Author Topic: Doing a Survey - How many of you have had to pay for copies of MRI's?  (Read 8312 times)

Sheryl

Hubby and I both have benign brain tumors - he had surgery on meningioma in '04 and now has had CK on regrowth on 10/1/07.  I am a six-year wait and watcher for 9th cranial nerve schwannoma.  So, we both have the need to keep copies of our MRI's which are done yearly and sometimes more often for him.  This is especially important since we travel between Florida and Massachusetts twice a year.  Well, imagine my surprise when for the very first time, I was asked for $9.45 per MRI CD copy here in Florida.  As a courtesy they would send a copy to a doctor without charge but none would be given to us as patients even to bring to a doctor.  We have dealt with large teaching hospitals in Boston, an independent radiology company, and a small community hospital on Cape Cod and NEVER have been asked for money.  In fact, we are asked how many we need and since we were out of state, copies were sent FEDEX overnight to us without asking and no charge from Cape Cod.  They are making tons of money on these tests - maybe I should volunteer to bring in two blank CD's!!! >:(
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Doing a Survey - How many of you have had to pay for copies of MRI's?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:29:22 pm »
hey you snowbirds! Send the warmth, will ya? :)

I had one place (private MRI centre) locally try to charge me to hand me the MRI CD.... they said they had no issues giving me the films, but as for the CD, they would have to charge me... I basically gave them a piece of my mind (well, you have met me...so you know it wasn't pretty!) and to this day, regardless of where my MRI's are done (remember, I get volume discount with all of my 'whoas'), I have never paid for an MRI CD.

Tell them to.... well, you know... and stand your ground. That is ridiculous, IMO. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:42:43 pm »
I have had MRI's all over Texas and never had to pay -- I did have them threaten that I would if I did not return them, but no follow through.  I have my whole room wallpapered in them (not really, they are in the top of my closet)!!!  Thankfully, I haven't had to have one in a few years, so I don't even know about CD's!!  :o)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:02:18 pm »
Pay for medical records - yes: $1.00/page.  Pay for MRI CD - no;  both Univ. of Miami.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Static

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:29 pm »
Nancy,
Unless your medical records are a very small file, you should be charged a flat fee of around $25.00.  If it's for a disability case, you should get them through your lawyer and not be charged at all.  I know the laws vary from state to state but that is pretty much the norm for most states.  I used to work for a place that provided that kind of service.  It still annoys me that anyone should have to pay at all for copies of their medical records.  The only way to get around it is that each time you go to your doctor and he writes notes, to ask for a copy of the notes from that visit, and each time there is a test, get a hard copy of the results and keep a file for yourself.  Most doctors office staffs don't make the copies of the charts themselves, but hire a service to come in and copy the chart, then the service processes BS paperwork and sends out the copy of the chart to you after you have paid the fee.   ::)
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:02:51 pm »
Hi Karen:  I was pretty surprised too when I was told $1.00/page - I just wanted to see the OR report - it wasn't that many pages, maybe 3 or 4. 
I was equally surprised when I asked for my last MRI CD + the radiologists report be mailed to my home & they didn't charge a penny.   Go figure.
Years ago it didn't cost anything, boy, "The times they are a'changin'" (Bob Dylan).......
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:55:21 pm »
I only requested one copy of my MRI films from the hospital where the test was done.  I received them free of charge.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sheryl

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:40 pm »
UPDATE - Received an answer to a letter I wrote to the President of the hospital - he basically "passed the buck" to his Customer Service Department.  Their answer - "If your physician requests a copy by fax, there is no charge.  Lee Memorial Health System is the largest Public Not for Profit Health System in the state of Florida that is not tax supported.  Our healthcare charges are mandated by our publicly elected board to be among the lowest in the nation.  So our fiscal responsibility is paramount and we do not have the luxury of being able to offer that free service at this time."  Will probably reply as I like to have "the last word"!!  I actually was requesting the copy myself to add to other medical records so everything could go in one package to Dr. Chang in California for a "no charge" consult and they wouldn't honor that. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

OMG16

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:29 pm »
While getting 2nd and 3rd opinions on my son they requested the actual films so I went to the hospital and signed a release and to my surprise they told me it would be $12 for each film but that they could make a CD for no charge.  Well I just about had a heart attack and just stood there and cried and told them it was for a 2nd opinion and that the Dr wanted the actual films.  The girl went back and spoke with someone and came back and told me that it would be free of charge since it was for another Dr.  I never did understand why we would be charged for a copy of our own records.  Like all of you know it is important to have copies of everything.

We were not charged for records for his Social Security.  We were charged about $4500.00 for about 1.5years of his medical records from all of the hospitals and Drs he saw 3 months before surgery and for a year after.  These were requested by his lawyer and the cost is pasted on to the consumer.  Hope this helps.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

tdworkin

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:58 pm »
My 2 cents- my hospital gave me the floopy MRI and one on a CD that I was going to mail to the dr. I politely asked for a second one as insurance against the USPS. The folks were very obliging. My husband copied the disk- many times, as I have gave then to each of the four physicians I saw. Copying CDs is easy and CDS are easier to handle. All my drs. used them instead of the BIG floppy films. Perhaps this would be beneficial idea for you and your husband to keep costs and storage space to a minimum.
Good health to you both.
T

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 09:21:19 am »
the orginal MRI. (that started this whole mess) .. I did have to pay for copies, since then all the follow up MRI they just let me keep em...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 12:50:26 pm »
I just had my one year MRI today and I wasn't charged for the CD.  They actually gave it to me and asked me to bring it to my doctor.  And I was all geared up to take Phyll's advice and give 'em what for.  Maybe I should have charged THEM for having to deliver the CD to my doctor myself.... hmmm...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sheryl

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 01:41:45 pm »
T - thanks for the info about copying.  We actually thought of that but thought there would be a copyright or lock on the hospital's MRI CD.  Also, does quality diminish from one copy to the next?  Our wonderful neurologist's nurse ordered a copy through their office for us (free) and we picked it up today.  Also, my brother is a physician, and he requested one too (last name is different) so there are more ways than one to skin a cat!!!
Sheryl

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 02:49:01 pm »
Lori~
I definitely think  that you should have charged a delivery fee!!  I want to make a buck any way I can!!  Hope everything is looking good on the MRI!

Sheryl~
Way to get creative and have your bro get a copy!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:43 pm »
I've never had to pay for my MRI films.  The first time I had to pick them up and bring them with me to the doctor four hours away.  The next time they mailed them.  The last time my doctor asked me to bring them with me.  He gave them back to me when the appointment was over.  I didn't feel like keeping them so I gave them to my students.  I thought it was good proof that I do have a brain.  lol 
Now if I can just get the insurance company to pay for the last MRI!  It's been almost a year now.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD