Author Topic: quick one  (Read 7543 times)

Kaybo

Re: quick one
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 12:04:30 pm »
OK...so I am just a dumb, naive blond, but what I THINK is done at Mardi Gras is something about women baring their chests and each time they do it, they get another strand of beds to wear.  Is that right?  I always thought that they just threw out beads off the parade floats -- that is how I actually got my beads.  One of my students went to a Mardi Gras parade and brought them back to me!  Hopefully she wasn't showing her chest since she was only in 3rd grade!!!!!!!  :o)
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lorenzo

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 12:51:07 pm »
ah... right. hence the word 'gras'. ok. :)

Thanks for that explanation. Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

lori67

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:01 pm »
K  - sounds like you're not quite as naive as you once thought!  And Lorenzo, if you can't make it to Mardi Gras, they do the same thing on St.Patrick's Day in Savannah, Georgia.

And as luck would have it, no sooner do I agree to take up the slack by being the official espresso drinker - than the espresso maker decides to die!  I turned around to find a waterfall of hot water onto my counter this morning and not a drop of anything drinkable in the pot!  I guess I'll have to jumpstart my day with plain old coffee until my husband can fix it.  At least there's a Starbuck's down the street - nothing like shelling out $5 for a cup of coffee.  geez....

Lori >:( (this is me before morning coffee..)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 02:13:01 pm »
better only be espresso coffee "beads" being tossed around here! ;)

*runs in, gives Lorenzo BIG HUGGLE from the whirly girly of the best coast*

You've been missed, you "bloke"... Skype sometime?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:49 pm »
Nancy,
Thanks for the explanation, I really don't know that much about drugs considering all the junk I've taken over the years!  It's funny, but a few months ago I refused going on BP meds for another condition called "raynauds" which is partly why I am so cold all the time.  My guess would be that those bp meds would increase my bp tho, in order to get the blood flowing to my hands and feet more.  My hands and feet are always cold, even in warmer weather.  It's not warm enough for me unless it's about 70.  All winter long I keep saying I should have been a bear so I can hibernate until spring!  Then again, I do like the idea of a prescription for a vacation for #1 the stress; and #2 to get away from the cold!  Who wants to come?? 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:56 pm »
Lorenzo,

You do realize espresso has less caffeine than regular coffee, because of the steamed process.  My husband has high BP, he takes meds and he still drinks espresso.  Moderation my dear friend.  I wish you much luck as you walk down this road.  I can give up sweets, pasta, but not my espresso.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Lorenzo

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:12 am »
Tossing beads on Paddy's Day?? he would be SHOCKED! Such profane activity on a Saint's day!  lol :)  I think they should introduce that here. Eevn better, bring you lot out for the national parade in Dublin then you can do a demo.

Hi Anne Marie, I know, espresso has 1/3 of the caffeine of normal coffee, mainly because it goes through the grinds quickly and also because it's arabica, which is lower than Robusta coffee which is normally used for instant and lesser coffees. Moderation, yes. I just wanted to try and see if it made a difference. I mostly drank decaf anyway, so no great change at all if any. What I will stop is the espressi out at coffee bars unless I can get a decaf. At home I can control that, out it's not easy.

Karen, the meds I'm on work by dilating the blood vessels to facilitate the blood flow, therefore lowering the pressure. Might well work for Reynauds? Now, where exactly ddi you have in mind for that vacation?

Phyl, skype sometime soon. I'll see you, you 'lass'

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 05:49:21 am »
Lorenzo,
Send me your address and I will send you some green beads for St Paddy's Day.  I got lots!!!!!

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lorenzo

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 06:05:58 am »
Brenda,
The beads are not the problem, it's the recipients that are, sort of lacking in bare chested woman on floats on Paddy's Day. At least, I haven't seen any. Then again, maybe they don't show them on TV. PErhaps next time Texas sends over a contingent for the main parade in Dublin, instead of sending over cheerleaders, they should send over some bead receivers!  :)  I am SURE the parade would gain in popularity no end!  :)
Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 07:46:14 am »
Lorenzo,
You've got it wrong, the bare chested women aren't on the floats handing out the beads, they are the watchers and they flash the floats and parades as they go by to get the beads.........................you've got plenty of women watching the parades, right??
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 07:53:41 am »
*ahem... folks.... lets keep the convo off woman body parts, ok?*

SKYPE, YAY! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 05:07:13 pm »
Lorenzo,
I really don't understand much about blood pressure.  I figured high blood pressure means that it's going too fast through you so I would think that would warm you up??  I have no clue, really.  I would never make a good doctor when it comes to remembering all that technical stuff! I figure a vacation to any place that's warmer than it is here.  Actually, I prefer anything up around 70F or higher!  I usually get this way around January and decide I probably should have been a bear.  That way I could have hibernated all winter!  I hope your BP is doing better these days and glad to see your smiling face back on the forum  :)
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Lorenzo

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 01:54:22 am »
Ah, I see... now I get the idea. ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. Won't mention it again, ma'am.

Blood pressure. I'm not an expert but that's  the way I see it, as sort of explained to me by my GP. High blood pressure means that blood flow is restricted for whatever reason, so the pressure needs to be higher to keep the blood flow at a normal level. Which means the heart is working harder to. Taking drugs to dilate the blood vessels increases the blood flow, eases the flow, makes for less stress on the heart too.  So that's probably why they wanted you to go on drugs for HBP for your Raynauds. Anybody a better explanation? Seems to make sense to me in your case. You know, I think we do sort of hibernate anyway, lol  Our bodies slow down in winter, naturally. Personally I'd prefer to be wide awake and live somewhere warm. Wouldn't want to miss a bit of this life!

I am glad to be back, missed it. BP is still up, but this is just the start of a long journey. It'll take a bit of time to get it back to normal.

ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 01:58:07 am by Lorenzo »
doing great now.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 11:31:32 am »
Lorenzo,

More New years purging of closets…ckecking in on the forum during coffee break here… Many ‘celebratory bead stings’ from various (clothed  ;) :D) festivals are in a box to go off to the Goodwill… but before I drive anywhere where - I will stop in at Peet’s coffee and order a caramel latte. (Thanks to YOU Lorenzo I am SO addicted now- it IS better than Starbucks- I now agree). MMM maybe I should ask for a 'decaf'.

“How Peet’s Saved my Lifeâ€?  (then got me addicted)
( RE http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/books/review/Genzlinger-t.html;) :D ;D

I am so glad you are back Lorenzo.  I just knew you would be!  :)

Have you ever thought of becoming a distance education on-line instructor?

Here are some quick examples.

http://www.aionline.edu/degrees/graphic-design/?keyword=graphic%20arts%20education&publisherSite=DSGoogle

http://www.artinstitutes.edu/portland/programs_degrees.asp?pid=10&dtid=5&display=program&keyword=graphic%20art%20schools&publisherSite=DSGoogle

http://www.learn4good.com/distance_learn/distance_learn_canada.htm

http://www.distance-learning.ca/

http://www.open.ac.uk/

My own parents were pioneers in starting this institution- back in the 1960-80’s
http://www.athabascau.ca/

We may have come out of this AN journey with some ‘disabilities’ but I’ll bet also some new ‘abilities’. Many of us just simply gained some more internet experience by  conversing on this forum alone ...and researching links and trying to post photos etc. I know this forum made a huge difference in my recovery. The internet has opened up a whole new world (and job market) that never existed when you and I (us ‘old’ baby boomers LOL) were college aged kids.

I hope you and Capt Deb are still mulling over the idea that at the next ANA symposium we should look at opening up an art exhibit of healing AN’ers work in the conference center foyer. (And any other talented and creatively challenged artists from the ANA community that finds visual arts therapeutic.)

(Did anyone reading here ever sit in the waiting area at HEI and notice the multi-media artwork “Vestibular Journey�?… It would be prefect to put on exhibit at a ANA symposium! If they are willing to loan it for an exhibit.)

I think not just ‘physical rehabilitation’ but also ‘vocational rehabilitation’ are all part of the healing process

Maybe make another post on our “classroom noise� thread.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5313.0
 You could cut & paste your original text on this thread…and see what others, with experiences similar to yours, might also suggest (reply-post)

Lorenzo - Get yourself your own cappuccino- espresso maker. I will ship you some Peet’s BEANS (not beads  ;) :D) and you can make your own decaf (You can probably order on-line from USA to Ireland) and start firing out some resumes. As your on-line colleague (buddy and pal)  I would be happy to give you a reference… as I know you would be a great on-line instructor. (Fire me an e-mail.)

These obstacles, I am finding, can be overcome with some ideas, encouragement and positive thoughts from ANA buddies.

I hope these ideas lower you BP levels ole buddy! (All that eating out in American restaurants might not have been too good for you sodium levels either)

Take care and KEEP MOVING FORWARD!

Cheers,

4 :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 11:49:02 am »
My simplified nursing school explanation of blood pressure in lay man terms....

blood pressure is a measure of the amount of pressure on the blood vessel walls as the blood is going through.  The top number is when the heart is squeezing the blood out and the bottom number is when the heart is refilling with blood - which is why the top number is higher - it's being squeezed through.  If you try to put a gallon of water through a 1/2 inch hose, it will take more pressure to get it in there than trying to put the same amount of water through a 2 inch hose.

The drugs that dilate your blood vessels make it easier for the blood to get through the pipes, hence, less pressure on the vessel walls, and the less stress is put on the heart because it doesn't have to try so hard to get the blood to where it's going.

There are all kinds of blood pressure meds out - some that dilate blood vessels, some that help to remove some of the excess fluid from the blood, because decreasing the volume can decrease the pressure, some that can regulate the heart rate so that it can pump more efficiently.  It all depends on the underlying cause of your high blood pressure.

And that, in a nut shell, is our science lesson for today.  This may come in handy while watching Jeopardy some day.   ;)

Lori
p.s.  and good news!  My espresso maker is fixed!!!   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.