Author Topic: Taste In Regression  (Read 4297 times)

LADavid

Taste In Regression
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:50 pm »
Here's my daily "what the heck is going on" question.  Have any of you regained your taste during recovery only to have lost it again?  There was a period during the first month or so when all I could really taste was sweets.  Then I started to regain my taste and could taste all but a few things.  Then about a week ago -- nada on taste -- it seems the only thing I can taste now is Greek food -- especially Dolmades.  I can't even taste my favorite -- pizza!  Of course my real concern in all this is that the facial nerves may be regressing as well.  Anyone ever hear of that?
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

Re: Taste In Regression
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:37:23 pm »
David~
Sorry, I can't help ya -- one of the few things that didn't happen to me was that I never lost my taste (there are a few weeks in there that I don't really remember!!).  I even had a 12/7 graft -- where they take the tongue nerve and attach it to the facial -- and even though I can't chew on the R side & that side of my tongue doesn't work, I still have all tastes.  There were things I couldn't chew and still have things that are harder to chew and I lost 50 pounds when I had AN surgery, but could still taste.  Maybe I wouldn't be on Weight Watchers now if I couldn't taste!!  No, I really am sorry this is happening...hopefully someone else can give you better news!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:43:30 pm »
Hi David:  I know of people on this forum with taste issues & no facial issues, so I think the taste part is seperate from facial problems.  I unfortunately have both - boy do I miss the tasste of foods - especially hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, pizza, pasta, milk chocolate, rice pudding, pudding, clams, oysters, fish, lobsters, eel, sushi,  ice cream, milkshakes, curry goat, oxtails, fried chicken, etc, etc, ........   
But I CAN taste vegetables & fruit!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:45:34 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:23:09 pm »
I dont want to jump to conclusions - I am usually wrong 99 out of the hundred !
So - yes taste - or at least the smell function (which will seem like
the same thing) can be knocked out by swelling or even excess fluids
for 3-6-9 mths - and then return
- this unrelated to the facial nerve
Its best to tell your Doc and see what he says
Best Regards
Tony
p.s. think of it as a new diet - but without the guilt ?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:50:55 pm »
David -

my taste buds were out of whack off and on for many months post op.  In my case it wasn't related to facial nerve issues - I didn't really have any except for a very short time post op and they were solved with a dose of steroids. 

In addition to things have no taste at all, I experienced "metallic" tastes for a long time.  For the most part this has stopped, but on occasion, it still occurs.  From what I recall reading on this forum, taste issues are fairly common.

Hang in there, it should get better,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:01:24 pm »
I'm still having tast issues 10 months following surgery.  It seems to come and go.  I still have a little bit of the metallic taste.

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:25:06 pm »
No pizza, Nancyann!!!!!!!!!  My heart goes out to you.  My recovery is based on the day I can finally taste pizza!!!  Have you ever tried Dolmades?  They are grape leaf wraps.  I can really taste them.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:30:51 pm »
Jan
You mentioned that you had some post surgery issues with facial nerves and they were "cured" with steroids.  That made me think -- it seems that during the period when I was first home and taking steroids for my surgery healing, I seemed to be improving faster in a lot of categories.  It's been awhile and I didn't put it together until now.  Has that been the case with others?
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:45 pm »
David -

I say I was "cured" but should elaborate.  Post op the docs (neurotologist and neurosurgeon) kept asking me to smile - always fun when you've just had surgery LOL - and kept checking to see what the left side of my face was doing.  The first day I couldn't fully smile on the left side so they gave me a dose of steroids and in the subsequent days I was able to smile completely.  As far as I know, this was the only dose of steroids I received.  It took a day or two before I could smile completely, but this was the only issue I had with my facial nerves.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »
Hi, David:

My sense of taste was either active or inactive, so I can't offer any practical advice, except to consult your doctor, who may or may not be able to give you satisfactory answers.   

FWIW: Prior to my surgery I had pretty much lost my sense of taste and dropped 30+ pounds because food tasted like cardboard and so, I had no appetite. 

My sense of taste returned following the surgery, although not quite the same as before.  I still have a few tiny 'numb' spots on one side of my tongue but many foods and beverages taste even better than they used too.  My appetite is now back to normal and I didn't regain the weight I had lost.  My doctor said that the surgery may have triggered my metabolism, which was quite high - right up until I hit middle age. 

I hope your sense of taste returns as you continue to heal.  I suspect that it will.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 05:23:46 pm »
I will give Dolmades a try - I should be able to find them at Whole Foods Healthfood store - I'll give them a try,  thanks!    I do eat pizza, pasta, steak, etc - just can't taste it - I pour on the Romano cheese.  Because 1/2 my tastebuds are gone, taste is sooo minimal.   Funny, I can smell food fine, just the taste is so diminished. 
I use steak sauce on my steak when I use to love it plain.   Now I eat to live instead of live to eat!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 06:48:15 pm »
Nancyann -- I actually found the Dolmades in a Ralphs (Kroger chain) Deli Counter.  I thought I was going to have to go to a Trader Joes or someplace special -- but there they were.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 03:43:16 am »
the human body can be surprising - i developed numbness on my left tongue a month AFTER my surgery! it was a delayed response and with that i was not able to taste anything salty. I did not experience any metallatic taste or facial weakness.  during this time, the "roof" of my mouth was also numbed but only for a couple of days.  my tongue is slowly returning to normal, thankfully i can still continue to taste chocolates  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:36:12 am »
CTruffle  Thanks for the input.  I see we almost ran into each other at St Vincents.  I was the Monday after your surgery.  How's your recovery? Glad you can taste chocolates.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
My tongue was numb after surgery, but with everything else going on I didn't notice the taste thing for a while as I thought it was just numb.  I still lack taste and don't feel like I'm tasting anything as I used to...the right (salty) side of my tongue is pretty dead.  FYI, taste sensation comes from the Trigeminal (5th) nerve, so those of us that have taste problems, that's where it's coming from!  The Trigem is also the nerve the dentist hits with novocaine when you're having work on the lower teeth, so that's why your tongue feels funny for a bit. 

Going out for pizza tomorrow night, I don't care if I can't taste it as well, I'm still going to enjoy it!!!  :)
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar