Author Topic: Off Topic: Getting Away ...  (Read 4793 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Off Topic: Getting Away ...
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:09 am »
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted, After two surgeries and GK, I just had to get away from the whole AN thing for awile. I realize that I will never be totally able to "get away" from it, but I needed a break from consuming my life with my AN. Anyway, I'm back and I'll try to check in more often. I hope you've all been well.

On a lighter note, and really unrelated, I'm looking for a quick vacation retreat for my wife and I over the summer. Maybe you all can help (Captain Deb)? We're talking about shipping the little one off to grandma's for a few days (3 or 4 or 5) and getting out of town. Hopefully to somewhere with a beach and some fun, laid back nightlife.

My first thought was Key West, FL, but it seems a little pricey. I'm in Michigan by the way. Anyone have any suggestions on a good 4-day getaway?

Thanks!

lori67

Re: Off Topic: Getting Away ...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:28:06 am »
Scott,

glad you're back and a vacation sounds like a great idea.  Key West is actually pretty affordable in the summer, as I've been told that's more of their "off season".  I've actually paid more when I went during the winter months, when the rest of us are trying to go where it's warm.  I've been in August, and found some pretty good deals - but is sure it hot!  Nothing a nice frozen Margarita can't handle though.  I know of a nice bed and breakfast down there that's in walking distance to just about everything, so you save money not having to rent a car or use your own.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the contact info.

Some other nice beachy places you could probably do in a short time span are the Outer Banks in North Carolina - very laid back and beachy - not a whole lot of nightlife.  There's also Myrtle Beach or Charleston.  Or you could come to the Jersey Shore with us this summer.  Okay, that probably doesn't sound as good as Key West, but hey, it's a beach!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:49 am »
Thanks Lori ... i would love the name of that Bed & Breakfast in Key West if you won't mind   :)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:19:31 pm »
Hi Scottie,

http://www.texaslesstraveled.com/beaches.htm

My thought was maybe head straight down to Texas and explore some of their beach areas.  Then I found this website.  Never been there, don't know what it's like, but I would suppose there would be some really nice places to explore. Also you could take in San Antonio and spend the day at Riverwalk.  Do you ever look at Google Earth?  Boyt that's a neat way of exploring an area and seeing if it would be someplace you'd like to visit.  I looked at the Riverwalk area and from the photos people post on there, it looks really fun.   Just a thought!  Also, there is always Cancun, if you want to see that area of the world.  So many places, so little time! (and money! )

Where ever you land, I hope you and your wife have a lovely getaway.  I told my husband I think he needs to take a few days off.  He gets tired.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »
Scottie~
Hi!  I'm in Texas so I don't really think of coming here for a vacation.  My husband LOVES Galveston, but I think it is not a very pretty beach (water).  I  have not been to Padre though - I think it is prettier.  We really like Cancun b/c from here, we can get there very quickly & my hubby's precious vacation days aren't used up for travel.  We like all inclusives, but if you want a LOT of night life, you have to think that is money on top of what you have already paid (I'm a cheapie!!).  We found a adult-only place last time that we REALLY liked if you are interested (we even went to the sister property this summer w/ our kids)!  Isn't it fun just planning a vacation, even if it is for a long time away?  It is almost like a little vacation itself!!
Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
Hi, Scottie,  I am in Texas, Victoria to be exact.  My favorite places are San Antonio for the things to see plus night life, and Rockport for the place to kick back and live in the beach community area.  Google Rockport Texas.  It has a lot to offer in good food, local cuisine, beach front with clean play areas, a few museums, art galleries, lots of palm trees, and fully equipped furnished rental homes owned by locals and folks from Houston and the Texas Hill Country.  August and September are the hottest and riskiest for hurricaines, so keep that in mind.  Fly into Corpus Christie (a pretty city in itself but not as intimate as Rockport) or drive down from Houston.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:34:19 pm by Boppie »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:48:43 pm »
I, too, suggest Key West.  There are a number of private houses, completed with swimming pools and hot tubs, that can be rented (check the internet) and they are very reasonable.  Summer rates are low since its offseason, and while it gets hot there in the summer, IMO its not unbearable.  The only thing that might cost you a bit is airfare since you typically have to fly into Miami and take a smaller plane to Key West.  The good news though is that you won't need a rental car once you get there.  Key West is very small and most things are within walking distance or you can rent bikes or motor scooters.  Its a great, laid back place.  If you go, check out Captain Tony's and Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville - both excellent places  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:23 am »
What about Mackinac Island???? (One of my favorite places in the world).  Sure, it's not tropical, but the serenity can't be beat, and it's close to home, so you won't have to waste lots of time in traveling.

I can recommend accomodations if (gasp!) you haven't been there before.

Wherever you go, have a great time!

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »
Hey Scott,
   Good to see you.  I too took a long break away from the forum.  Just lately been lurking a bit and posting from time to time.  Lots of the folks we chatted with have thinned out and taken breaks as well.  Hope you have been feeling well, I think aobut how you are doing.  If Key West turns out to be too expensive, you may want to consider north of Miami.  I spent a week in a little place across the street from Deerfield beach.  The place I wouldn't suggest, but the beach was very nice and plenty to do day or night.  It is between  Palm Beach and Del Rey beach.  Del Ray is really nice too.  Also,  Michelle, " Batty"  lives north of where I was, you may want to email her for some suggestions.  We got together when I was there.  Anything happening on the other site??

Take Care

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

TP

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:22:17 pm »
I live in northeast Florida and we have beautiful beaches and lots to do. I personally don't care for Key West. Key West is great for  snorkeling and fishing (plan on spending some bucks), however,  I would suggest somewhere near the Saint Augustine area. Not only are the beaches lovely, it is historic, there is antiquing all over the area, you can take a drive down to the Cape Kennedy or north to Fernandina Beach, the Jacksonville zoo is lovely and if you really are adventourous I recommend the Okefenokee National Park outside the Folkston, Georgia area (about 70 miles from St. Augustine). There you can rent a little motor boat and see all the alligators and wild life you can imagine. You can also drive west (about an hour) and visit natural springs and see the Manatee and snorkel in very cold water. As far as food and nightlight, awesome resturants and fun evenings in St. Augustine or head north to Jacksonville (30 miles) for some nightlife fun! I would fly into Jacksonville, FL airport and rent a car and head on down (short drive) to St. Augustine or Ponte Vedra Beach. You can't go wrong with a relaxing time and some excellent restaurants and fun evenings. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

lori67

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:29:14 pm »
Oh, yes, St. Augustine is beautiful!  And they have those ghost tours of the old houses - if you like that kind of thing.

Perhaps if you go there, you could send us all a few drops from the Fountain of Youth????  Or maybe a bucketful?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 05:46:06 pm »
So, Scott, have you made any travel plans yet  ???

Inquiring minds want to know - plus I like to live vicariously through others  ;D

I'm hoping to go to the Jersey shore this summer; my brother's friend is closing on a house about a mile from the ocean soon, so we're going to try for a family reunion of sorts.  If the house deal falls through, I guess we'll just be spending time in Illinois - or Wisconsin, if we're lucky.  Boy, that sounds kind of depresssing, doesn't it?  Not very tropical  :(

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 06:19:43 am »
I wanna go to the St. Augustines Lighthouse... bloke and I were discussing it last night... rumor has it the top of the lighthouse, after dark, truly comes "alive" :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
The Carolina Coast is really beee-yooo-tee-full!  Okrakoke Island just won most beautiful American beach award or something. The Outer Banks? Just gorgeous and very laid back and great in the springtime.

Capt Deb
who, of course, thinks everyone needs to go to the British Virgin Islands, or at least St John, USVI
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:44:36 am »
I couldn't agree more with you, Capt. Deb - I think we DO need to go there...when do we leave?

Jan, I'm going to the Jersey shore for a week this summer too - in July.  Maybe we could meet up for a slice of REAL pizza! (they don't have that in Nashville).

Do you think Scott has already packed up and moved to Key West?  Without us???

Lori