Author Topic: Oh my ... I am so axious .... appointment tomorrow .....  (Read 5618 times)

Denisex2boys

Oh my ... I am so axious .... appointment tomorrow .....
« on: February 07, 2008, 02:40:16 pm »
... oh my - whilst I have patiently waiting and anticipating meeting with the Neurosurgeon - my appointment is tomorrow - and I almost feel like I knew the 'script' but have now forgotten the words!

I last met with Dr. Parnes in Sept. and tomorrow I am meeting with him and Dr. Lownie -  4CM knows who they are :)  They are an awesome team!  But, the appointment I never thought would get here is HERE and I really don't know what to expect.  I know they will be reviewing my latest MRI (which I posted last week) and .. I guess, letting me know if there is growth or not ....... if it weren't for the fact that I have so many symptoms I would probably opt to wait this thing out a bit longer ..... the hearing loss was very sudden and I feel getting worse (but I don't really concern myself with that as I definately want to discuss the translab. approach with them - so I would be sacrificing what I have left anyway) - I want the MOST direct route to this thing with the least complications.  It's the pressure, headaches and tingling I am experiencing now - and I really don't want vertigo to set in - I have had a few dizzy moments but nothing that I can positively attribute to the AN.

SO, friends ....... what are they going to talk to me about tomorrow?  I value everyones previous opinion but I am not even thinking of radiation as on option - I want it gone, not dead, gone!  Just seeing the 'blob' on my MRI gives me the creeps.

I am just so anxious - it is such a weird feeling - it's not like having a bad gallbladder and being in pain ..... they perform surgery and the pain is gone ..... basically this is just to get rid of the tumor - right? - that the tinitus, pressure, tingling and headaches could persist?  Or will these cease with time.

Thank you all - keep your fingers, toes, eyes, legs, EVERYTHING xxxx'd for me tomorrow - and a few prayers will help too!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Oh my ... I am so axious .... appointment tomorrow .....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:47:04 pm »
well, Denise... looks like we both have AN appts tomorrow (and again, for me, on Monday).  Like you, nerves shake, but... I'm taking a deep breath and hoping for the best. I meet with my NS (back up AN microsurgical team if need be, as they also track/treat my Chiari 1) tomrrow and have my hearing test... Monday, I meet with my AN radiation team.  22 mos post CK and ......like you, nervous anxiety sets in.

so, let's take a deep breath together.  Ok, tomorrow, you think of me... and I'll think of you... and we go hand-in-hand to our respective AN dr appts tomorrow with a feeling of calm.... and peace... that all will be ok.

Whatta think?

Please hang in there hun......it's going to be ok.  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:40:29 pm »
Denise,

I'll be thinking of you.  You should have a nice glass of wine tonight and a hot bath.  Hubby needs to get the babies down early.  Than your hubby needs to give you a nice back massage so you can slip off into a deep relaxing sleep.  Good luck my Canadian buddy, i know you are in good hands......hubby's and Drs ;D

Phyl,

Good luck to you also.  I be thinking of you too!  Wine, bath, massage from hubby sounds like a plan for you too ;D

Both of you better post and let us know what the Drs say.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Denisex2boys

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:03:46 pm »
Thanks Anne Marie and Phyl!

.... don't great minds think alike! ...... Brendan and Mitchell are at Nana and Poppa's for the night as we need to be in London by 9:00 am - and with the load of snow we have it may be a slow go down the highway.  I just had a HOT HOT shower and am cooling down with a nice glass of red wine!  .... and this was all BEFORE reading your post!

Phyl .... I will definately be thinking of you tomorrow too!  ((((HUGS))))

I am not sure what I want to 'hear' - I think I almost want them to recommend that it comes out ... sooner than later ... my hearing is shot anyway ...   I don't think I will be able to stand this anxiety every 6 or so months.

.... and is it not true?  That the smaller it is the easier it is to get out and the less complications are encountered?

Thanks everyone!  I am such a newbie at all this that I am not all that a great resource for others .....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:16:25 am »
I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers today.  I hope your appointments go well.  I'm getting myself ready for my MRI today.  We are in this together..............Hugs and good wishes and thoughts.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 06:27:16 am »
*runs in .... gives huggles to all that needs them today.....  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-* *

Ok, let's knock em dead, stand tall and strong and let's go fer it!!!!!!!!!

xoxoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jackie

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:29 pm »
Hello to you "The Mighty Three",

May I just say that you are in my Prayers as I am sure the rest of our fellow AN'ers share your worries and concerns. May you all have "Good News" to celebrate. We'll look forward to sharing in your reports. God Bless you,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 01:05:44 pm »
Hi, all

I'm new at posting, though I've been eavesdropping for a while. You feel like family to me because we have a big deal in common. It's been very helpful reading all the input.

Like Denise, I too, hoped that the smaller the tumor (mine is 1.5cm), the easier the surgery. I found out this week from the nuerosurgeon that will be assisting in my surgery, that position of the tumor is a big factor, too. Mine is pretty far in, which would make it very difficult to get to with retrosigmoid, which is what my nuerotologist recommends. So the nuerosurgeon is recommending translab.

Good luck at your appointments.
Nice meeting you all. I look forward to participating in more discussions.

Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 06:07:31 pm »
Hi SYl and welcome! Good to see you here and hope the site and inputs shared by all is helping.  Nice to see others step out from "eavesdropping" and sharing experiences here... There are many here that have had translab done and I'm sure they are willing to share experiences with you.  Also looking to further participation from you :)

As for the appt... Tatianne just did a sweet post in "AN Issues" and I noted there my update from today's appt :)  Next stop, my CK team on Monday. 

As for Denise and Brenda.... {{{{{{{{{HUGGLES!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks again all!
Phyl

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 07:42:42 pm »
Great big huge Canadian Mothering Bear Hugs being sent you Phyl and Denise.
You are both on the top of my list for tomorrow in thoughts, prayer and well wishes.

Cheers,

P.S. Phyl I promise not to throw any snowballs at the neighbors horses while you are away … besides all our snow has melted and rained away… My Oregon rural neighboUrs still cannot pronounce “toboggan� without a puzzled look. Denise – when you are next tobogganing with the boys- think of those misplaced Canadians pining for snow instead of rain…

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:52:08 pm »
4, melted snow?!!?!?!?!?   :o  I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you all again... 2 down, 1 to go...

Denise!!!! HUGGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyl

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:45 pm »
Hi, all

I'm new at posting, though I've been eavesdropping for a while. You feel like family to me because we have a big deal in common. It's been very helpful reading all the input.

Like Denise, I too, hoped that the smaller the tumor (mine is 1.5cm), the easier the surgery. I found out this week from the nuerosurgeon that will be assisting in my surgery, that position of the tumor is a big factor, too. Mine is pretty far in, which would make it very difficult to get to with retrosigmoid, which is what my nuerotologist recommends. So the nuerosurgeon is recommending translab.

Good luck at your appointments.
Nice meeting you all. I look forward to participating in more discussions.

Syl

Syl,
Welcome to the site.  I noted that your doctor told you that the position of the tumor makes retorsigmoid difficult.  The position of the tumor is important.  Have you seen more than one doctor?  Are they both saying the same thing?  I can't stress enough that for this diagnosis and given the fact that there is time to research, getting a second opinion is desirable.

There is another surgery called Middle Fossa. Because of the incision location, the view is different.  This approach is used to attempt hearing preservation. Statistics show that the better the hearing one has ahead of the operation the better the chances of good hearing preservation. The location of the tumor on the superior nerve vs. the inferior nerve is better. The HEI website states that "In patients with small tumors who have been operated by the middle fossa approach since 1992., good hearing has been preserved in roughly two thirds of those patients. Any measurable level of hearing was preserved in 80%." It has higher hearing preservation rates for tumors under 2 cm than retrosigmoid. From the HEI website, it states that: "95% of 380 patients undergoing MF maintained excellent facial nerve function. Only five percent suffered minor weakness of facial nerve function."

The incision is made in front of the ear by creating a bone flap. There is an unobstructed view of the entire IAC with this surgical approach. This allows complete tumor removal. The middle fossa approach is performed by lifting of the temporal lobe of the brain. This approach is not recommended for patients above 60. At House Ear Institute, in a review of 500 cases with several years of follow-up, they identified only one case of residual tumor (0.2%).

Kindest regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:14:23 pm by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 04:17:55 am »
Kate
I will be getting another opinion on Monday.

The score so far:
Retrosigmoid = 1 and a half votes
Middle fossa = half a vote
Translab = 1 vote

The Dr. at HEI suggested either middle fossa or retro--that's how I got the halves.

I have a tentative surgery date set for May 19. It gives me time to research, consult, discuss, and think.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 06:56:21 am »
Syl,

Fast questions please... what is the exact size of your AN (unless I missed it somewhere....) and if 2cm or less... have you begun research of radiosurgery options or thoughts of consideration of radiosurgery?  Just curious....

Please hang in there......we're here to help.

Phyl

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 07:30:10 am »
Hi again Syl,

I am glad that you are going for another opinion on Monday.

When I look at your  doctor recommendations so far, only one doctor has recommended translab.

"Retrosigmoid = 1 and a half votes
Middle fossa = half a vote
Translab = 1 vote"

The HEI doctors didn't recommend that one. Did they say why?  The thing I found is that doctors typically have procedures they are the most comfortable with; even if they indicate they do all 3.  If time presents itself during the visit, ask how many patients have been operated (by them) using each procedure.

Do you have good hearing in the AN ear? If so, Middle Fossa gives you your best chance at retaining hearing. With translab, you lose your hearing.

Kindest regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 09:33:53 am by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/