Author Topic: Driving?  (Read 4318 times)

LADavid

Driving?
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:18:06 am »
It seems everyday I wake up with a new question for the group.  Today it's driving.  For those of you who have had surgery, when did you know you were able to drive safely?  I had surgery 12/3/07.  1.5 cm, stretched facial nerve, still have facial palsy and eye issues.  But my balance seems to be returning to acceptable.  I generally walk without a cane.  But I still have what seems to be a "full-head" and difficulty processing activity around me.  Also, when I'm outside, I find that sunlight is blinding even with sunglasses in my affected eye.  I'm 59 and a good,safe driver.  I just don't want to take any chances and get over my head out on the road.  Does anyone have some suggestions?  Thanks.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Driving?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:26:18 am »
Hi David,

I drove during the day first and at night second. At night I was more tired and when recovering, that is when I seemed to be off balance most.  That being said, I did not have the same reaction to light making it possible to drive early on during the day.
We all react differently don't we?

I also began with short driving jaunts...to the bank, to the store...etc...They were all local drives.

That was how I handled driving.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

lori67

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:13:02 am »
David - is it ever possible to drive safely in LA?   :D

I started driving again at about 2 months post-op.  I think I could have done it a little sooner, but I didn't need to, so I didn't.  I also started during the day on short trips, then worked my way up to the interstate and things like that.  I still don't like driving at night, but I can if i need to.  My biggest problems initially were that looking in the rear-view mirrors seemed to be very disorienting and turning my head did the same.  Hard to change lanes like that!  One of the PT's here gave me some at-home vestibular exercises to do that helped - I had to turn my head from side to side while sitting and then work my way up to doing while standing and then walking.  It did seem to help.

My doctor said I could drive when ever I felt ready, but suggested that rather than try it at Friday at 5pm rush hour on a busy street, i wait til Sunday morning in the        Wal Mart parking lot.  Good thinking!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 04:15:08 pm »
Hi, David:

My surgeon gave me permission to drive two weeks following my surgery.  However, I had very few issues, post-op.  AN surgical recovery is very individualized so I would I suggest that you consult with your doctor about the possibility of resuming driving .  From your description of your current condition (sunlight sensitivity, full head feeling, occasional processing difficulties), you may need to make a more complete recovery before being cleared to drive.  My advice to anyone 'coming back' from AN surgery: don't push it. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OTO

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:22:05 pm »
LADavid
I drove short trips to the market and around the neighborhood during the day at about 6 weeks post-op.  Night time driving bother me more with the glare of on-coming headlights and the darkness being a little more disorienting.   After about 10 weeks post-op I felt fully comfortable driving...

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
Hi David:   For me, driving was easier than walking!   I started driving 3 weeks post op, & on Interstate 95 (out of necessity).
              The only difficulty I felt was when you had to turn your head to the left or right - it caused dizziness but the more
              I did it the easier it got.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:31:34 pm »
Hello!
I don't even know how long it was, but I didn't go back to work until 3 months and it was well after that BUT I had a stroke on the operating table (& it was 12 years ago) so my recovery time was MUCH different than most of y'all's.  I was in therapy for the stroke and they had a driving simulator thing and they would not release me to drive until my reaction time was fast enough.  Thank goodness I had wonderful friends and family members that took me everywhere!  I had always used my mirrors a lot (that is just something my daddy stressed when teaching me to drive), but I use them even more now.  I was shopping for a new car not too long after I started driving again and we specifically made sure that I could see out REALLY well so the turning would be minimalized.  Some cars are truly MUCH easier to see out of from the driver's seat -- you might consider that...
Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:41:32 pm »
We have a similar experience as K's and my son is just going to rehab now to see his OT as they do a test for about $300 to check his reflexes and what not to determine if he can go back to driving.  He will also be going to the UW to use their simulator to reteach him how to drive if need be.  This service is available to patients other than stroke patients so I would check with your Doctors and see if they can help refer you.  Then you would know for sure you have done everything in your power to know you are a safe driver.

Speaking of safety in LA driving conditions we were in an Ambulance on our way to the Mediflight for my son and Bam we were hit by a crazy driver on the I-5 in LA.  We had to pull over and explain to the driver that ran into the Ambulance that we had an unstable patient and that we had to leave the scene now.  Boy was the Ambulance Driver mad!  I hate LA traffic.   :-\ 16
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:12:39 pm by OMG16 »
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 08:46:44 am »
David -

as you can see, everyone is different.   A lot depends on you and the rate at which you recover.  Your doctor will generally be able to tell you when he/she thinks it's safe.  I started driving again 6 weeks post op; probably would have done so a week or two earlier, but I was fairly fatigued and a little unsure of myself, so I didn't push it.   I also had the "luxury" of having a driver (my mom) to get me and my kids where we needed to go.  If I would have had no transportation, I would have been spurred to start driving that much sooner since it's such a necessity in my life.

As my doc suggested, I started out with small trips until I got used to driving again.  I also found it helpful to leave the radio off at first and to drive without my kids so I didn't have a lot of noisy distractions since my surgery left me with SSD.  Even today, when the weather is bad and driving conditions are "tough" I turn off the radio so I can concentrate better.

Once I got back to driving, I didn't have any problems with it.  Parking was another story - for a long time it was difficult to park between the lines in parking lots.  I had a hard time judging where my vehicle was; I thought I was dead center, but after I'd exit my vehicle I would see that I was way over to one side or the other  ;D It's comical to me now, but at the time, it was fairly annoying.  From what I recall, others had this same problem - we used to post about it.  If you search under "parking between the lines", you can probably find those posts.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 02:31:32 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice.  I think I'm probably being a little over-cautious since I occasionally get a little off-kilter when walking.  Since I live in the city, I had to park my car elsewhere during recovery.  So actually getting to the car and driving will be an event.  Based on your input I'm going to take a stab at it next weekend.  I'll keep you posted.

As for the comments on LA traffic -- I hate it too.  I don't really miss getting out in it.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 02:44:25 pm »
I will say that I have always deemed myself the "Parallel Parking Queen" -- I LOVE to PP.  And I still have it!!  I will whip my happy, little (big, really) Honda van in any spot!!  AN hasn't affected that!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »
I too started with shorts trips  .. getting milk etc .. I had trouble with blinking few months and got really blinded in sun-light .. I was VERY lucky my wife drove me every day for a few months (her trip to work took her right past mine! anyway) . driving to this day (2+ years) .. is different ..  I can not eat,cell phone, or look at street signs.. I must pay attention to the road ..  I have no trouble driving .. but my hands forgot..  as strange as it might sound .. you know how if you are looking at senery or a road sign your hand seem to keep the car straight .. not me.. the car wanders off quickly .. I've just learned I can't do that anymore..  :(   But you can still drive.. it fact.. since my surgery I have drivin in England and Italy (and broke a new personal best speed record)  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »
Ok, everyone in LA is advised to stay off the roads (and sidewalks) next weekend!   :o

Just kidding, David - you'll do just fine!  We're all behind you!  Because we wouldn't want to be in front of you when you're driving!  HA HA... I just crack myself up.

Let us know how it goes.

And K - next time I need to parallel park, I know who to call.  I think I did it right once - when i had to take my driving test many years ago.  I'm sure I couldn't do it again!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.