite rare and failure of control may be retreated by radiosurgery."
I've read that Dr. Steiner at UVA has also done some repeat GK, but not certain that was on AN.
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009