Author Topic: Taylor update-Surgery tomorrow  (Read 5400 times)

TaylorsMom

Taylor update-Surgery tomorrow
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:00:44 am »
Hi everyone!!!

We have been sooooo busy I haven't had time to get on here lately.  We started house hunting in August and after a couple delays finally moved the week of Thanksgiving.  We're still in the St Louis area, just about 20 minutes from where we were, and 15 minutes closer to the hospital.  I finally got my finished basement.  Taylor has lots of room for her stuff.  We kept our old house and will be renting it out.  I put 10 gallons of paint on walls between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we had new flooring put in and I cleaned everywhere.  At least all the holiday goodies didn't go straight to my butt this year, but talk about feeling overwealmed!!! Still have lots of organizing to do at the new house and we've vowed to stop being such pack rats. 

To top it off Taylor was supposed to have the muscle graft in her cheek right before we moved.  That had to be postponed at the last minute because she developed an abcess in her upper thigh.  It started as a bruise and infection got in.  She had a 102 fever the day they drained it.  The doctor told her "Honey, we can do this here in the office, but it's going to hurt a lot."  She said, "No way, you're going to knock me out."  They did, and he said later she was smart to have insisted on that as it was deeper and nastier than it looked.

For those of you that don't know, Taylor is 19 and her 4.8 cm tumor was found almost 2 years ago.  Surgery left her with right-sided facial paralysis, right-side deafness, drunken-sailor walk, coordination problems (handwriting), and tingling on her entire left side from her neck to her toes.  She has since had eye muscle surgery and the first part of the facial reanimation surgery.  Last February, they took a nerve out of her lower leg and grafted it in to a nerve in the good side of her face, ran it under her nose, and stopped it in her right cheek.  That seems to have taken.  You can tap on her cheek on the bad side and she will feel it on the good side.  Now comes the second part.  They will take a muscle from her upper thigh, graft that into her right cheek and hook the grafted nerve to it.  They say it will take around 6 months to start working and will give her a more symetrical smile.  Not perfect, but better.  She is so self-concious now, we hope this makes the difference and gives her the confidence she needs.  The surgery is tommorow, Thursday Jan. 24.  We will be there (Children's Hospital-St Louis)  until probably next Tuesday.  He wants to keep her there a few days just to make sure.  You are all such great people here, I know you'll keep us in your thoughts and prayers.   I think she is dreading the boredom of the hospital more than the surgery itself.  Her tumor surgery was a 5 week stay.  She had to learn to walk again.

One more bit of news.  After 1 year, 2 denials, and 1 lawyer, she was finally appoved for SSI.  She started getting checks in November.  A whopping $424.67 a month.  Better than nothing but she wants more.  If she lived on her own or with roommates she would get $637.00.  Can anyone live on that?  I know she couldn't.  She is planning to go back to college in the fall and figure out what she wants and can do. 

That's all for now.  I'll let you know how she's doing as soon as I can.

Kathy

jerseygirl

Re: Taylor update-Surgery tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:47 am »
Kathy,

Best of luck with Taylor's surgery tomorrow and congrats on moving!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:39 am »
Kathy,

Tell Taylor we are thinking about her and hoping for a quick and not too boring stay in the hospital.  Sounds like she's been through a lot.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:35:06 pm »
Kathy~
I will definitely be lifting her up in prayer!!  It is a lot to go through when you are young, but so much better recovery rate than when you are older.  I know (trust me, I know) it is so hard to look at it that way now, but coming from the other side (12 yrs. out) you can see it.
Good luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:45:31 pm »
Hi Kathy and Taylor!
A hearty AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR to the both of ya!!!!  Will have me pirate sox on for young Taylor for her surgery and will be sending out  good vibes, prayers, and positive thoughts as well. It was so great to meet up with you all in Philly.

Big hugs and major forehead kisses to you both!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

OMG16

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 01:30:28 pm »
Hi Kathy let Taylor know that I wish her well and give her kisses to her forehead. :-*

I was reading your previous posts and was wondering if Taylor still needs someone to talk to?  My son was 16 when he had surgery and has all the same issues as your daughter other than hearing loss.  He is also 19 and on SSI he spent 5 weeks in rehab learning to walk, sit up, swallow to name a few.  It sounds like they would be great support for each other.  Send me a PM if Taylor is interested and then I will talk to my son.  We have been trying for 3 years to find someone his own age that has been through the same experience as him.  I am so thankful that you posted today.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 02:15:13 pm »
I'll be thinking of Taylor and your family also, and I hope she can get through another session in the hospital.  Books? Games? Ipod? laptop?  TV?   I'm sure it will be over sooner than she thinks it will be.  Hang in there Taylor!!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:09 pm »
  Go Taylor!
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 02:43:03 pm »
Hey Kathy, what a time you all have had! Is it already 2 yrs since Taylor's initial surgery?   :o  wow!

Well, I see the forehead kisses are all covered but you all know me and my huggles... so, to Taylor.... to you, Kathy... to you all....

HUGGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can do it Taylor! Hang tough and let's rawk! ;)

xooxox
Phyl, CB and Beanie, the healing "toot" Queenie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 04:03:25 pm »
Hugs to Taylor and lots of wet slobbery doggie kisses to help her feel better after her surgery tomorrow!  It was great meeting you two in Philly last July, you are both wonderful people!  Feel better soon Taylor!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 04:33:43 pm »
Hi there Kathy:  Good to hear from you.    Boy you guys have certainly been busy.   Please give Taylor my best & will be thinking of her & sending out
positive thoughts for tomorrow's surgery.    She certainly deserves a happy future, as do you.
I'm so glad to hear the nerve graft took, now the muscle part...   will keep her in my prayers.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 06:37:52 pm »
Here's hoping that Taylor's surgery goes well tomorrow and she's on the fast track to a speedy recovery.

I'll keep her in my prayers.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:21:02 pm »
GO TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, hard to believe it's been almost 2 years.  Thoughts and prayers out to you.    All us "older folks" :o) will  be thinking of you tomorrow Taylor.   You too mom, sitting in the waiting room is probably harder than it is for us patients

Patti Ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

chelsmom

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:14 pm »
Hi Kathy and Taylor,

I'll be thinking of you and sending out good thoughts and special prayers for you all.  I'll let Chelsea know what's going on in case she doesn't know.  Think positive thoughts and know this is going to put a big smile on your face when you recover.  Congrats on the new house. 

With all my best.....Michelle

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 10:38:47 pm »
Taylor,

All sporting functions are stopping, Pubs are closing, companies have announced a day off and I have told the Australian papers to "hold the front page". message to read -

We are all thinking of you Taylor, lots a luv from down under.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz