Author Topic: Gamma Knife for Facial Nerve Schwannoma on 12/19/07  (Read 2854 times)

JSC

Gamma Knife for Facial Nerve Schwannoma on 12/19/07
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:23:09 am »
Hello,
I was a new member on this forum a few years with user name  jan2 and then a month or so ago I couldn't log on so I had to change my user name, which is now jsc.
Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am happy to report my 21 y/o daughter, who was diagnosed with a 2cm facial nerve schwannoma in 2002 had Gamma Knife performed by Dr. Slattery and the GK team at Good Samaritan in Los Angeles on 12/19/07.  What an awesome team!  The experience was better than we ever imagined.  I realize it will take time for results, but for now things are great and we are very thankful to God for placing Dr. Slattery in our lives!
Jan

gordy

Re: Gamma Knife for Facial Nerve Schwannoma on 12/19/07
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:18:52 pm »
thats great jan,,congrats..hope she has a super recovery.

JSC

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:35:46 pm »
Thanks, Gordy.  I read some of your posts.  You must be about five months out from GK.  How are you doing?

We are just so grateful that GK was an option for us because five years ago we were told to watch and wait and once the facial nerve
schwannoma began to press on the brainstem or resulted in facial paralysis, surgery would be indicated.  With surgical removal of the
tumor, facial paralysis would result. 

Thankfully, time has been on our side and the medical community has learned that motor nerves are more resiliant than they thought previously and there has been a lot of success in radiatiing these types of tumors. 

God is good!

Happy New Year!

Jan

gordy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:09 am »
im doing fine. in a couple a weeks i go for my 6th monthg mri and some other tests so ill see how that goes. had some isues in treatment with the damn machine breaking before my treatments were able to be completed. they say i had enough zaps but i guess time will tell. have a great new year.

candtlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:48:48 pm »
That is wonderful..... hope that she continues to improve and sees some great results in the months to come..
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

JSC

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:18:39 pm »
Thanks, Cyndi!  Congratulations on conquering Space Mountain.