Author Topic: Doing a Survey - How many of you have had to pay for copies of MRI's?  (Read 8313 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: Doing a Survey - How many of you have had to pay for copies of MRI's?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 09:31:35 pm »
They gave me a copy for free. And also sent a copy to my surgeons for free.

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 01:54:24 am »
I received a written report and CD of my two MRIs and my CT scan.  No charge.  In Ont Canada we have OHIP (Ont Hospital Insurance Plan).  Dr appointments, all diagnostic, hospital visits and operations are at no cost.  Mind you we pay a small health tax and so does our employer.  All med's for seniors are covered minus the 1st $200 deductible. 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 11:58:24 am »
If Global Warming ever causes Canada to become warm and sunny - I'm going there.  Not having to deal with all this insurance nonsense would probably solve everyone's headaches!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

goinbatty

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 01:42:27 pm »
After my first MRI, I probably ended up getting at least 4 copies of the disk mainly for out of town/state consults.  I also got the actual films for one neurosurgeon who preferred this over the disk.  I wasn't charged for copies.  Just went by and picked them up and mailed them myself.  After getting the disk copied the final time before deciding on where to receive treatment, I thanked them greatly for their patience.  That's when I was told that they were supposed to be charging $15/copy but they typically didn't do it.  Thank goodness. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Sheryl

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 01:56:11 pm »
Interesting responses - figured that most copies were given without charge.  I was going to pursue their response with another of my own but "you can't fight city hall" and, as mentioned in previous post, I was able to get two copies and, if needed, will try to burn my own from one of them. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Static

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 07:01:06 am »
The medical world is getting to be such a racket any more.  It's bad enough that we, as patients, have to pay for our medical records.  They are considered the property of the doctor who wrote/made them, even though they contain our personal information.  As long as I have gone to the hospital for my  MRI's, I have never been charged for copies of the films.  I also went for a copy of the report, at a later date, because they had not faxed it to the right doctor (can you imagine them faxing it to all the extra doctors I requested, but not the requesting doctor, i.e. the doctor who wrote the script for the test).  I had, at one time, gone to an imaging place who did tell me that if I lost the films, I would be charged for a 2nd copy, but they told me that up front.  Once they start charging us for these films after they do them, is the day I will have to just hit someone and just take them because that is just freakin ridiculous.  Isn't that the whole point in having insurance?  They are already getting paid by the insurance company for the test, now they want to be paid for the films/cd separately?  I would think that is part of the entire charge.  Just my thoughts.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

DistressedDB

• Deb's site
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:12 pm »
Boy, am I glad I looked at this thread!  I need to get copies of my MRI and my report to send to the original radio-oncologist who did my CK - same story - I need to fill out a 3 page form requesting the information, I need to pay $25 in ADVANCE for a CD and I have to pay some amount (undisclosed) IN ADVANCE for copy of my report...

I don't know, but I think I paid a big bill to them already?!?!?!?!  I gather from this thread that if it's a request from a requesting Doctor, then there is no charge...I'm going to try this...

Thanks for the info...you all just might have saved me $35 - $40...think I'll go out and celebrate (plus it's my birthday today)!!  :D
1.5cm X .09 cm - CyberKnife November 2005
April MRI shows small growth of 1.5 cm X 1.0 cm

Sheryl

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:26 pm »
HAPPY AND HEALTHY BIRTHDAY WITH MANY MORE TO COME ;D

As to the money you saved, I'll take 10%!!!  LOL
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 04:27:17 pm »
I've never had to pay for a film or CD, of an MRI. 

At this point, over 18 months post-op, I don't even ask for a copy of the MRI scan as my doctor looks at it with me on his computer and I see no need to have a copy.  However, my wife has had numerous surgeries and occasionally needs an MRI, most recently on her knee.  See always wants a copy (CD).  No charge.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 10:48:57 am »
Sheryl,

Update, I had my head MRI last weekend and quizzed them about charging for MRI's images (the group I use is touted as the "official MRI Center to the NE Patriots", in case you want to check out who I am referencing).  Anyway, they told me that films are for free, as well as 1 CD... but if a 2nd CD is requested (I have to do 2 as I have 2 teams, as you know, following my AN/Chiari situation), they typically charge for the 2nd CD, but since ALL my yearly MRI (too many in one year to count due to my loverly trifecta of ailments) pays their annual salary, they don't charge me....  I've talked them out of it.  I have faith in you all to have the MRI centers "see the light" so they don't charge you... stand your ground!   :)

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JeWeL41

• Science teacher, married mum of 3, happy,bit deaf!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 11:07:08 am »
In the UK patients on the NHS have only just been given the right to have copies of their medical records and any test reports that have been done. BUT.... you have to use a service linked to the NHS and fill in a lengthy application form with a fee, I forget what the maximum amount is but I had to pay 37.50 POUNDS STERLING and I waited several weeks to receive my records and scan CD. Most UK patients don't know that you can do this and just accept that we do not see our x-rays, scans, letters, reports or anything about us. Also, because I was signed off by my consultant I will have to apply and pay and wait again.

The NHS is great because it is available to all and usually if you are in imminent danger of death it will save you. But for cases like mine it is maddening, frustrating and not effective.
Sudden hearing loss Nov 2006 (left), tinnitus, fullness,imbalance, left side headaches and strange sensation on that side of face - but not AN!
Diagnosis - SSHL. Bouts of spinning vertigo now!
Saw Prof Ramsden (April 08) and it may be Atypical Menieres with Migraine Syndrome!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 11:19:53 am »
37.50 GBP/Sterling? OMG! Unbelievable! That's an aweful lot to pay!!!

I had first hand experience with NHS and local A&E (to Camden area) when I was there a few yrs back.  NHS can be exceptionally good in situations.  Even as a foreigner, who has private healthcare here in the States, I asked for the "financial" office to pay the bill for my A&E visit... and even as a non-UK resident, there was no bill to be paid. Was nice, indeed, for me at the time.

(BTW, saw the news about Camden/Camden Canal Markets last night on BBC... I am heart broken... have spent much time there and have very fond memories)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:50 pm »
I did a quick check on the current U.S.-U.K. exchange rate and unless I got it wrong, 37.5 pounds sterling converts to $73.00 U.S.  That is, indeed, absurd. 

When I think of socialized medicine, as in Europe, I regret the current public mania for making a lack of perfection in our health care system the excuse to devolve into what will likely be a mediocre system, at best.  Well at least 'everyone will be covered'.  When public clamor, media scare stories and politician's inherent penchant for meddling finally bring us the 'universal' health care system some demand we have 'for the children', we'll see our current system, although admittedly imperfect and occasionally exasperating, for the pretty good system it is/was.  Too late, then.  $73. for a CD of an MRI?  I can't wait.   >:(

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JeWeL41

• Science teacher, married mum of 3, happy,bit deaf!
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 04:15:48 pm »
Hi, to clarify, the 37.50 GBP was also for all notes, letters etc sent from ENT to GP etc during the course of my investigation which comprised two days in hospital, 3 visits to the ENT and the MRI.

We do have a mediocre system and , no offence, but is it any wonder when anyone can land on our shores and be treated completely free of charge for any ailment?
Sudden hearing loss Nov 2006 (left), tinnitus, fullness,imbalance, left side headaches and strange sensation on that side of face - but not AN!
Diagnosis - SSHL. Bouts of spinning vertigo now!
Saw Prof Ramsden (April 08) and it may be Atypical Menieres with Migraine Syndrome!

Sheryl

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 08:05:01 pm »
WOW - look what I started  :o 

Jim, I agree with you 100% and hopefully, being 61 will be able to enjoy Medicare in four years as long as the politicians don't meddle in that too much.
Sheryl