Author Topic: Oh my GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3104 times)

Denisex2boys

Oh my GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:57:13 pm »
I got my pre-op testing in the mail today  ::)

Now I am really getting nervous .... pre-op is April 3rd - they said it would take about 4 - 5 hours - - yiks!  I guess this is it!  It's really going to happen .......  I would assume that my surgery will be sometime shortly after that .....  I need to start making another list of inquires now ......  JUST PLEASE PRAY that everything goes well!  I have had surgery before - but NOTHING to do with my head before (other than sinues) - YIKS!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Kaybo

Re: Oh my GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »
Denise~
Stop & take a deep breath!  You've got over a month and you know what you need to do...it will all work out!
We are here for you!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:41 pm »
Denise -

you'll be fine.  Don't worry too much about the impending surgery - you've already taken a huge step by deciding on a treatment option.

Relax,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:18:39 pm »
Denise, Jan is right - the decision is usually the hardest part.  Fortunately, from this point on, you'll have someone telling you what you need to do, so you won't have to worry about that.  You pretty much just show up when and where they tell you, and they know what they're doing from there.

The pre-op does take forever, but I'm pretty sure they could have it all finished up in about 30 minutes if they didn't keep you waiting!  Bring a book.  I've also found it's easier to write down any medications you take and the dose and also any previous surgeries, the dates and details, that way you don't have to repeat it all 10 times they ask you the same questions!  I just hand them the paper.

Things always seem to work out in the end.  There seems to be a common thread here about all of us being "planners", so if you're like the majority of us, you'll have everything in perfect order before you head to the hospital.  And if your family is anything like mine, they will screw up all your plans anyway, but like I said, it all seems to work out in the end.  In the big picture, does it really matter if your 4 year old goes to preschool looking like Pee Wee Herman after a bad night?  Probably not.

Good luck to you and try not to stress yourself out too much!  I know, easy for me to say.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

elderbirds

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:57:14 pm »
what exactily do they do at the pre-op?  is that just the pre-op history and physical?  I'm sure I will find out soon enough.
Hope

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:04:50 pm »
Hi Hope
I don't know if the pre-op is the same everywhere -- but at House it went something like this.  Consultation with the General Surgeon -- explained the procedure.  Consultaiton with the Neuro-Surgeon -- told me what he was going to be doing. Met with surgery coordinator -- did all my admit paperwork.  Then lab tests -- blood, urine, xray.  Then complete physical with the internist.  It wasn't bad -- it was just long and tedious.  I took crossword puzzles with me to keep me busy.  Good luck with yours.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »
It's pretty routine stuff.  Blood work, EKG, pee in a cup, go over your medical history.  I also had a physical with an internist (that lasted all of 5 seconds), fill out your insurance paperwork so everyone can make sure they're going to get paid, your religious preference in case they need to contact someone (sheesh.. let's hope we don't need to use that info!!).  They will probably also tell you what to bring with you that day, go over medications to avoid before surgery, tell you where to have your family park the car and wait...

And of course at my hospital, they schedule 50 people to be there at the same time, so you sit and wait.....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:22:47 am »
Denise,
You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Hang in there.  It will be over before you know it and you will be on the healing side.  Pre op took about forty-five minutes in my case.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Positive, happy thoughts and prayers coming your way.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT