Author Topic: Gamma Knife Perfexion  (Read 3423 times)

Derek

Gamma Knife Perfexion
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:34:35 pm »
I have just been made aware of the latest GK 'Perfexion' model which has recently become available within the London area of the UK albeit I understand that it has been available elsewhere in Europe and in the US.

I have read professional reports on the purported impressive technical advances etc over the GK 'C' model whereby it is claimed that the latest equipment offers greater accuracy, increased patient comfort and reduced manual involvement re adjustments etc during the treatment session.

I wondered if anyone had any useful independent info particularly from the patient perspective and whether those currently contemplating GK treatment intend referrinbg to an establishment which has acquired the ''Perfexion' model.

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:11:13 am by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Gamma Knife Perfexion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:16:38 pm »
Hey Derek,

gotta URL/Link for that? I'd like to learn more on it.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
Hey Duke Derek: that's great news, the more tech the better- sorry I don't have any info. take care of yourself- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:46:31 pm »
Hey Derek,

gotta URL/Link for that? I'd like to learn more on it.....

Phyl

Hi there Phyl & Annie...

An independant assessment on the GK Perfexion model was carried out in France during 2006 and whilst it is a technical report it is very readable (fortunately it is in English!!) The reference is at

http://www.elekta.com/assets/gammaknife/perfexion/regis_perfexion.pdf 

and if you Google 'Gamma Knife Perfexion' you should be able to access plenty of other useful info.

Regards

Derek

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:22:32 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

alsummers

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:18 pm »
Derek,

I just had my radiosurgery treatment at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.  They are the only center in the US that currently has the new Perfexion.  They used the Perfexion on me but told me that the biggest advance in the Perfexion is for cancer patients with multiple tumors.

The treatment went well and they sent me home the same day. 

See my whole story in a new topic post called "considered all options- went with Gamma Knife Perfexion" that is currently listed right above this topic on the home page of radiation/radiosurgery.

Al

Derek

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:59:53 am »
Hi Al...

Many thanks for your very useful and informative posts in both threads. Glad to know that all went well for you with the new GK Perfexion treatment process and very best wishes to you for a complete recovery.

Regards

Derek