Author Topic: Newbie Gday from Australia  (Read 2023 times)

Micky

Newbie Gday from Australia
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:58:55 pm »
Hello all this is my first post finally joined up and what a great site this is, about me I am a 26 year old Male Firefighter from Australia.   I was diagnosed with a 3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma in November Last year had the usual symptoms of slight hearing loss and minor headache. I had the tumor removed on the 30th of January this year, 8 days in hospital had some reactions to the medication but doing ok now deaf in the left ear which will take a little to get used to. A question for someone out there if they have experienced the same thing, I had no facial problems when in hospital I could smile and blink properly but the last couple of days I have been getting facial weakness having trouble smiling and closing the affected sided eye, rang the surgeon and he recons it will go away with time as he did not cut the facial nerve anyone have any ideas? Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this

Regards Mick 
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:11:45 pm by Micky »
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

Kaybo

Re: Newbie Gday from Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:10:03 pm »
Hello from Texas and Welcome!
I didn't have the same issues that you are describing but sounds like you are doing well otherwise!
Hope someone has some more insightful information for you!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

fbarbera

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:40:37 pm »
I am no expert and would defer to others with more experience (I did not have surgery) but my understanding is that if you had nerve function immediately following the surgery (and it seems you most certainly did), it means there was no permanent damage to the facial nerve and it will heal and recover with time.   Sounds like your doctors did a marvelous job.  Congrats! 

Chambo

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:59 pm »
Gday Mick - I too am from Oz (Melb) and had my 3.5cm AN removed in mid 2006 at Royal Melb.

You shouldn't have too much to worry about. If you're slight facial weakness is kicking in 2 weeks after surgery, this is a GOOD sign for a tumor your size. My guess is that your facial weakness will be temporary only.

I too awoke from surgery with full movement and my nerve in tact. Full LS paralysis did kick in, however, a few days after surgery whilst still in hospital.

My eyelid recovered first (prob 6-8 mths post op); then smile/cheek (still not 100%) and my forehead is only just starting to come back 18 months post op. I continue to see improvements daily and am still confident of a full recovery.

Count yourself lucky mate - I reckon you'll be fine!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:20:34 pm by Chambo »
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:53:36 am »
Hello Mick,
  The surgeons like to ask you to do various facial contortions just after surgery so they can assess if there was damage to the facial nerve.  But some of these abilities can go away, usualy within the first day or so, for a while once healing and swelling starts to take place.  Surgery is a major trama to the area after all.  It's not uncommon for AN patients to have temporary facial paralysis, to varying degrees, for for varying lengths of time.  For an unlucky few, the paralysis can be more profound.  The symptoms you described, can't smile on one side and trouble blinking on the AN side are the common symptoms of facial nerve trama.  And many also have trouble with no tear production on the AN side.
  Since you had good facial movement just after surgery, and the fact that it took a while for symptoms to surface, my guess is that your surgeons expect a full facial movement recovery.
  Good luck with your recovery.  We also have another AN patient from down under on this forum, see screenname larry.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:17:40 am »
Hi Mick and welcome!  Good to see you here and hoping the responses thus far, plus checking around the site, will give you answers you seek. There is a forum here for facial issues... not sure if you had a chance to see it yet, but may be worth a peek as there are many posts there regarding facial issues...

Larry/Laz does need to show his cheeky face here!  He posts from time to time and is also a terrific reference (as Rob notes).  A dear man.... who needs to send me TimTams (Original flavor will do just fine, but I'll pass on Cadbury 3-Wishes... did nothing for me!)  :D

Again, welcome... and be well. Sending wellness wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tsl

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:42:40 am »
Hi Micky,
You might also want to check "Eye Issues" under the Post-Treatment category.  In postings from other folks there was the issue of protecting the eye when it wasn't able to close.
Best wishes and good luck.
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:45:46 pm »
Hi, Micky:

Welcome to the site and the forum.   :)

Glad to read that your surgery went well and your recovery is proceeding nicely.  I'm not a doctor and cannot offer medical advice but I know that even if the facial nerve isn't cut, post-op swelling occurs and that can distress the hyper-delicate facial nerves, leading to the kind of problems you've described.  I would trust your surgeon when he says this is likely temporary.  I had no facial problems post-op, but my AN-affected eye still doesn't always produce quite enough moisture and feels 'scratchy' at times, especially when I'm tired.  A few eye drops alleviate the problem...or I just go to bed if it's late.  My surgeon considers me very fortunate - and I agree.  I trust you'll have a similar experience and your current facial issues will soon be naturally resolved.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Micky

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 06:33:57 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great messages it is so nice to have a huge network of great people that have been through it all look forward to posting future questions im sure I will have more cheers

Mick 
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08