Author Topic: CBS New Story- "Failing the Disabled."  (Read 3897 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
CBS New Story- "Failing the Disabled."
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:43:14 pm »
Check this out!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/15/cbsnews_investigates/main3718129.shtml That's just the news story--you can find the video on the page somewhere.

I saw the second half of this tonight on Katie Coric on CBS--I missed the first part last night. I ended up in tears. As some of you know I live in NC, one of the 14 states that was highlighted as part of the "culture of rejection" in regards to paying out disability benefits.  I had my court hearing 10 1/2 months ago with my attorney and have heard nothing. The doctor that was supposed to be at the hearing didn't show up due to illness and didn't send a replacement.

You can watch the both parts of this video--heck, it may go on all week!

I have been struggling to try and get back to work for 5 years and I've been able to get up to about 1/8th speed, which barely pays my health insurance and meds.  This illness and the aftereffects of constant headaches have taken a huge financial toll on my family and completely changed our retirement plans.  You think the gov't could dole out a measly $600 a month and pick up a few doctor bills, never mind the meds, after I've paid into the system for the required amount of time.  I really feel like I've been failed big time!

Capt Deb >:(
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: CBS New Story- "Failing the Disabled."
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25:32 pm »
We'll watch it Captain-and we're pullin' for you!
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:10 pm »
I feel your pain! Thanks for sharing the link I have my nose glued to text books that I miss what is going on around me.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46:51 am »
Wow, I think you need a new doctor! I didn't think they had a choice in showing up!  Holy cow.  I'm glad I live in Texas.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and toes!! :)
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08:26 am »
Not my doctor at all, but the court doc. Really gummed up the works that little stunt!

Capt Deb 8)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:15:10 pm »
I saw the news report, made me angry.  This little buggar in our heads definetely messed up our life plans that's for sure.  My heart goes out to those of you who are awaiting SSD answers.  According to the report, the system is geared toword rejections with anticipation that most will not apeal the decision, those that will, have to fight real hard to get approved. The expect people will eventually give up.  Nice way for the gov't to take care of those that have paid in all their lives.

just curious,  do they look at the total family income for qualification or just the disabled persons loss of income?

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

trhoads

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 01:49:20 pm »
That is just absolutely terrible!!  They just don't understand what we go through after this surgery which is supposed to 'make us better.'  I am lucky enough to be able to fumble my way through work ( I am unable to do almost anything else, trying to recover from working), plus I completely understand the financial toll.  Our savings is gone!!  I am spending about $500 per month between massages, physical therapy, accupuncture--trying to treat the pain so that I can go to work.

Good luck with your hearing, and do not stop appealing!!!

Brendalu

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:52:04 pm »
Patti,
Family income has nothing to do with it.  They go by your work record and what you did prior and what you can do now.  They don't care if you can find a job, they just want to make sure you can do it.  In my case, everything I had done for the past forty years, I can no longer do because it takes concentration, balance, stamina................all of the things I no longer have.  I don't know what the formula is for deciding what you get but it is about the same as you would get when you retire, maybe a little bit more.  Fortunately, I made really good money the last several years I worked.  Of course what I get from SSD doesn't come close to what I made, but it makes me feel like I am contributing and it pays for my meds, my hair, my feet, things that I wouldn't want to have to ask my husband for.  I never had to ask anyone for anything before so not paying "my share" really hurt my pride.  When they decide that you are disabled they decide when you became disabled.  For me that was several months before my surgery.  I was one of the lucky ones.  If losing your hearing, balance etc and these headaches is lucky.  I hope that helps to answer your question.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 04:22:26 pm »
Well Capt. Deb, like I've said before,  I see ALOT of folks down here in Miami on SSD - they certainly aren't handicapped - not when they're using the $ to buy drugs;
& unfortunately HIPPA laws prevents me from squeelling on them.   I see it practically everyday.
Too bad you can't ask them who they bribed to get it.    It's really a sin down here the way it's abused, yet people who've WORKED all their lives
& truly deserve it are being turned down.....    So much waste of SSD down here in Miami.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17:32 pm »
Capt Deb~
I am thankful for so much in my life (just the fact that I have one!), but after reading yours and others struggles w/ SSD, I am truly thankful that I do not have to deal with that (YET???) and that I do not have headaches anymore!  I am not just saying that -- it has really been an eye opener for me.  Sometimes I think I am still just young and naive...then reality sets in and I realize I am not as young as I think I am anymore!!  Seriously, I was so young when I had my surgery and took so much for granted.  I'm sorry that you are having such a battle, but thank you for sharing so people like me can value how good I have it.
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:01:11 pm »
Thank you Captain Deb.  I just can not believe the horror stories just like many of you have and are still going through.  Know that I am praying for each of you!  Kisses to you foreheads.   :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

goinbatty

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 08:46:06 am »
I truly feel for you.  I've had patients in the past that ended up having to hire a lawyer to fight the system for them.  Because the system has been abused by many over the years, it makes it tougher for those that truly need it to get it approved. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:52:17 am »
Capt Deb,

It is very hard to live with the chronic pain to say the least but the existing disability system just makes it downright impossible! I hope you have resolution to your headaches SOON so you don't need the disbility!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »
Actually they do take into account your total family income--I didn't qualify for a part of the disability program because my husband's income was above the line.  However I paid into the system for a good part of my lifetime since 1967 (with a few years off for sailing around the Carribean as a vagabond sailboat captain--sorry about that IRS!) And I do have a lawyer.  I'd actually be happy with a settlement for the 3 1/2 years I spent bed-ridden with the worst of the headaches.  Right now I'm caught up in the web of working to pay for the meds that allow me to work to pay for the meds that allow me to work to pay for the meds.....you get it...........

Capt Deb

Brendalu

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »
Isn't the part of the system you didn't qualify for, the SSI, which you can get until your hearing or until your case is decided, whichever comes first?  Or at least you can in Texas.  I didn't qualify for that either.  They even take into account your burial plots, if you have any!!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT