Author Topic: My results are in.  (Read 7033 times)

jw

My results are in.
« on: October 31, 2005, 08:24:29 am »
Dear John:

On behalf of the Acoustic Neuroma Society, I regret to inform you that your application for membership has been DENIED.  The MRI showed both the cerebellopontine (sp?) angle, the inner and outer ear and the 7th and 8th cranial nerves.  No problems were identifed.  We did notice, however, a very small brain with underdeveloped capacity.  That may explain how wierd you are.  We also regret to inform you that our offer for the chair in the lobby has been revoked.  You may visit us, but please just sit quietly in the corner.

DENIED
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

shoegirl

Re: My results are in.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 08:38:34 am »
JW,

Happy to  hear that your membership was denied!  Are you available for weddings and holiday parties?  Thanks for all the laughs!

Suzanne  :D
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

matti

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:03:29 am »
John - You must be soooo relieved. I am sure you have had a few sleepless nights recently, but make it one more and go out and celebrate. Now, about your membership...I vote you stay and you may NOT sit quietly in the corner.

Thanks for the wonderful news and have a great day!
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

SVTCobra

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 10:09:04 am »
John, that's awesome news!  It sounds like your outcome and mine were about the same.  You might want to look into Meniere's Disease (vestibular hydrops) as the cause of your symptoms.  I had an ECOG test that confirmed it for me. 

My low sodium diet has finally started to make a difference, and my symptoms are better as long as I stick to the regimen.  My doctor has me on Dyazide and Niacin which have also helped.

If your doctor does feel it is Meniere's there is a great web board at http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php which is just as helpful as the great folks here...

kristin

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 08:37:20 pm »
yahoooo! i'm happy for you john! although i'm bummed you won't be hangin' around here anymore! but really...that's pretty selfish of me! thanks for brightening up our octobers.

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

jw

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 09:14:50 pm »
Hi, everyone.  Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words.  I really do appreciate it.  I also want to thank you for the information and support you've given me over the last little while.  In hindsight, part of me thinks "why did you get yourself so worried about this?", but on the other hand, when the doctor says you may have a brain tumor, what do you expect?

I have learned a lot about my brain, hearing, etc.  More than I thought I would be learning.  It's been a very educational experience for me!

I think most of all, I have a great deal of respect for everyone here.  I know only a very small portion of the AN journey - the fear that you may have it.  None of you were afforded the opportunity to hear that your MRIs were normal.  I can remember a cartoon saying "I know that life isn't fair, but why isn't it unfair in my advantage?"  I guess in this instance life isn't fair but to my advantage.  Each of you have been through so much, and had so much to deal with.  I'm very proud of everything that each of you have accomplished.  I never gave a thought to waking up in the morning and becoming exstatic that I could put my pants on, or that I could smile in the mirror.  I never thought about having to tape my eye shut at night, or not being able to blink it, and having to constantly put eye drops and lotion to keep it moist.  I never considered having my mouth become partially paralyzed, so that I had to drink from a straw.  And not knowing when or if it would go back to 'normal'.  There's so much that I take for granted each day, that you only wish for.  I didn't really give it much thought when I I thought that I might be going through that as well.  You, my friends, are a true source of inspiration and of hope.  I stand in awe of each of your accomplishments and your troubles and the daily struggle to return to what I take for granted.  While I've had a difficult summer with my wife's BC, I think that only gives me a real appreciation for the real difficulties that each of you face.  Don't give up hope!  You're a true inspiration to others - those who are newly diagnosed with AN, and the rest of us who whine & complain about the little things that don't matter at all.  Those of use who have nothing to complain about, and don't know what hardship & adversity is!

I hope to hang around here.  I don't want to say 'goodbye'.  I'm not sure what I can offer to you, or to the new people who continue to stream into the forum carrying their baggage of worries and MRIs.  But I like everyone here.  You're a great group of people!

And while I'm talking about it, I can tell you my story from today.

I went in to the doctor's office this morning right at opening time.  The nurse says "I got your MRI back and it's normal".  I told her that the MRI lab had called me on Friday and said they must have faxed the report to her this morning.  She says she got the report Friday in the mail.  (That means it must have been mailed on Wednesday?)  Boy, that could have saved me a week of worrying, had she called me on Friday.

My biggest fear was that they missed it.  She said that she knew I wouldn't believe her, and handed me the report.  Note that the doctor didn't get any copies of the MRI, just a 1-page typed report.  On it the radiologist says that he was able to look at the inner and outer ear, the cerebellopontine (sp?) angle and found nothing problematic.  He also says that he could visualize the 7th and 8th cranial nerves and that there were no growths on them.  I guess that makes it pretty clear.  If he saw the actual nerves, then there musn't be AN.  I feel much better about that.  I guess that I'm done with this now.  Your thoughts?

I've also had a ton of emails and postings wishing me well (thank you), and expressing regrets that my problem hasn't been solved.  With any medical condition, though, what is the biggest fear?  A tumor, either malignant or benign.  I know that it isn't the case, so whatever is wrong has to be much better than that!  Sure, my rt hearing is fading quickly, with the tinnitus raising up to the former levels of hearing.  I'll have to persue that.  Perhaps my headaches are caused by my blurry rt eye?  Maybe I just need glasses?  Maybe there's an infection in there that is affecting everything?  But, I've ruled out the worst possibility.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:53:11 pm »
John,
I praise God for your good report!!! I hope you soon have some answers. You have really been a blessing so hang around awhile and keep in touch.
Take care,
Lynn

jw

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 09:59:18 pm »
After reading the actual MRI report, I think I have some concerns.  I'm not saying that they made a mistake on the report, but - well, it just doesn't sit right with me.
My concerns come from the way that the report was written.  It listed several points that I'm not sure lend credibility to the report:

(1) The patient was suspected of having one of those rare ear things that grow wild-like.
(2) The inner ear looked normal, except for a bunch of tiny bone-like stuff inside.  Also, there was something that kind of looked like a snail.  Perhaps he got water in his ear when swimmin at the waterin hole?
(3) There were lots of curly-like roundish things that I think were his brains.  They were all over, though, but I've seen somthing like that in a textbook.
(4) That big thingy that hooks into the spiny cord and into the Bellum girl (Sarah Bellum?) seemed kinda black on the picture, but then so did everything else.  We need one of them color MRI cameras.  My cousin has a color camera and it sure takes clear pictures!
(5) Nothing too strange was seen on the picture, but then there's lots of strange things in these pictures for sure.  I didn't see any sign of a wild growing fat thing near his ear or comin out of it.  Looks ok!  Cousin Bill agrees.

Is this what your MRI report sounded like?  Was yours written on the back of the cafeteria tray liner?  I guess I shouldn't have used that budget MRI lab.  I knew it!  When they asked me how you boot the 'contraption', I thought that I was in for trouble.  And the fact they made me wear a cone of duct tape on my head just didn't sit right with me.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 11:49:22 am »
John,

In all our correspondance, I forgot to tell you how I was informed of my MRI results. 

First, the report was given via smoke signals - you know, blanket over a campfire kind of thing.

2.5cm....  growth.... seen... in... carrotbell.... angle... probable... acoustic... neuroma... (amazing how accurate those smoke signals can be?  Who knew they had smoke for 'neuroma'?)

Then, so I could see for myself, they broadcast my MRI films on a cloudy night, a la the Bat signal for Batman.

By the way, a 3cm (it was remeasured) AN, beamed onto some low cumulus clouds 4,000 feet high, looks extremely large.  Like they should take it out using the 'translab-backhoe' method.

Thanks, as always, for the laughs!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

steph

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 01:41:38 pm »
Hi john, this is first time I have had the pleasure of really reading your entries and I can't remember the last time I have been so torn between laughter and tears. You wrote some beautiful things and I just want to say thank you. I am going to print what you wrote and keep it. Thank you for writing such a tribute to all of us. Congratulations on your results I wish you and your wife the best. Your friends and family are lucky to have you  :)

kristin

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 07:49:48 pm »
ha ha ha! you continue to just crack me up!! dx'd w/ a 0 cm AN, huh?

thank you too for YOUR kind words. made me feel all gooey inside. :)

kristin

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

jw

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 08:49:28 pm »
(amazing how accurate those smoke signals can be?  Who knew they had smoke for 'neuroma'?)

Josh,

It's actually words which put together mean the same.  They used "unknown odour".  That's the phrase.

It translates (roughly) to "new aroma".  See, "acoustic new aroma".

You can also use smoke signals because of the dry, warm air in the desert.  In the Canadian winter (starts September 22nd), we can't do that.  The smoke rises several feet, freezes, and falls as black snow.
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 12:48:29 pm »
 :D John you never cease to amaze me. You had me crying one minute and laughing the next. I vote we start a thread called "The John and Josh Show" for those of us that love the way you two play off of each other. Comic relief is a wonderous thang!!!

Oh...I bout forgot to congratulate you on the great MRI report. So happy for you and your loved ones that you recieved good news!!! Please keep coming back. :D
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

JHager

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 05:53:30 pm »
Yes, that's right - it's the John and Josh show.  John is the funny one, I play the straight man.  Or, he can be the Canadian.  Eh.

My surgery is soon, and I'm feeling a little nervous, but there's still humor to be found:

1) On the TV show 'House' last night, they gave a patient a potential diagnosis of 'acoustic neuroma'.  Get it?  An acoustic neurom on House?

2) I got my list of pre-op instruction today, which specifically forbid me from eating/drinking starting at midnight the night before surgery.  While I'll probably knock off eating that afternoon, you may rest assured I will have one last drink before bed!

3) Another kind thing on the post-op sheet is this missive: "Hey, we're going to put a 6 to 8 inch incision in your head, drill a hole through your skull, cut through the dura to expose the brain, remove the ear structures (translab approach), and remove the tumor.  Afterwards (get this) 'you may experience some discomfort'.  This is probably like telling a pregnant woman 'your c-section scar may be tender afterwards.'  Well, duh!

4) Finally, I got an e-mail from a parent of one of my students.  She wants to know if her daughter's grade will suffer in my absence.  Because of the mood I'm in, I wrote back: "Probably not nearly as much as my head."   ;D

Have a good night!

Josh

3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

SVTCobra

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 06:22:19 pm »
Hey John, I sent you a PM back... check your inbox.  :)