Author Topic: House Brackmann Scale???  (Read 7799 times)

amymeri

House Brackmann Scale???
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »
Can someone point me to where I can find an easy-to-use House Brackmann scale for facial paralysis??
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

LADavid

Re: House Brackmann Scale???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:29:54 pm »
Hi amymeri
Funny you should ask.  I had the same question earlier today.  I don't remember what the link was that I opened but I googled Brackmann Scale Facial Palsy.  Several links popped up.  I seem to remember the link was a UK reference to the scale.  It gave the six stages.  I was stunned to see that I'm a six.  I'm guessing quite a few people on this board are a 5 or a 6.
Good luck with your search.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Glenda

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:48:12 pm »
Hello Amymeri

I found the URL listed below has a scale.  Sounds pretty easy.  I hope this helps!   

Glenda

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/bells/index_files/hbscale.htm
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:10:46 pm »
Thanks for the link to the facial paralysis scale.  I was a 6 and now I'm a 3.  Be nice to be a one again.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:27:22 pm »
Same here.. I was a 6+ .. for the first 12 months .. but now a 3 .. and would think I will be a 2  by next year at this rate..  will I ever be a "1" ... I dont think I will ever be 100% back to normal ... but over time I will be close....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:34:13 pm »
I'll always be a 6, but since my surgery to 'fix' my face, I feel like a million!!!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 08:15:03 pm »
This started me thinking -- and of course asking questions again -- does anyone know the scale norm for post AN surgeries?  And has there ever been a study to show average recovery times on the scale?  I'm seeing mainly references to years now and only 2 and 3 point improvements.  Maybe some of you mates who have been onboard for some time have a sense of that.  I'm guessing that there a lot of ANers who come and go on this board over a period of time and might leave clues as to when they leave.
Any thoughts?
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

amymeri

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 09:02:57 pm »
Thanks everyone!  That's just what I was looking for.

Immediately after surgery I was a 2, then for months I was a 6 and now almost 2 years out I would say I am a 3 -4.

So, that's progress.  If I didn't have synkinesis I believe I would be a 2 but those contractures just pull my face out of whack...mostly the lower lip.

<sigh> Keeping my fingers crossed for an honest 2-3 someday.

Amy

Amy

amymeri

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:10:38 pm »
Hi David

To answer your question...I am just guessing here but I am sure that many, many people who recover completely (or nearly so) just move on and people for whom this is "fresher" or have more complex cases and need support tend to stick around.

There are definitely people who are doing really well here and stick around to support others (thank you to them!) but I think most people are here to seek information and support because they are having problems or have questions.

There are so many sequelae with this tumor...hearing, balance, headache, facial palsy, facial numbness, eye issues....that I don't think any two people have just the same constellation so there isn't anything "typical"...because we are all atypical.

I think that is one of the most frustrating things...there is nothing to hang your hat on, because everything is "maybe".  Maybe you will have some of these issues....maybe they will go away....maybe in 2, 4, 6 months or maybe 2 years or maybe never.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.  If we could just know what to expect and how long to wait then it would be a lot easier.  On the other hand, if I had known that I was going to still be paralyzed 2 years later, I might've not made it through those first months of recovery.  I needed to have some hope in those initial hard weeks.

Amy
Amy

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:40:22 pm »
Maybe, maybe, maybe.  If we could just know what to expect and how long to wait then it would be a lot easier.  On the other hand, if I had known that I was going to still be paralyzed 2 years later, I might've not made it through those first months of recovery.  I needed to have some hope in those initial hard weeks.

Amy

Well said Amy,  Bravo
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 09:53:43 pm »
Thanks Amy.  I guess being the son of an engineer I'm always looking for empirical data and odds.  I do think it would be interesting to give newcomers a realistic prognosis when they come aboard.  Sort of a -- if you had a 2cm and your facial muscle nerve was stretched , the average recovery time was X.  Or the average length of time to regain your balance at 100% was X.  Like I said, I think it's the engineer genes in me that makes me ask.  Maybe there's some sort of poll we could start so those signing on would have some realisitc expectations.  If I had known reality post-sugery, I don't think I would have had such an agonizing first two months thinking that I did something wrong.  I'm trying not to be cynical in all of this, but if surgeons can define palsy on a scale why hasn't someone developed a realistic recovery scale?  My apologies for being so heavy here -- but I'm sensing that the AN realm may not be as patient friendly as we would like to believe.  I've had my share of problems with the House administrative staff to the point where I felt like I was being processed through a factory.  Like I said -- my apologies.  Having a bad day.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:11:36 am »
David - I think you have (this is) a GREAT question/suggestion -  'things that make you go HHHMMMMM'
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 12:09:38 pm »

Hi folks,

This was the best $2.00 I spent

The Facial Nerve and Acoustic Neuroma: Possible Damage and Rehabilitation (AN4)
Tips and information for patients who have facial weakness or paralysis after treatment for acoustic neuroma. Includes an explanation of the facial grading system and some exercises that can be performed at home to improve facial tone. Updated: February 2007

Price: $2.00

https://secure.baxinternet.com/~anausa/for_sale.html

Has more detail than the web-link (however still a great weblink that I too have forwarded to others) on the House Brackmann Scale … and I refer to it often.

Keep moving forward,

P.S. I have gone from #6 to a 2.6 in the last 6 months… not sure where I’ll be when this recovery finalizes… nevertheless I am glad to have the “4/s� in my past… not sure what is going to happen with the “synkinesis trip� here I am on…
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Glenda

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »
David.
I am watching and waiting at the moment, looking at options as I have a small AN.  I am waiting to receive a copy of my MRI to send to HEI for a consult.  I have been seriously considering them as I have not had good vibes from the Dr. I saw here in SC.  The statement you made about the administration at House concerns me.  Is there anywhere where the Dr's staff and administration understand what the patient is going through?  Do you feel you had good care there?  It would be quite expensive if I decide to come there and I need to know if it is worth the expense.  I have read alot of threads here and it seems as if the patients who went there have the least problems but as Amy said, that could be because the ones who recover tend to not stick around.  I am just confused and trying to make the right decision.
Thanks!
Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »
Hi Glenda
I don't know what the experience would be like in other institutes.  But I can give you my thoughts on House.  As far as the surgical and medical team is concerned, I felt completely confident in their capabilities and assessment of my condition.  They were very thorough.  They were recommended by a highly respected ENT here in LA.  And I had a successful surgery -- although I do think they should have been more realistic about my recovery period.
My problem with House stemmed from their administrative staff.  The Surgery Coordinator wasn't helpful, did only what her job required and eventually when I pushed for more details about my financial commitment, she became argumentative.
Jump to present time -- I just had an admin sit on my disability recertification for two weeks.  Only when I called to find out why the State didn't have it did she file the claim with a "oh I guess I should send that."  That left me in a financial hole that wasn't needed.
I also want to mention that House does a lot of their surgeries at St Vincents Hospital.  That was a wonderful experience.  The staff there was very supportive and did what was needed to make me feel comfortable.
As far as House is concerned -- follow-up.  I think highly of the medical team.  Not so much for the administration.  I hope that clarifies my reference.  If there are any other questions you have about House and St Vincents, please let me know.
Best wishes.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.